Start by marking “Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt” as Want to Read:
Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt

Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Until her death when he was 20, David B. Roosevelt enjoyed a close relationship with his grandmother Eleanor Roosevelt. Now David shares personal family stories and photographs that show Eleanor as she really was.
Published November 15th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Grandmere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandmere

Judie
Oct 29, 2015 Judie rated it it was amazing
GRANDMÈRE

I always thought Eleanor Roosevelt was an amazing woman. After reading GRANDMÈRE A PERSONAL HISTORY OF ELEANOR ROOSEVELT by her grandson, David Roosevelt, I believe I underestimated her.
She was born in 1884 to a young mother who was remote and rejecting and a father who she adored but was an alcoholic. Her mother died when Eleanor was 8 and her father two years later. She lived with other relatives as she grew up and especially enjoyed spending time with her uncle, future President Th
Charlene
Oct 20, 2013 Charlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Written by her grandson, the book contains personal remembrances and family photos (as well as retelling the wonderful woman's history) giving it an extra sparkle. Eleanor Roosevelt is a favorite among the former First Ladies, and this book reaffirms the reasons why people hold her in such high regard.

For those not familiar with her services on behalf of this country, the book details her many achievements while she was a steadfast wife and loving mother to a large family. The fact that the book
Jessica
Feb 27, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
An inside look at an amazing lady I knew very little about. She did some of her best work after the death of FDR, what a wonderful woman!!
Linda
Jan 23, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Grandmere is a lovely inside look into the life of Eleanor Roosevelt from the point of view of her grandson David. He covers events in his grandmothers life with honesty and facts while still showing tenderness and fondness. The many family photos were especially interesting. The book also quotes Eleanor and Franklin's own children on different subjects concerning their parents that only immediate family would know. A pleasant read for sure.
Paula
Jul 08, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Seeing photos of Val-Kill as I remember it in my childhood was wonderful. Eleanor Roosevelt was an extraordinary woman. The views presented here were interesting to read as they were more the views of family members than of historians or biographers. The family stories made me feel like I was given a personal glimpse inside the Roosevelt family.
Susan
Nov 25, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this gentle, loving view of Eleanor Roosevelt. The eBook is replete with typos that make me crazy though. This book continued to interest me. I didn't realize that she helped write the UN statement on human rights, presented in it's entirety here. It is continually and totally violated.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
I have read so many books about the Roosevelts. I picked this one up because it was written by her grandson, and I always like the personal remembrances of people who actually knew the subject of the book. This yielded a few new perspectives and overall was a delightful read.
Jill
Aug 09, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios-memoirs
Written by her grandson from a perspective that could only come from a grandchild that had spent a large part of his childhood around her. But also includes important events in her life and the family's thoughts about how she absorbed those events, struggled, prospered, etc.
Nancy
Apr 18, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Inspired by our trip to Hyde Park, I picked up this book at the library. It is a personal remembrance, with many, many photos, of Eleanor Roosevelt by her grandson. I really enjoyed the book and it makes me want to know more of Eleanor and the Roosevelts.
Elizabeth
Aug 23, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
A wonderful biography of Eleanor Roosevelt told by her grandson. Complete with lots of amazing photos and a family tree that helped me with the somewhat confusing connections. I loved hearing her story from the perspective of family. A truly amazing woman.
Ronald
Jan 25, 2014 Ronald rated it really liked it
Amazing woman! And interesting to read about her from her grandson's perspective.
Andrea
May 13, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
Lots of pictures and interesting first (or second or third) hand information.

2009 Spring Challenge category: Fiction and non-fiction on same topic/theme
Mary Anne
Nov 01, 2014 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
The lovely and inspiring story of Eleanor Roosevelt.
Lindsay
Jan 09, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
A great way to not just learn about Eleanor Roosevelt, but also meet her ... As a woman and of course as a grandmère!
Suzie
Feb 23, 2008 Suzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book - it gave a "well-rounded" story of the life of Eleanor Roosevelt & included pictures.
Lauriepopwell
May 22, 2011 Lauriepopwell rated it really liked it
Written by one of ER and FDR's grandsons.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Gail Showalter
Gail Showalter rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Eileen Brown
Eileen Brown rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Starfighter
Starfighter marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Meryl Reyman
Meryl Reyman rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Aug 23, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Harmien
Harmien rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015