Start by marking “Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)” as Want to Read:
Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)

Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)

Course Lecture Titles

Buddhism in Tibet
Buddhism in China
Buddhism in Japan
DVD-ROM
Published 2003 by The Teaching Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Great World Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great World Religions

Jon Stout
Mar 01, 2009 Jon Stout rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, religion
More lectures I listen to while I'm driving: This series was twenty-four lectures and very thorough and engaging, covering the spread of Buddhism from India into Tibet, China, Korea, Japan, southeast Asia and Sri Lanka. I was impressed by the influence of Buddhism, growing out of Hinduism and interacting with Confucianism, Taoism and Shintoism. No corner of Asia is untouched, unless it be some corner of Siberia.

In the detailed descriptions of Buddhist schools, I was interested to note a dozen or
Gary
Nov 25, 2016 Gary rated it liked it
This Great Course Lecture series covers the religion by considering the historical context of the faith. (I'm not even sure if "faith" is the correct word to use in this context since as a whole Buddhist don't seem to believe in pretending to know things they don't know). I'm not sure if there is a source for what I want regarding learning about the tenets of Buddhism. As the lecturer said one of the early beliefs for Buddhism is all things are impermanent and that includes Buddhism itself. ...more
Susan
Jun 08, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
There are twelve lectures in this audiobook, and it is part of a larger set of the five great world religions. I find listening to small doses while driving in the car is a palatable way to learn something new. It covers the main tenets of living a serene life and dealing with suffering, and a lot of the history of Buddhism. I was surprised to learn that originally they did not believe in a God. Like Christianity, it has also splintered, adapted and evolved into several branches, influenced by ...more
Seth Holler
Several of my Nepalese students were raised Buddhist. I'm glad to learn about that Christianity and Buddhism share a few fundamental moral imperatives. The ideas are frustratingly vague. "Sound of one hand clapping" indeed. Impressive nihilism or vacuous contradiction? In either case I'll stick with Aristotelianism.

The lectures are clear and simple, only occasionally flippant. The lecturer is pleasant.
Summer
Oct 16, 2015 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was nice to listen to. It helped me keep an even keel at work.

Learning about the history of Buddhism was interesting. It's so weird how old the world is. It's so weird that religion and government have been so intertwined in other places.

Also, Buddhist sectarian violence?? What???

Now I kind of want to got to Thailand.
Abdulaziz Fagih
Nov 27, 2010 Abdulaziz Fagih rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The lecturer talk alot about things that fascinate him and why you should admire the Buddhism instead of giving actual information about the religion and frankly he spend a long time taking about the same things instead of explaining the new concept he introduce this series is barely worth the 2 star I gave to it may be even less
Bob
Jul 31, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it
Picked up this book to learn about Buddhism, but didn't realize this was more of an education in the history and development of Buddhism through the centuries in Asia.
The history lesson was thorough and most likely pretty necessary to a real understanding of Buddhism, but I need to read more to get what I was after...a practical understanding of modern Buddhism.
Jillian
Aug 20, 2014 Jillian rated it it was ok
A lot of info. taught by a very likable narrator but it was pretty dry stuff overall. A lot of facts but not terribly inspiring. If you're merely looking for the history of Buddhism, this may be for you.
Chad Kohalyk
This was actually a pretty enlightening course. I find 30,000 foot overviews like this really useful as I sometimes have trouble putting specific events into the general context. The technique of examining how Buddhism changed as it spread across the world was really useful.
Lauren
Apr 04, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nf
I enjoy learning this way. I walk and learn. The problem with this particular lecture series is that is was too short. It had some basic history, but not all. It has some concepts, but not all. It really did not address Buddhism in today's world. I wanted more.
Kelly
Jul 24, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Excellent info on Buddhism, it's historical context, tenets, and major variations. Professor who presented it is knowledgeable, funny, and well-spoken.
Brian
Sep 01, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Pretty good academic introduction the beliefs, practices, history, art and cultural adaptations of Buddhism.
Sally
Aug 14, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was well satisfied with this course; you can't cover everything, but an interesting take on the subject.
Lafe
Aug 24, 2016 Lafe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, adult
Absolutely fantastic review of Buddhism. Vera interesting coming from a western background to learn so much about eastern thought
Jesús Dávila
Apr 07, 2011 Jesús Dávila rated it really liked it
I agree with a previous comment that the lecturer talks a lot about things that fascinate him. However, if you already know a bit about Buddhism the lectures can be interesting.
Heather
Apr 10, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Dad
Wow! I never realized how complex the history of Buddhism is! This was also a great starter for listening in the car -- my next set is 3x as long and about classical music.
Dina
Sep 25, 2012 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introductory course to Buddhism. The concepts were at times more difficult to understand and I plan to listen to other courses. I highly recommend if interested in the topic.
Yoeri
Yoeri rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Daniel Weese
Daniel Weese rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
John Wright
John Wright rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Laelia
Laelia rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Jurryx
Jurryx rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2010
Giorgi Dundua
Giorgi Dundua rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Sandra Causey
Sandra Causey rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Matt Speering
Matt Speering rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • Classical Mythology
  • A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Great Courses, #8470)
  • No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life (Great Courses, #437)
  • The Historical Jesus (Great Courses, #643)
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
  • Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: modern physics for non-scientists
  • The Great Ideas of Philosophy (Great Courses, #4200)
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)
  • The History of the United States (Great Courses, #8500)
  • The High Middle Ages
  • History of the English Language
  • The Foundations of Western Civilization (Great Courses, #370)
  • The Story of Human Language
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • The History Of World Literature (Great Courses, #2300)
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life