Start by marking “Things Unspoken” as Want to Read:
Things Unspoken

Things Unspoken

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The halcyon days of Los Angeles in the '50s are the seductive setting for this mesmerizing novel, chosen by the Los Angeles Times as one of the Best Books of the year. After her mother's death, young Jorie grows up with her two older brothers and a mostly absent physician-father. While her brothers become increasingly wild, Jorie becomes the central force holding the famil ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Things Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things Unspoken

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerSalvaged by Stefne MillerForever by Judy BlumeAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Feet!
337th out of 435 books — 310 voters
Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsThoughtless by S.C. StephensAmy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonBetween the Lines by Tammara WebberLeaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles
Holding Hands
133rd out of 254 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
This is marked as the first novel for Anitra Sheen. I hope there are many more to follow. The writing is spare and deeply honest. I have just now closed the cover after reading and re-reading the last words. I am leveled. Beautiful writing.
Kathy
A story of a very sad and lonely childhood. Jorie was the youngest of three children and tried the best she could to fulfull the role of mother. It is sad that children are sometimes forced to grow up way too soon and that her father did not know how or didn't want to bother to be a parent. Jorie tries desperately to create a "normal" family.
Jaymi
I just read this book...and yet, I can barely even remember it.
That can't be a good sign, right? I mean, I think I liked it, thought it was enjoyable and read it relatively quickly. I have a really bleak outline of the story in my head right now. I remember that I liked the main character enough to be interested in what was going to happen to her. But it all just seemed so sad and I remember wanting to kick the Dad in the shins. Ok, so I remember a little more than I thought, but that still isn'
Karen
Well written. Not a page turner in the typical sense, but she leaves you wanting to see what happens next. There were certain points in the book that were real "aha" moments for me. They really helped me understand moments in my own life when my child's mind made meaning of things in a way only a child can make.
Brandy
This book was pretty good. It was such a strange disturbing and weird story. You really felt for the characters. I felt let down at the endthough about really understanding the father and what his secrets were. I also would have liked to know what happened as she grew up and left home.
Tracey
I just didn't have any feelings for the characters or really care at all what happened to them. If you are going to have a "mobster" undertone, then shouldn't your setting be in Chicago or NYC not LA?
Lindy
A tale of a young girl growing up in Hollywood in the 1940s. A hard read because her mom dies and her dad is very removed from parenting, but an enjoyable tale of her childhood.
Karen
This was an interesting and unusual perspective on life through the eyes of a young girl. The descriptive writing was quite good and overall the book was truly a good read.
Katherine
I would give this 3-1/2 stars. The writing was really strong and the story interesting but just too depressing overall for my taste.
Caitlin
One of the best books that I have read recently. I felt such a connection to the characters.
Alli
The emotional neglect is infuriating & sad to read, but so well done I couldn't put the book down.
Abby
It's a slow book, not a lot of drama but the end of the book is VERY good.
Rosie
I really enjoyed this book
recommend
Barbara
Dark and disturbing
Tiago Defendi
Tiago Defendi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jeanette M. Reeves
Jeanette M. Reeves marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Raquel Casey
Raquel Casey marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Randee
Randee marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Kathleen Southworth
Kathleen Southworth marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Lori Barnes
Lori Barnes marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Box Children
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart: A Novel
  • Shadow Baby
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • For the May Queen
  • Why Big Fierce Animals Are Rare: An Ecologist's Perspective
  • Thicker Than Water
  • Love, Sara
  • Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy
  • Shards: A Young Vice Cop Investigates Her Darkest Case of Meth Addiction—Her Own
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image