Start by marking “Walt Whitman: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Walt Whitman: Selected Poems

Walt Whitman: Selected Poems

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,633 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Harold Bloom, author of "The Western Canon" and one of the world's most renowned literary critics, surveys Walt Whitman's vast poetic work, from early notebook fragments of "Song of Myself" to the late poems of "Good-bye My Fancy."
Published January 27th 2003 by Library of America (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Walt Whitman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walt Whitman

Justin Jaeger
May 24, 2010 Justin Jaeger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry buffs who are looking for historical perspective
Recommended to Justin by: KaDo
Wow, what an undertaking this was. The thing that impresses me most about Whitman is that the boundaries that he so controversially broke through are now almost forgotten. He was as literally "ahead of his time" as one can be in the world of literature and I find it a beautiful thing that he knew it. It was difficult for me to really understand the profundity of much of his work because his style has permeated American poetry and literature. In my feel, his challenge to the rules and norms of ar ...more
Cathy
Apr 15, 2009 Cathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, usa, 2009-read
I have read as much I could!
I have read apostrophes - long, exhaustive lists of apostrophes!
I have felt for the common man
I have felt for the common woman
Yet I have found myself skimming, and rarely pausing.

O these poems are coherent and distinctive.
O they have their moments and doubtless somewhere amongst their long sentences and long stanzas there are jewels.
But I now think of Whitman's contemporaries : of Robert Browning with longing, of Arnold with respect, and allow that even Tennyson may
Jeff
Mar 10, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: whitman
For Harold Bloom, there are six major poems ("Song of Myself," "The Sleepers," "Elemental Drifts," "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry," the Keatsian ode, and the elegy for Lincoln), comprising 133 pp. of this 220 pp. Selected. Then, as is the habit of Whitman editors for generations, now, Bloom has the notion to put together an ur Leaves, one that begins -- as Whitman himself jettisoned the prose preface in 1860 and frontispieces a "Proto Leaf" -- with the draft-notes from a 1921 Doubleday edition Leaves ...more
Rachel Lohman
Dec 07, 2014 Rachel Lohman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walt Whitman’s purpose for writing these poems was to allow people to see how he felt about what was going on in his life at that time. In “I Sing the Body Electric,” it is very obvious to see that Whitman valued the individual as a whole throughout his life. He separates genders of male and female and then lists why each is valued. Through this, the reader can see that he is admiring the individualism of each person and the traits that they possess. Questions at the beginning of this poem ask, ...more
CX Dillhunt
Mar 26, 2009 CX Dillhunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
...the Whitman of choice if you only read one...takes you back to the original ecstasy with Whitman's quirkiness and love of language which he couldn't separate from his joie de vivre...magnificent presentation of the man who loved everyone & everything...as if he'd handed you the original manuscript and said, "Here, dear friend!"
Zari
Out of the rolling ocean the crowd came a drop gently to me,
Whispering, I love you, before long I die,
I have travell’d a long way merely to look on you to touch you,
For I could not die till I once look’d on you,
For I fear’d I might afterward lose you.

Now we have met, we have look’d, we are safe,
Return in peace to the ocean my love,
I too am part of that ocean, my love, we are not so much separated,
Behold the great rondure, the cohesion of all, how perfect!
But as for me, for you, the irresistible
Mackenzie Lawrence
I could not get enough of this captivating book filled with dozens of poems that blew my mins. Whitman uses such descriptive words and puts them in a way that feel as if you could be standing right next to him when he was writing it. Or even where he was when he felt or saw the things he did. Each line of each poem in the book you could picture what it is like, to some extent, of what what was happening and you could really sympathize with him when he felt happy or sad. I would recommend this bo ...more
Tiffiny Corbett
Feb 09, 2012 Tiffiny Corbett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not my thing
HM
Sep 24, 2012 HM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
والت ویتمن برای شعر آمریکا چیزی در حد نیما برای شعر فارسی است و همراه ادگار آلن پو از بانیان شعر نو و آزاد آمریکا هستند که شاعرانی مانند گینزبرگ و سن ژون پرس و بسیاری دیگر را تحت تاثیر قرار داده اند

جدای ماجراجویی ویتمن برای عبور از خط قرمزهای جامعه و فضای شعری بسته دوران خود نگاه انسانی او نیز بزرگ و ستایش برانگیز است وقتی می بینی سال ها قبل شاعری به نمایندگی از مردم آمریکا در شعرش به شهرها و کوه ها و دشت های جهان سفر می کند و زندگی و اقوام را می ستاید و وقتی در تهران مهمان ما می شود

سلام به دنیا
Lizzy
Apr 20, 2015 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much enjoyed getting to know Whitman. At times he was pretty verbose! Many of the poems I read out loud. They just sound better that way. There is such rhythm and lovely sounds of syllables singing.
The Lilac poem is very poignant. Dim lit churches, shuddering organs, tolling, tolling bells' perpetual clang...how vivid. I like how each section will use the same word to start each line. Also the repeat of certain words just emphasizes the mood.

He seemed to enjoy celebrating America and t
Kirstin Elaine Myers
My son Kane called me last night and asked if I would be his second pair of eyes for his papers he has to write this weekend. The first is one on Walt Whitman, whom my mother loves: From the time I was just a toddler, she was raving about him to me, reading bits of him, etc. Today she told me she has part of his poem about Animals on her wall. So I decided to take the two Walt Whitman books I have on my shelf and read them. I think I have only scanned them in the past as a kind of homage to my m ...more
Joshua Dykas
I really enjoyed reading "Song of Myself", which is why I picked up a Whitman collection in the first place. However, after reading a few poem selections I find him to be somewhat of a bore. This is not to say that I think any less of "Song of Myself", or that I would not try Whitman in the future; however, right now, I can't get through another one of these poems. I would write a longer review, but I only managed to read a few poems, and do not think I merit a longer review. Whitman is a great ...more
Ananta Pathak
Oct 10, 2014 Ananta Pathak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what more to say about the great Whitman. this collection has some of his best poems.
Kamela Souza
could not finish this. not my thing. definitely no longer ethically acceptable.
Cory
May 01, 2014 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short, poetry
Whitman is a poet who needs to be read slowly and deliberately, in a setting that allows for the reader to concentrate on the task at hand (take it from someone who read this on a city bus full of gossips). I should probably reread this in the future in order to understand this better, but for now, three stars.
Jim
May 06, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know how to describe Walt Whitman's writings. I personally love them, but then I love poetry and for those who don't it could be difficult or so reading. He wrote in free verse so there is little rhyming in his poetry, what I would call conversational writing. Again his first poem was published in 1855 and written in the cultural language of that time. If you read it slowly, immerse yourself in the meaning of the words, you will have a great experience.
Johanna Hammarström
powerful and beautiful
Janea
Sep 23, 2014 Janea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."
David
Sep 02, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extensive collection of Whitman's work. Shows his evolution as a poet and his drive to self-edit and, later in life, self-censor. Exuberant free verse full of love of self and country, and love of love itself. His early work shows a man with no guilt or shame, pleased to be who he is.
Ed D'Arcy Hatton
Dover publications offer an amzing selection. How they ever manage to do it I will never know, but they do, and the quality is really goof. I am not saying the paper it is printed on will last, but it's a batgain non the less!! Buy cheaply from Dover. Highly recommended.
Megan Gery
If it took me a long time to get through this anthology, it's because Whitman is so hit or miss for me. When I feel it, I'm in love. The rest of the time, he makes me a little bit uncomfortable. His elegies are breathtaking, and "The Sleepers" is mesmerizing.
Parker
Jun 05, 2011 Parker rated it really liked it
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Bloom masterfully strings poems by this prolific American poet together that give not only an historical perspective, but also a sense of artistry within the book itself. Beautiful.
Jenni
Jul 27, 2007 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poets
Lots of versions of Whitman (he revised excessively) but this version, edited by Gary Schmidgall, is closet to the original poems and there's also some of his essays and poetics. I love this edition.
Suketus
Jan 14, 2012 Suketus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, classics
Kiehtovia kuvia niin yksilön suhteesta maailmaan kuin yhteiskunnasta laajemminkin. Paikoin jopa päällekäyvää seksuaalisuutta, mutta ei silti häiritsevissä määrin. Intiimiä, rujoa ja suorapuheista.
Jacqueline Mott
Nov 04, 2015 Jacqueline Mott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just cleaned out my books. Hundreds of them have been donated. Of the handful of books I kept, this is one of them. It is a book that I can open to any page and read. It's a classic.
Roxie
Apr 25, 2012 Roxie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Not much to say about this excellent work…was the inspiration for my first poem and countless others. My personal fav: I AM HE THAT ACHES WITH LOVE, I know, but hey, it’s poetry!
Robert Davis
While an excellent poet, his poems ended up blurring together as their similar themes and often meandering purpose disabled the lines of distinction.
Michael
Apr 19, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Had to read his poem on the annivesary of Abe Lincolns death and the poem on liliacs since they are in bloom! Bought this one for my collection~
Jeremy
Aug 07, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most
Shelves: poetry
I found this in my garage while having a smoke recently, and was surprised to find out some of his poems are really good.
Oct 15, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This isn't the edition I own or have read, but I have read Song of Myself. The copy I have was a gift from Eirene.
Finally taking these books off the shelf to read 1 4 Jan 31, 2009 07:59AM
  • Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure
  • Selected Poetry
  • Lyric Poems
  • Blood and Belonging: Journeys into the New Nationalism
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Great Sonnets
  • Speeches and Writings, 1859-1865
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • 95 Poems
  • James Madison: Writings
  • Favorite Poems
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

“I will be your poet, I will be more to you than to any of the rest.” 8 likes