Start by marking “Shadows over Lyra (Lyra, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Shadows over Lyra (Lyra, #1-3)

Shadows over Lyra (Lyra #1-3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Peopled by humans, Shee, forest-dwelling, Wyrdsd, and watery Neira, Lyra is a place of beauty and peace--or would be, if it were not for the immensely powerful and evil Shadow-born, straining against the bonds that have held them for millenia.
Published November 15th 1997 by Tom Doherty Assoc Llc

To ask other readers questions about Shadows over Lyra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows over Lyra

Sbuchler
Genre: Fantasy

This is an omnibus of three novels: Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, and the Harp of Imach Thyssel. I only finished the first two… it just wasn’t fun enough to justify the time to read the third one.

Shadow Magic: (two stars) This was quick to read, but it felt like the book jumped from the introduction to the conclusion without the intervening work by the characters to get to their happy endings. Possibly it’s because the book was so short, but I felt the critical event (findin
Julie
This is actually 3 books in one, and I'm not quite sure why they put them together (other than they're all rather short and set in the same world). Her 5 books set in the "Lyra" world are all fairly independent, I'm not sure I'd really classify them as a series since you could read them in any order and don't have characters in common, but it does keep them separate from her other work which is quite different in style and tone.

These three novels are fairly stereotypical fantasy, Shadow Magic b
Miss Clark
Contains: Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, and The Harp of Imach Thyssel. Each story is self-contained and only relates to the others in so much as each takes place in Lyra and involves magic.

My least favorite of the batch is Daughter of Witches and I liked The Harp of Imach Thyssel best.
Lydia
This book actually contains three books complied into this one volume. My husband read these books when he was younger and recently decided to reread them and see if he still enjoyed them, and afterwards told me I should give them a try. The three books are set in the same world but are about different people in different parts of the world, the one similarity being the "bad-guy" or more specifically, the Shadow-born, basically evil sorcerers who have no bodily form. They were once all bound, bu ...more
Elizabeth S
Well, I liked it. What a rich world. As a reminder, this book is actually an omnibus containing Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, and The Harp of Imach Thyssel. Each of these three books stands entirely on its own. The second and third only briefly refer to events in the first. None of the characters are the same.

I very much enjoyed the brief "history" of Lyra that is included in this Omnibus. Even if you read the three books separately, it is well worth getting the omnibus to read the "history
Kim
I'm not really sure what age these books are best for. On some level, a 12 yr old might enjoy them, but then there are other aspects that I think perhaps a bit older would be best. I read them in order of publication, but I think chronology would be better. The other nice thing about this series is that the books are self-contained. You do not have to read all of the books. You can pick and choose. None of the stories rely on the others. The connection is the world of Lyra and battling darkness. ...more
Christina
Clearly early efforts, but still enjoyable.
Tara
I'd give the first story 4 stars - it was a lot of fun and well written. The second two are 3 stars. They are also well written and enjoyable, but I found myself liking the first the best and wishing the second two were sequels, instead of set in the same world but in different countries with unrelated plots and peoples. Still good reads, though - I enjoy Wrede's works.
Martha
This version has three books (Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, & The Harp of Imach Thyssel) plus a bonus "history overview," all set within a few years of each other but a very long time after The Raven Ring and even farther after Caught in Crystal. I think Raven is still my favorite, but these were very good.
Julie
This was three books in one. I have read this author before and enjoyed her books, but these didn't even feel like the same author at all. The writing style was so different! They were action packed and interesting. I will probably go looking for the books that came before these. T
Izzy
Although Wrede's writing is decidedly rough in these books, especially the first, I love her characters and enjoyed the Lyran adventures. Wrede is my *favorite* author, however, so I may be biased. ;)
I loved Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, so I was looking forward to this trilogy... even without knowing anything about Lyra, the books were fun fantasy and I'll definitely seek out more.
Tiffany
I thought these stories weren't as good as others by this author. There was a lot of talk of war, dark magic, human sacrifice etc.
Melissa
Definitely a "young adult" book as the heroines are young women and the stories are a bit simplistic for my taste.
Erin
Contains: Shadow Magic, Daughter of Witches, and The Harp of Imach Thyssel. Each story stands alone. These are ok.
Lindsey
Dec 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adults who like fantasy
Fun fantasy stories for young adults.

They're imaginative and compelling. I wish there were more.
Willow
A good traditional fantasy young adult book. The writing was strong and I liked the characters.
Sara
I loved the first story in this book. Props to any book with a female heroine.
Perri McGowan
Perri McGowan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Amy Hunter
Amy Hunter marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Lyndakf
Lyndakf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet Duology, #2)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)
  • Prison of Souls (Bard's Tale, #3)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection
  • The Hidden Masters of Marandur
  • Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3
  • Senrid
  • Never After
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • Destiny's Star (Epic of Palins, #3)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Lyra (5 books)
  • Shadow Magic (Lyra, #1)
  • Daughter of Witches (Lyra, #2)
  • The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)
  • Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4) Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)