Start by marking “Echoes of Fury: The 1980 Eruption of Mount St. Helens and the Lives it Changed Forever” as Want to Read:

Finally comes the first complete account of the cataclysmic eruption of Mount St. Helens and its dramatic after-effects on the mountain and life around it for a quarter-century.

Frank Parchman tells an epic story of eight people whose lives careen into dramatic new directions and who ultimately become bonded to one another and to the mountain in the aftermath of the volcani
Published May 1st 2005 by Epicenter Press (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of Fury

Resalo
Jan 29, 2016 Resalo rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected amazing read this book was. I purchased this book in 2012 at one of the Mt St Helen's Observatories and it has sat on my shelf for 3+ years. It was only when I ran out of library books that I picked this up to read. This book is incredibly well researched and told in a way through the eyes of 8 Mt St Helen's survivors that it is hard to put the book down. Parchman recounts the riveting events surrounding the 1980 eruption through the narratives of the actual survivors, relativ ...more
Dee Bitner
Dec 01, 2015 Dee Bitner rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, disasters
I was so very sad as I read this book. Parchman has drawn together stories of survivors and victims of Loowit, also known as Mt. St. Helens. (Now that Denali has his name back, maybe Loowit can regain hers as well!) There were so many mistakes made, and this expands on some of the stories I first learned in Volcano Cowboys: The Rocky Evolution of a Dangerous ScienceVolcano Cowboys and adds new ones.

For starters, the book covers week-by-week, then month-by-month, then year-by-year of the events a
Lollie
Aug 30, 2011 Lollie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I bought this book when we went to Mount St Helens. I really enjoyed it! The part about the trial was a little slow and took me a few nights to get through, but the rest of the book was very enjoyable. It's very hard to imagine what these people went through on the day that Mount St Helens erupted with such fury.
Christine
Jul 14, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal book! If you love earth science and want to understand the 1980 eruption and volcano eruptions in general, this is your book. I highly recommend it! I had no idea the extent of the 1980 eruption until I read through this book.
Laurie
Sep 20, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
I didn't know most of this history. Facinating read.
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Debby Cash
Debby Cash marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
ShanLandis
ShanLandis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Breia Lee
Breia Lee rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Zenith
Zenith added it
Jun 01, 2015
Ellyn Honey
Ellyn Honey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Bev
Bev rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
Helen Biersack
Helen Biersack rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Greta
Greta rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Katharine K
Katharine K rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Kyle Boyat
Kyle Boyat rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Michael Fox
Michael Fox rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Martin Houser
Martin Houser marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brittany Kay
Brittany Kay rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016