Start by marking “The Foundations of Mysticism: Presence of God:A History of Western Christian Mysticism, Vol 1 (Presence of God: a History of Western Christian Mysticism)” as Want to Read:

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In this first volume of the highly-acclaimed Presence of God series, Bernard McGinn explores the origins of Christian mysticism, from early Jewish apocalyptic writings to pre-Christian Greek contemplative thought; the New Testament witnesses; early Greek Patristic thought; and the contribution of early monastic practice. In Part 2, McGinn discusses Western Christian mystic ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Herder & Herder (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Foundations of Mysticism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foundations of Mysticism

booklady
Mar 03, 2014 booklady marked it as backburner
March 3, 2014: Putting this on Back burner for now.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Have discovered extensive highlighting in my copy of this book, which I know I bought new ... so I must have started this once before and indeed parts of it are very familiar. Begins with seeds of mysticism as they first showed growth within the Jewish faith, then in the Hellenistic world of Plato's philosophy. Think I'm going to look through my Great Courses
Ron Krumpos
Jul 13, 2014 Ron Krumpos rated it it was amazing
Bernard McGinn is the foremost writer on Christian mysticism of the 20th century and, perhaps, of all times. His four volume works on 'The Presence of God' - although lengthy reading - are both enjoyable and informative. Through our many emails, I also consider him a friend.

"The Foundations of Mysticism / Origins to the Fifth Century" is one of the books in the primary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism" at suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf and essential for anyone interested in
Paul
Nov 05, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-mysticism
A work in progress - four of a projected six volumes have been published - this is the best available overview and study of Western Christian mysticism. So far, McGinn has covered, in historical sequence, from the beginnings of Christianity (and older influences on early Christianity) through the fifteenth century.
Emily
Jan 02, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in mysticism
Shelves: undergrad, grad
I need to reread this book more thoroughly, but I know McGinn is a highly-respected scholar of mysticism, specifically Meister Eckhart, my favorite/subject of study. His writing is clear and engaging, especially for a textbook.
Glen
Jan 03, 2009 Glen rated it it was amazing
First and best volume of an epic history of mysticism in the west. In this volume he constructs a great theoretical and historical framework for understanding the Christian mystical tradition.
Luke
May 11, 2016 Luke rated it really liked it
Excellent work, necessary reading for anyone interested in church history, historical theology, or Late Antiquity. Excited to read the other three (four?) volumes.
John
Eva
Eva added it
Aug 24, 2016
Scott Kleinpeter
Scott Kleinpeter marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Sangkyu Lee
Sangkyu Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Matt Stemp
Matt Stemp rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Hey Now,
Hey Now, marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Mario
Mario marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Keunwoo Kwon
Keunwoo Kwon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jean-Marie Trinite
Jean-Marie Trinite rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Elpida Tempou
Elpida Tempou marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Vic Pergola
Vic Pergola rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Bibliowulf
Bibliowulf rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
May 18, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 01, 2016
Eric Ryniker
Eric Ryniker rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Lisa Hinkley
Lisa Hinkley marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Darryl Wooldridge, PhD
Darryl Wooldridge, PhD rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bernard McGinn, the Naomi Shenstone Donnelley Professor Emeritus at the University of Chicago Divinity School, is widely regarded as the preeminent scholar of mysticism in the Western Christian tradition. He has also written extensively on Jewish mysticism, the history of apocalyptic thought, and medieval Christianity. A cum laude graduate of St. Joseph's Seminary and College in Yonkers, NY, he ea ...more
More about Bernard McGinn...