Start by marking “The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra, #3)

The Harp of Imach Thyssel (Lyra #3)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  756 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The harp had been lost for centuries until Emereck the minstrel stumbled across it in an abandoned castle. Emereck wished it had never been found at all - for all magic has its price. Nonetheless, it was one of the greatest treasures in the world of Lyra - for its music could make a dying man whole or a whole city die, according to the songs of old.
Published September 15th 1986 by Ace Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Harp of Imach Thyssel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harp of Imach Thyssel

The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score by Wolfgang Amadeus MozartThe Piano by Jane CampionThe Tin Drum by Günter GrassCaptain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresThe Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning
Musical Instruments
48th out of 127 books — 47 voters
The Grey King by Susan CooperThe Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd AlexanderDragonsinger by Anne McCaffreyThe Naming by Alison CroggonRiddle-Master by Patricia A. McKillip
Minstrels, Bards, Harpers
44th out of 50 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Extremely predictable. The Lyra books are the kind of books people who don't like fantasy pick on and make fun of. There are always elves, or elvish beings with otherworldly beauty and arrogance out the wing-wah. Then there are some kind of dwarfs, or similar small sturdy creatures. And in the middle of it are humans, who are either perfectly good or so evil they'd sell their grannies to the Anthracite mines for the price of a cup of fantasy coffee-equivalent.
Talented writing can get you over th
Nina Fonteneau-Fuentes
This is the third book in the Lyra Series and you can read each book separately so far no past characters have appeared.

I liked the book I love Cilhar characters and the introductions to an endangered dying race. You finally get more history on the Shadow Born and about the third moon being destroyed.

There was one major plot error but I can't explain it without spoilers.

there are deaths and one that should have been climatic was not. the most important one was well made. I like how this author
Aelvana
This is set in the same world as Shadow Magic, although that's not immediately obvious. Some of the same complaints I have about that one hold here, though she only reintroduces one of the three non-human races. The characters themselves were okay, but the world never felt like it had much depth, and that took away from the characters in the end. It also felt a bit too much like a trick ending---the Duke just happens to figure out how to control ancient magic on the spur of the moment when he's ...more
An Odd1
xxix pages of overwritten "Intro to Lyra series" is boring, repeated in all prequels. Minstrel Emereck wants to hand off a magic harp to his far-off Guild leaders. His friend, Prince Flindaran, has inherited the bloodline that attracts the sheltering Castle. An old ballad says the weapon melted the three home cities of invaders, including the wielder's visiting sister.

I'm not fond of Em, wishy washy way he repeatedly tries to evade responsibility, despite harp's power that heals his severe woun
Czol
Ugh. I really tried to get through this. The first book in the Lyra series is one of my favourites, & I was hoping this would improve. Made it up to a third of the way through, but couldn't take any more & gave up.

We keep being flung between various different characters, with no real idea of who they are or what any of them want or why. Which, yeah, great for mystery, but really really hard to care about any characters at all. Even the two main characters are 2 dimensional. One is super
Mailee Pyper
This book was better than the previous two. I still feel as though the way she is writing for this series kind of detaches the reader from the story and the characters aren't as well rounded as in some of her other books, but it was fun and interesting. I found it hard to believe that everyone knew about this age old artifact that hadn't been seen for thousands of years...must be the skeptic in me.
Fate's Lady
This was my second favorite of the Lyra books. I liked how the characters' interactions with the harp seemed to shape and change them, and what they found out about that at the end. I also really liked some of the descriptions, and while I really liked the sister who tagged along at the end, I felt like she needed a bit more fleshing out as a character. Overall this was a fun fantasy adventure with a bit of an illustration about power corrupting.
Lady
I like that the stories of Lyra are building on each other so that the world grows more dimensional with each one. like the others this one is well paced with lots of action and interesting enough characters. Except for Tarelith. The character I despise most in stories is the one who is both arrogant and ignorant. They run around the story making really bad decisions, yelling at everyone that they're right and blaming people for making good decisions or for having to do something in reaction to ...more
Jonathan
I think that this is my second favorite book by Wrede, after The Seven Towers. There is sufficient character development to be engaging, a small bit of humor, a good bit of intrigue, and a decent happy-ish ending.
Kate E
I liked the male point of view in this one, and also Liana's character was a pleasant surprise. Some of the twists and turns in the plotline I was unprepared for, but they worked.
Jill
I do not often give a book written by a living author only one star, because usually there is at least SOMETHING nice I can say about it, and I know how painful it is to have one's "baby" shredded on a world-wide scale.But this author is not on Goodreads, so I will be totally honest.
To be fair, this was written early in the author's career, and she has become hugely popular since then. But not this book. Now I know why.
Flat characters; predictable, canned fantasy plot; dull, plodding narrative,
Maria
Emereck is a minstrel and his friend Flindaran is a son of a duke. Together they stumble upon an enchanted castle with a power magical object, the Harp of Imach Thyssel. The Harp has the power to destroy cities and shape the world, and the consequences for the person who plays it is vast. Can their friendship survive?

Why I started it: I'm working my way thru this series... along with the other 500 series that I'm reading.

Why I finished it: I liked that Emereck was so cautious. I know that I woul
Tabi Wares
Characters: great, storyline: awesome,.....ending? Rushed. The story was great, if a little slow paced up until the last few chapters when the ending was resolved almost immediately. It was just a bit awkward.

Also, apparently, all of Lyra's main characters have the same exact conflict and mental processes: "magic/past??? I want nothing to do with it!!! No no no!!!!" For the ladies and "Woe is me, I aim above my station, but I shall protect her with my life if possible!!" For the gentlemen.
Kate
By no means was this her best book, or even the best in the Lyra series. There were parts that felt really clumsy, which is something I've only felt in Wrede's work during this book and Caught in Crystal. Still, it was quite enjoyable, and I really liked the excerpt from the "history book" at the end, which was quite interesting and helped to explain a lot of things.
Colleen
I love Wrede's Dealing with Dragons series, so I don't understand how the Lyra novels can be just so bad. I just cannot connect to the characters at all, and the plots are boring, for lack of a better word. I bought an omnibus edition of the whole series on my Kindle, so I'll probably keep reading them, but my motivation is waning with each one.
Jessica
Not a bad book, but I appreciate Wrede's later efforts more. I felt the pacing was slow, and there was lots of dialogue without expanding the characters. It was ok, and good for a quick weekend read, but I won't be revisiting it myself. Since all the books I've read by this author before were female main characters, I did like to see how she played a male hero. Not too much differently, actually.
Ryan
I don't know when Wrede's characters became fun - there are some glimpses of them in this story, but the hero is far too serious and stuffy. The plot would have moved along just fine even without deception so it was an unnecessary device. Still, the story adds to the land and magic of Lyra - a beautiful but damaged world - and was fairly enjoyable to read.
Alex Fayle
I never thought I'd not like a Wrede book, but hey, no one can be perfect... ;) I didn't actually get past chapter one. I didn't like the buddy-movie feel of the two characters. Since I own it, some day when I don't have anything to read and don't want to spend money on a new book, I might give it another go.
Kat
Apr 30, 2011 Kat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: epic
The characterization is a little sketchy, and some of the emotional reactions seem a little shallow, but the story is pretty good. I think the story is actually bigger than the constraints of early-80s short-n-sweet fantasy really allowed, and I kind of wish there were an expanded version.
Timothy
Reread again recently, from my bookshelf. And the book was so fragile with the cover coming off. But again, an oldie but goodie, with a good storyline that flows from other standalone books in the Lyra series.
Li
I liked this better than the first two Lyra books, but still on the fence. It helped that there was a bit more focus on a single character's POV, I think - made it easier to connect with the story.
♥Xeni♥
Once again, a predictable ending, but otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable YA book. I loved the music aspect most of all, although the plot-line continuance of Shadow-Born was also quite interesting.
Matthew
I enjoyed this further installment in the Lyra series a good deal, though the ending was quite sudden.
Tribefan
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to someday finding and reading the rest in the series!
Jayme
I liked it, good plot, likeable characters, and an unexpected ending. four stars.
whalesister
Love main characters who are bards, for some reason. Maybe it's because I write?
Aerin
Another book of Lyra, with a new preface about Wrede's editing process.
Becca
Fun once I got into it; actually rather good; wish it were longer!
Lark
Not her best work. Early. Still worth reading.
Carolyn
A good solid fantasy, appropriate for ages 9+.
  • The Christening Quest (Argonian #4)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • When The King Comes Home (A College of Magics)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Dalemark Quartet (The Dalemark Quartet, #1-4)
  • The Big Meow (Feline Wizards #3)
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • Shadowdance
  • Knave Of Dreams
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
  • Faragon Fairingay (Circle of Light, #2)
  • Gossamer Axe
  • A Tangled Web
  • The Harp of the Grey Rose
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2) Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4) Sorcery & Cecelia: or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (Cecelia and Kate, #1)