Start by marking “Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt” as Want to Read:
Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt

Grandmere: A Personal History of Eleanor Roosevelt

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Until her death when he was 20, David B. Roosevelt enjoyed a close relationship with his grandmother Eleanor Roosevelt. Now David shares personal family stories and photographs that show Eleanor as she really was.
Published November 15th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Grandmere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandmere

Judie
GRANDMÈRE

I always thought Eleanor Roosevelt was an amazing woman. After reading GRANDMÈRE A PERSONAL HISTORY OF ELEANOR ROOSEVELT by her grandson, David Roosevelt, I believe I underestimated her.
She was born in 1884 to a young mother who was remote and rejecting and a father who she adored but was an alcoholic. Her mother died when Eleanor was 8 and her father two years later. She lived with other relatives as she grew up and especially enjoyed spending time with her uncle, future President Th
Linda
Grandmere is a lovely inside look into the life of Eleanor Roosevelt from the point of view of her grandson David. He covers events in his grandmothers life with honesty and facts while still showing tenderness and fondness. The many family photos were especially interesting. The book also quotes Eleanor and Franklin's own children on different subjects concerning their parents that only immediate family would know. A pleasant read for sure.
Charlene
Written by her grandson, the book contains personal remembrances and family photos (as well as retelling the wonderful woman's history) giving it an extra sparkle. Eleanor Roosevelt is a favorite among the former First Ladies, and this book reaffirms the reasons why people hold her in such high regard.

For those not familiar with her services on behalf of this country, the book details her many achievements while she was a steadfast wife and loving mother to a large family. The fact that the book
Jessica
An inside look at an amazing lady I knew very little about. She did some of her best work after the death of FDR, what a wonderful woman!!
Paula
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Seeing photos of Val-Kill as I remember it in my childhood was wonderful. Eleanor Roosevelt was an extraordinary woman. The views presented here were interesting to read as they were more the views of family members than of historians or biographers. The family stories made me feel like I was given a personal glimpse inside the Roosevelt family.
Susan
I'm really enjoying this gentle, loving view of Eleanor Roosevelt. The eBook is replete with typos that make me crazy though. This book continued to interest me. I didn't realize that she helped write the UN statement on human rights, presented in it's entirety here. It is continually and totally violated.
Lisa
I have read so many books about the Roosevelts. I picked this one up because it was written by her grandson, and I always like the personal remembrances of people who actually knew the subject of the book. This yielded a few new perspectives and overall was a delightful read.
Jill
Written by her grandson from a perspective that could only come from a grandchild that had spent a large part of his childhood around her. But also includes important events in her life and the family's thoughts about how she absorbed those events, struggled, prospered, etc.
Nancy
Inspired by our trip to Hyde Park, I picked up this book at the library. It is a personal remembrance, with many, many photos, of Eleanor Roosevelt by her grandson. I really enjoyed the book and it makes me want to know more of Eleanor and the Roosevelts.
Elizabeth
A wonderful biography of Eleanor Roosevelt told by her grandson. Complete with lots of amazing photos and a family tree that helped me with the somewhat confusing connections. I loved hearing her story from the perspective of family. A truly amazing woman.
Ronald
Amazing woman! And interesting to read about her from her grandson's perspective.
Andrea
Lots of pictures and interesting first (or second or third) hand information.

2009 Spring Challenge category: Fiction and non-fiction on same topic/theme
Mary Anne
The lovely and inspiring story of Eleanor Roosevelt.
Lindsay
A great way to not just learn about Eleanor Roosevelt, but also meet her ... As a woman and of course as a grandmère!
Suzie
I really liked this book - it gave a "well-rounded" story of the life of Eleanor Roosevelt & included pictures.
Lauriepopwell
Written by one of ER and FDR's grandsons.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Bea Quintos
Bea Quintos marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Francine Craven
Francine Craven marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014