Start by marking “Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy” as Want to Read:
Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy

Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  552 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
"Adler traces 'in the simplest language & with occasional modern analogues, the logic & growth of Aristotle's basic doctrines.'" Publishers Weekly
Aristotle (384-322 BCE) taught logic to Alexander the Great &, by virtue of his philosophical works, to every philosopher since, from Marcus Aurelius, to Thomas Aquinas, to Mortimer J. Adler. Now Adler instructs the
Published May 1st 1978 by Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc. (NYC) (first published 1978)

Riku Sayuj

Aristotle IS Everybody

We often come across teachers or books getting us to understand a philosopher. It is only common sense, they say. See, this is their thought: in a nutshell. See how easy it is? You already knew all this. You just have to remember that this guy talked of it first.

You read those and come away with a feeling that you now understand the philosopher. Worse, you might come away feeling that the great guy was so wrong! Surely you are quite smart if you know more than Aristotle!

Wel
Chris
May 26, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book my Mortimer J. Adler that I have read. The first was ‘How to Read a Book.’ I know, how can you read a book titled How to Read a Book, if you don’t already know how to read? Adler already expected his audience to be literate, the point of the book was to read and comprehend, ascertain, and fully exercise one’s understanding faculties, when reading ANY book, no matter how difficult. Although that book was required school reading, it was one of the clearest texts I’ve ever r ...more
Erik Graff
Sep 27, 2013 Erik Graff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aristotle beginners
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: philosophy
In 1980, two years after completing a professional degree in psychology, after two years of earning a living as a childcare worker for ostensibly 'psychotic' adolescent boys, I decided to return to school. I'd liked the jobs I'd had, but they had no future and such challenges as they'd originally posed had been overcome.

My psychology degree hadn't been a practical one, my focus being on the depth psychologies of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, my thesis having been on Kant's influence on
Kenneth Hicks
Feb 21, 2015 Kenneth Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting in college, I tried to read Aristotle and found it hard going, to say the least. Every few years, thinking that maybe I was becoming more mature with age (hah!), I would pick the book up and try again. The only part of his writing that I got through without a problem was his writings on the various constitutions of the Greek city states, which was pretty much straight history. Anyway, I had already read one book by Mortimer Adler that was written with wonderful clarity about a difficult ...more
Melora
May 16, 2014 Melora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize, when I started this, that it was intended for young readers -- Adler mentions that his 11 year old and 13 year old sons critiqued the manuscript. His tone is, at a few points, annoyingly condescending, but otherwise this was a pleasant, quick introduction to Aristotle. Actually, aside from the section on Eternity, which was new to me, most of this was familiar, but a little review never hurts.

A friend of mine who sampled this and decided against it commented that it seemed lik
Erica
Sep 21, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book establishes Aristotle's "uncommon common sense" as central to the thinking of our everyday lives in Western society--that is, society that has come out of the Greco-Roman and Judeo-Christian traditions. The early chapters seem to illustrate truths so elementary that it is strange to realize that there was a time that these notions were not regarded as common knowledge. The later chapters regarding Aristotle's logic and terminology were painful to me. I have studied symbolic logic and f ...more
Clay Kallam
Jun 24, 2009 Clay Kallam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mortimer J. Adler is a renowned philospher, but this slim paperback avoid the jargon and linguistic complexities that make modern philosophy too often turgid and self-involved. Instead, Adler just summarizes Aristotle's thought, and though at times it seems a little too simplistic, at book's end, the reader will have a clear and distinct impression of Aristotle's philosophy.

At the same time, the reader will begin to understand why Aristotle was so revered in medieval times: The range and depth o
Joseph R.
Feb 23, 2015 Joseph R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2015, philosophy
Writing a comprehensive and concise summary of Aristotle's ideas is a difficult task, especially if the author wishes it to be accessible not only to the average reader but also to children in middle school. That ambition is what Mortimer Adler aimed at with this book. His thirteen year-old and his eleven year-old read the manuscript and gave helpful feedback, so he certainly thinks it is a success. But is it readable for children who don't have a professional philosopher and intellectual for a ...more
KarmA1966
If this is Aristotle for Everybody then I'd hate to see Aristotle for Nobody (golf clap, scattered groans)

I read this book in the 90s and it hit me like a puff of smoke. So, stubborn mule that I am I decided to give it another try. It didn't hit me until late in the game -- when Adler said Aristotle is a logician -- that I realized why Aristotle seemed so elusive to me. "A logician is a person whose topic of scholarly study is logic." source: wikipedia.

Ah, it all made sense. Logic for me does no
Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar
Jun 21, 2015 Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filosofía
Si la idea del "sentido común" es atractiva al lector, cuánto más lo será la del "poco común sentido común". Así califica M. Adler a Aristóteles, uno de esos hombres que llega a finalista central en cualquier lista que pueda hacerse de personajes influyentes en toda nuestra historia.
Leer los originales de Aristóteles es difícil y esa dificultad frena al lector actual. Gracias a Adler, sin embargo, el problema se resuelve para el lector de estos tiempos, el que ahora tiene una guía comprensible d
James
Nov 10, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
An excellent intro to Aristotle in particular and philosophy in general.
Mike
Jul 26, 2008 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After this book I remembered why I did not want to major in Philosophy.
Robert
For everybody? Even a child can understand? No.

It seems ironic to me that many people seem to think this book is too simple to understand. I think it suffers from the opposite problem. If you are not interested in philosophy persé and just want to know about Aristotle because he seems to be one of the few philosophers that actually had anything practical and insightful to say then you will be disappointed with this book. It reads like a philosophy book: dull, complex and verbose, needlessly so.
Ilib4kids
185 ADL

Plato: man and women are equal
Aristotle(a student of Plato): born 384 B.C, man and women are not equal
Plato: a student of Socrates

My review: this book is about "Introduction to common sense of Aristotle", which regard by the author as Aristotle's uncommon common sense. It is well written, simple and compact and very well organized. Each chapter answer the questioned lead by previous chapter. very logical and reasoning.

Part I Man the philosophical Animals
Philosophical Games; The great Div
Michael Dorais
May 19, 2013 Michael Dorais rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book is a fast and worthwhile to read. It was written originally as a book to explain Aristotle to children ages 11 and above, but is wholly adult oriented as well.

Although Adler skirts over some difficult problems with the claims he makes, or the claims he says Aristotle makes, this is expected given the goal of this book. I think the problem with books that try to deal immediately with every problem that someone might raise loose their ability to communicate an attempt at a coheren
Gene
Jul 21, 2013 Gene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good introduction to Greek philosophy, if I can say so without being very knowledgeable on the topic. Some of what is contained in the book helps explain some of what I've read about St. Thomas Aquinas' writings. It also seems that Chas. Murray must have gotten the backbone of what he wrote about in In Pursuit of Happiness and Good Government either directly from Aristotle (He's smart enough to have done so.) or indirectly through Adler's book or one much like it. And I also saw some pa ...more
Edward
Jul 05, 2012 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This small book is a good first introduction to Aristotle and it is easily read. However, it requires some amount of attention on the reader’s part to understand the import of what Adler is talking about otherwise certain points can easily slip by.

Some of the early chapters can be frustrating because Aristotle gives the appearance that he can prove anything just by choosing his arguments to fit his observations which gives one the impression that his argument is circular. Aristotle can be forgiv
Jimmy
Nov 01, 2012 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Two common games--"Twenty Questions" and "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral"--are Aristotelian because they classify things.

Man's three dimensions:1. making not only works of art but all man-made things, 2. doing in both social and moral spheres, and 3. knowing or acquiring knowledge. Another way to put it: making is the concern for beauty, doing is the concern for the good, and knowing is the concern for the truth. Beauty, goodness, and truth.

The good man obeys just laws because he is virtuous, not
Mike W
May 10, 2013 Mike W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy

This is a decent introduction to Aristotle's thought. In it, Mortimer Adler presents the great thinkers ideas clearly and logically-but also prosaically. It is true that Aristotle's own writings lack the poetry and eloquence of Plato's, but that might be because the works we have were merely lecture notes transcribed by his students, rather than Aristotle's own literary creations. And there are certainly passages in Aristotle's works that sparkle, like this description of the "great-souled man":
Brian
Aug 12, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in my beginning philosophy class at BYU and it's been unread on my shelf since then. Now, clearly more sophisticated (ptbfbbb!), I was actually interested enough to pick it up and try and understand what was written.

The concept of the book is pretty straightforward: take Aristotle's writings and put them into everyday language and concepts. It mostly succeeded in being understandable. There is a lot of ground covered in a (relatively) short number of pages, so at times it moves
Jess Dollar
Jan 10, 2016 Jess Dollar rated it liked it
I really just cared about the middle section on living a happy life but read the whole thing.
It's simply written and easy to follow. My only complaint is that he didn't use any of the Greek terms for things. So I read all about eudaimonia but he never mentioned that word, which could be a stumbling block later on when you read other things on Aristotle.
Erica Hasselbach
Having Aristotle and his philosophies simplified is a great thing to have in a book, yet I just feel that the way Adler handles it is somewhat insulting. He seems to write as if the reader is a child with absolutely no understanding for history or philosophy as a whole.

I feel like "Aristotle: Dumbed Down" would have been a more accurate title.
Lewis Hotchkiss
Nov 18, 2013 Lewis Hotchkiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it first came out, 1978, in the dinosaur days. Adler was still big on his Great Books kick with Chicago. . . I refuse to digress! Anyhow, this book was aimed at a pop audience that had just experienced the end of the Vietnam war, the end of the crazy 1960's, and the beginning of Stagflation---the economy was experiencing a weirdness not seen before or since it ended. Look that econ term up on Google if you want. Anyhow, Adler presents much of what Aristotle is onto in concise an ...more
Kate
Oct 06, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school intellectuals
Shelves: academic
In Adler's preface to this edition, he writes that he considered entitling this book Aristotle for Children. I'm not sure that it would have sold as well with that title, but the title would have better described the book you are buying.

First of all, I did like this book. I have read no Aristotle at all or any other philosopher at great length.

Some ideas (creation, production, contradictory, contrary, subcontrary statements, living well) were presented in more detail while others (disjunctions
Nicky
Nov 16, 2009 Nicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Spanning metaphysics, logic, ethics, and epistemology, Adler gives an excellent brief introduction to the philosophy of Aristotle. The epilogue contains references to the sections of Aristotelian writings from which the specific parts in the book were drawn, which is quite helpful for someone already familiar with Aristotle or looking to read more about the topics presented.

Aristotle for Everybody doesn't assume any previous knowledge of philosophy on the part of the reader, so some parts may se
Fred
May 04, 2014 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never realized how many of the "great philosophical" questions were answered by Aristotle. Why do current thinkers keep bringing up these questions of mind, spirit, values, ethics, politics as if the answers are subject to debate? We live in crazy times.
Sherri Sullivan
May 03, 2015 Sherri Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, basic overview of Aristotle. Now I'm ready to add a bit more depth to my studies.

(An interesting side note: it has a lot in common with my programming books. I know have a much better understanding of OOP)
Gavin
May 11, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a nice introduction to Aristotle. It helps give a broad overview of Aristotle's thought and makes his ideas easy to understand. This book would be helpful before reading Aristotle's original works.
Paul McAtee
Oct 24, 2015 Paul McAtee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Great introduction to the basics of Aristotle and he dumbs it down pretty good for the rest of us. Doug Pridgen recommended this one to me and it was a darn good one, I reference back to it frequently.
Charles Lewis
Jul 01, 2011 Charles Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My formal education was a bit a weak but at one point I wanted to read some deeper Catholic theology. I bought the easiest version of the ST. Thomas Aquinas' "Summa" call A Shorter Summa, edited by Peter Kreeft. In the introduction Kreeft said don't even try reading and version of the Summa without some background in philosophy. His suggestion was Aristotle for Everybody. It's one of those books that will make you feel smarter and also give you the fundamental notions of logic. I'm still working ...more
  • A History of Philosophy 6: Modern Philosophy
  • The Christian Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
  • Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Trial of Socrates
  • Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensées - Edited, Outlined & Explained
  • Mind, Language And Society: Philosophy In The Real World
  • Selected Writings
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • Paideia: The Ideals of Greek Culture, 3 Vols
  • Guide to Thomas Aquinas
  • The Collected Dialogues
  • A Short History Of Ethics: A History Of Moral Philosophy From The Homeric Age To The Twentieth Century
Mortimer Jerome Adler was an American educator, philosopher, and popular author. As a philosopher he worked with Aristotelian and Thomistic thought. He lived for the longest stretches in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and San Mateo. He worked for Columbia University, the University of Chicago, Encyclopædia Britannica, and Adler's own Institute for Philosophical Research.

Adler was born in N
More about Mortimer J. Adler...