Start by marking “The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)

The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In a city filled with wonders, one girl can do the most wonderful thing of all.

Georgie is special.

Not only is she the one person who can disappear at will, but since she found her parents, she's become The Richest Girl in the Universe. She may be special, but is she lucky? Her parents have forbidden her to vanish, her new school is full of snooty heiresses, she's had a gro
Published June 1st 2007 by Eos (first published March 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chaos King

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Pre Teen Female Fantasy Novels
148th out of 635 books — 995 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanAlanna by Tamora PierceGraceling by Kristin CashorePride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Feminist Young Adult Books
439th out of 1,074 books — 1,158 voters

More lists with this book...

Nic
Jan 11, 2010 Nic rated it liked it
There was definitely some good stuff here, but I liked The Wall and the Wing better.

The humor is fun, in an over-the-top way, and occasionally surprised me with a more subtle touch, like the brief mention of thousand-year-old Phinneas deciding to become a history teacher.

Mainly, I was glad that Georgie's lying to her parents was addressed, because it bothered me. When she lied about small, silly things, like whether she'd had a chaperon at Bug's apartment (um, you're only thirteen, and the two o
Ash
Dec 29, 2009 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start my review by saying how suprised I was with The Wall and the Wing - The Invisible Girl, the first book, I had not expected it to be half as good as I found it to be. Actually I read it on a dare, a guy in my class picking it randomly off the shelf and handing it to me telling me that it looked like a book I would enjoy. The truth was it was a book I did enjoy and the day the librarian handed me this book and told me it was the next book I was beyond happiness.

This book proved to be
LemontreeLime
I had never read this sequel to The Wall and the Wing, and recently found nice hardcover copies of both for my niece, as they were two of her favorite books from junior high days. This one is just as gonzo as the first, but makes sense in it's insanity. I sort of felt that the proto-super-villain Mr. Fuss was underused, perhaps there should have been a third novel to the set involving him?
Salsabrarian
Hmmmm. A chaotic story that put me in mind of the outrageousness of "Whales on Stilts" but not nearly as effective.
Jim
May 09, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-spillover
I enjoyed reading this. Will look at the rest of the series.
Jean
Mar 09, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Wall and The Wing, the first book in this series, so I was anxious to see if the sequel measured up. While it wasn't quite as good (we already know that Bug can fly and Georgie can disappear) it has enough suspense and original characters in it to keep it interesting. The author makes some great digs at society's obsession with fame and wealth as well as cleverly mocking today's naming cliches by having characters like Roma Radisson, Bethany Tiffany, and Sean Paul Todd (or i ...more
Alex
Feb 01, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Another fun kid-lit book with lots of strange nonsense plot threads that all weave together into something beautiful at the end.

I liked the first one (The Wall and the Wing) better-- it stood on its own as a fun story-- this one is more of the same characters, but what can you do?

I don't know what I can say about this book that would sound intelligent, but it's smart, funny, quick, and unexpected.

Read this book, read The Wall and the Wing, and read some stuff by Jon Berkeley.
LinBee
This wasn't as good as The Wall and the Wing, which was the first book. Though, I love Gurl a.k.a Georgie and Bug a.k.a Sylvestor, the 2 main characters. The dynamic between the duo is lacking in the beginning of the book, but at least it is wrapped up by the end. I also love Georgie's Polish cook, Agnes. She is so good at noticing what Georgie wants and when.
Honesty
Mar 18, 2016 Honesty rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A fitting match to the first book. I liked it a lot.
Annie
Mar 08, 2016 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, fantasy, young-adult
A very entertaining YA book. I liked the heroine. She is the Richest Girl in the Universe, but feels uncomfortable with her wealth and status. I liked a world where almost anyone can fly. I liked the twists in the fast-moving plot, more cute and exciting than clever. It did make me laugh out loud at points. I didn't realize this was a sequel until after I began reading, but I didn't need the back story to enjoy this book.
Paige Spindler-richardson
Oct 03, 2012 Paige Spindler-richardson rated it it was amazing
This was the first book to lead me to believe that finding a well-written and fun book to read doesn't require having you scour the library. I actually found The Chaos King (one of my favorite Fiction books) by randomly grabbing it off the shelf. The story is so weird and endearing that I can't help but go back to it again and again. Laura Ruby is a very creative author who knows how to write a clever novel!
Miriam
May 14, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
A fun light read about brave kids battling an odd conspiracy. It was a little confusing that the title and intro emphasized a chaos vs. order theme that wasn't reflected in the shifting factions (none of which seemed to be fighting for order) but the double-crossing was clever, and I didn't read the first book so maybe I missed something explicative.
Kaethe
This we also all loved. And today, long after we finished reading it, I understand why. Look at the reader icons here.

Clearly, on the internet, no one knows you're a computer-using cat. Except Laura Ruby, who shall be properly acknowledged as a goddess henceforth.

You'd think I was drinking, wouldn't you?
Maureen E
Oct 10, 2011 Maureen E rated it really liked it
I read The Wall and the Wing earlier this year and I was hoping this was a sequel. It was. Despite all appearances, Gurl and Bug’s troubles have not disappeared. What with the sudden loss of the Professor, snotty classmates, the trials of fame, and numerous misunderstandings, they have a lot to deal with. [Dec. 2009]
Chantal
Sweet story of Bug and Georgie, as they discover that there is a lot more in the world than most people realise, including animals that are no longer extinct, vampires, animals that can talk and books that can kill (and of course, the ability to fly and disappear).

Suited to ages 10+
Protagonists aged 13/14
Camille Stanford
Apr 23, 2015 Camille Stanford rated it liked it
This book was very interesting, though there were a couple times where the strangeness (people flying is a common occurence) kind of threw me off of the storyline. Not badly, just a little bit. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I liked some of the irony because of the characters.
Meme
Oct 25, 2008 Meme rated it really liked it
Hilarious fantasy-- it contained the same tone used in The Wall and the Wing. I loved both stories. You can still hear the faint resonances of the "If a tree falls to the ground, and no one is around, does it make a sound" quote from the first book.
Kori
Sep 27, 2009 Kori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-yound-adult
Listened to this on cd with the kids. We really enjoyed it - good sequel to the Wall and the Wing - I think both girls and boys would like it as well - Hughie liked the parts about the vampires - now he wants to be one for Halloween!
Kelley
Jul 24, 2011 Kelley rated it really liked it
This was an amazing book until the ending. The ending left more questions than it did answers, and the chapter after the last was seriously confusing. Other than that it was a wonderful read!
Sara
May 23, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed this book, cute and quirky excellent read for young fantasy lovers!
Sai
Apr 03, 2013 Sai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Light, funny, and entertaining. This is a happy book for the young and young-at-heart. Very pleased was I to find myself enjoying the humor and simple unsimplicity of "The Boy Who Could Fly."
Heather
Sep 15, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy, flying, books, vampires, invisability
This is the sequel to the incredible "The Wall and the Wing." I didn't love it quite as much as the first one, but I still think it's one of the most original fantasies out there for kids.
Jacqui
Sep 02, 2011 Jacqui rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book until the end. Was a bit ordinary ending so kinda ruined the rest just a little bit. Still satisfying but not amazing is all.
Michelle DeKorver
Jul 23, 2010 Michelle DeKorver rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
Fun read. Boys or girls would enjoy, but does have just a tiny touch of romance!
Nathaniel Wyckoff
Mar 02, 2011 Nathaniel Wyckoff rated it liked it
This book is another example of a sequel that just doesn't quite live up to the original.
Rebecca
Apr 14, 2009 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rebecca by: Susan
2nd in a series -- Susan recommends as an especially funny fantasy!
Allanna
Feb 20, 2008 Allanna rated it really liked it
Sequel to The Wall and the Wing ... which I now must read.
Violet
Oct 17, 2010 Violet added it
Awesome 2nd to the series hope's for more
Sierra
Aug 18, 2013 Sierra rated it liked it
It was good but i much prefer the first book.
Zilverña
Nov 03, 2012 Zilverña rated it really liked it
Well, it's clearly for Kids.:D
  • Anatopsis
  • Glint
  • The Lightning Key (The Wednesday Tales, #3)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Prophecy
  • Snivel: The Fifth Circle of Heck
  • Well Witched
  • Twelve Long Months
  • The Burning Shadow (Gods and Warriors, #2)
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Midnight Gate (Spellbinder #2)
  • Trashed
  • Someone Like Summer
  • Obsession: An Erotic Tale
  • Blue Remembered Heels (Sepatu Biru Kenangan)
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • Fringe Girl (Fringe Girl, #1)
Raised in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, Laura Ruby now lives in Chicago with her family. Her short fiction for adults has appeared in various literary magazines, including Other Voices, The Florida Review, Sycamore Review and Nimrod. A collection of these stories, I'M NOT JULIA ROBERTS, was published by Warner Books in January 2007. Called "hilarious and heart-wrenching" by People and "a knowi ...more
More about Laura Ruby...

Wall and the Wing (2 books)
  • The Wall and the Wing (Wall and the Wing, #1)

“You're a big help, Mr. I Read So Many Books.” 8 likes