Start by marking “Paideia Program” as Want to Read:
Paideia Program

Paideia Program

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  5 reviews

A Simon & Schuster eBook
Published November 1st 1984 by Touchstone (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Paideia Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paideia Program

Angie Libert
A great plea for quality education, rather than quantity education for our children, complete with a thorough Appendix of recommended books for kindergarten through 12th grade. It also explains the three means of education: didactic, coaching and Socratic by detailing goals, areas and percentage of application.
Sara
A great commentary on the need for classics driven curriculum and a return to classical education. The book is more of a handbook or resource than a philosophical work (it is the third book in a series, the other two deal with more of the "why" and this is the "how"). I gained quite a bit of useful ideas and plan to keep this on my shelf for regular reference. The book lists in the back of the book are of great value to anyone who has a hand in the education of young minds.
Robert
I am a fan of the Paideia Program. I learned of it during my MST program as I became a teacher. I believe this was required for a class. There's a paper around here somewhere that highlights my thoughts on the program at the time.

Adler and I do not agree a lot politically, but he and I are aligned, as I recall, educationally.
Tia
Jan 03, 2012 Tia marked it as to-read
I've only read the first section of this book but I really connected with and enjoyed it. I was intrigued with the program, since it incorporated so many of my own ideals of educational excellence. Great for anyone that is or ever will be a teacher in any area!
Bryan
If someone would only give me, say $100 million, I'd put Mr. Adler's program in to practice.
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Edson
Edson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Derek Peffer
Derek Peffer marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Fooz
Fooz added it
Sep 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Maryrose
Maryrose marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mortimer Jerome Adler was an American educator, philosopher, and popular author. As a philosopher he worked with Aristotelian and Thomistic thought. He lived for the longest stretches in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and San Mateo. He worked for Columbia University, the University of Chicago, Encyclopædia Britannica, and Adler's own Institute for Philosophical Research.

Adler was born in N
More about Mortimer J. Adler...
How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading Aristotle for Everybody Ten Philosophical Mistakes How to Speak How to Listen Six Great Ideas