Start by marking “Poems Of William Blake” as Want to Read:
Poems Of William Blake

William Blake

Poems Of William Blake

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  843 ratings  ·  41 reviews
According to Wikipedia: "William Blake (28 November 1757-12 August 1827) was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, Blake is now considered a seminal figure in the history of both the poetry and visual arts of the Romantic Age. His prophetic poetry has been said to form "what is in proportion to its merits the least read body of ...more
Paperback
Published April 28th 1995 by Senate (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Poems Of William Blake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems Of William Blake

Lotz
The Angel that presided o’er my birth
Said, ‘Little creature, form’d of Joy & Mirth,
Go love, without the help of any Thing on Earth.’

As I’ve said before, I feel a bit uncomfortable reviewing poetry. I don’t have the proper tools; I lack the vocabulary. Critiquing poetry, to me, is like critiquing a human body. I don’t know why one face pleases me, and another pleases me not; I simply couldn’t say why I find one shape shapely, and another shape misshapen. When I see a pleasing face or an att
Elspeth
Blake focuses on religion a bit to much for my taste. I do like The Tyger, but that might be from reciting it in grade school, and it being the only poem that was familiar.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This was my first time reading poems by William Blake and I can’t say I was terribly impressed. Admittedly, I don’t read much poetry but I do enjoy it once in a while.

The main problem I had with these poems is that they made me feel like I was a 10-year-old schoolgirl again. They were simplistic, dreadfully unoriginal and quite boring. To me Blake’s poetry lacks rhythm and his verses lack fluidity. Definitely not the kind of poetry I enjoy reading.
Logan Dalton
William Blake was a mystic poet who was not afraid to challenge the religious and political views of his day. Like the other Romantic poets, he creates beautiful images of nature especially in "Songs of Innocence); but he is not naive and understands the natural and moral evil that haunts the universe and provides haunting imagery of evil and demonic power. Blake also brings up some interesting philosophical questions in his longer poems The Everlasting Gospel and Marriage of Heaven and Hell whe ...more
E.G. Jönsson
I actually listened to the edition from Svenska Ljud Classica, read by Sam Stinson. Unfortunately, the reading was a little too much like a "school piece" for me, read without any real connection with the material, just hammering out the syllables. Granted, I don't like overly emotional readings either, so I'm hard to please here. It was still delightful to re-experience The Songs of Innocence & Experience, as well as The Book of Thel. Blake, the hippie, Blake, the Goth, Blake, the coiner of ...more
Cherise
I can't say that I liked the majority of Blake's poems , I found them repetitive and . . . out of touch with the ordinary person's perceptions of life perhaps ? I did enjoy the cheeriness for a change , child like and innocent . But the few poems that I really treasured from this work , I was deeply moved by them . And as others have commented , I see why he was controversial , those were the poems I was expecting and got the most out of .

Here was my favorite of William Blake's by far : A Poiso
angel  castillo
To See a World in a Grain of Sand, by William Blake.

***Spoiler Alert*** While people wonder, and ask questions to find some meaning to what faith or religion in general is... We forget the simple things in life that prove where actual answers can be found. Those things are not hard to find, neither have they had some actual value to get. They don't even symbolize some meaning that they may be supposed to have. Yet, why do these things exist? Water, sand, soil, plants, air, life. The fact that na
sabisteb
William Blake war eigentlich von seiner Ausbildung her Kupferstecher. Er arbeitete zum Broterwerb auch als Illustrator für andere Autoren.
Seine eigentliche Passion scheint aber eine Art verschrobener Naturmystizismus gewesen zu sein, denn in seiner Freizeit dichtete er und entwarf eine ziemlich bizarre, christlich inspirierte Mythologie, die sich mir vollkommen entzieht, weil sie mir einfach zu verschwurbelt ist.
Diese Gedichte druckte er als ganze Seiten, Text und Illustrationen jeweils auf eine
Senaida Nunez
Erik Moore
This set of poems of William Blake includes Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience, and The Book of Thel. While I enjoyed the direct English poetic style, Blake's content is a school-book like simplicity while reaching into the myths of his era as he strove for depth. His transformation from the Songs of Innocence to the Songs of Experience provides a sense of life's disillusionment, but I am left hoping for more beyond this where he can cast in verse the subtleties even deeper in observations ...more
Cameron
I was surprised by how often I was moved by the poetry in this modest collection. I haven't read Blake since my teenage years and I remember back then being less impressed with his style. And truthfully, I glazed through some of these poems but there's a reason why Blake is still regarded as a seminal, groundbreaking poet.
Gabriel Iqbal
“As a person is, so they see. As the eye is formed, such are its powers.” - William Blake... What more do you want to know...
James
William Blake was and is a prophet. We can all still learn from his wonderfully strange works.
Loretta
Sinceramente, di solito, faccio un po' fatica a leggere libri di poesie.
Questa volta devo dire che è stato tutto diverso, perché questo libro mi è stato consigliato da una donna con la quale, anche se ci conosciamo da poco tempo, è nata sin da subito una profonda sintonia.
Quindi, il fatto che mi abbia consigliato questo libro dicendomi che ci avrei trovato dentro un po' di me, ha acceso sin da subito la mia curiosità.
In effetti, aveva proprio ragione. Alcune poesie hanno parlato alla mia vita.
Bethany
Some gorgeous, some baffling, some...strange. Others overly simplistic. I loved the inclusion of the letters; a completely different view into how extreme Blake was, to put it nicely.

"I thought Love liv'd in the hot sun shine,
But O he lives in the Moony light!
I thought to find Love in the heat of day,
But sweet Love is the Comforter of Night.

Seek Love in the Pity of others' Woe,
In the gentle relief of another's care,
In the darkness of night & the winter's snow,
In the naked & outcast, Seek
Galicius
I was introduced to William Blake only with “London” and “The Tyger” long ago and was also shown (with due respect) amazing prints and drawings at the Tate Gallery in London. These “simple” poems confirm immediately his great flights of spirit and imagination.

“The Chimney-Sweeper” is a reminder of the horrid practices through 1875 of sending children as young as four down chimney with a brush to sweep the soot (owing to their small size). They were sold as virtual slaves by their parents or tak
Victoria Caudle
I really did not enjoy this book of poetry at all. I read it for the sole purpose of comparing it with the Korean translation in part of something I was reading for class, but it was such an annoying read. Everything felt so childish and there was far too much 'praising god' for my taste.

I felt the metaphors were unoriginal and the content was hardly moving at all. Basically, I am not a Blake fan in the slightest.
Nickolas
I’ve heard so much about William Blake over the years so I was looking forward to reading this to see what all the fuss was about. England is very proud of him and to be honest I was pretty disappointed until I got about half way through this book. The majority of his poems in this collection were about lambs and children both with heavy religious overtones. Not that I have anything against lamb, children, or Jesus, I just wasn’t expecting it. Blake was a pretty outspoken and controversial figur ...more
Michael
An interesting thing happened during this reading. Once, a long time ago, a younger Fogus read this book and loved the "Songs of..." collections. However, an older and wiser(?) Fogus was a bit bored by the same works. However, the older and crustier Fogus liked the lesser known Blake works included in this compilation; namely:

"The Book of Thel"
"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
"The First Book of Urizen"
"The Song of Los"
"The Book of Los"
"The Book of Ahania"

These "prophetical" works seem to me to h
Seemita
I usually love poetic expression, the kind that sometimes remains largely elusive in descriptive writing. The lyrical blanket around words excites me no bounds.

Poems, the first I have ever read of Blake, did shine through some pages. That uncanny ability of all revered poets, to highlight the crux of an event in the most simple, yet lovely jugglery of words, is seen in Blake's penning too. However, those moments did not appear as frequently as I would have liked to. The subjects, Summer, Spring,
Niva Couto
"a criança dormia
e nos meus braços sorria
e o campo verde
e à lua uma menção
só por precaução"

poema perdido de william blake
Suncan Stone
Took me a while to get back into olde English (no, I am not that old, just haven't read anything similar in a while). Absolutely love the poems where he does not attempt to create something great (like a historic epic) or where he does not fall into his worship; his every day theme poems are truly beautiful, ones like How sweet I roam'd from field to field, The smile, The mental traveller, The ecchoing green, The little boy lost, etc...
I also like his engraving entitled I want, which seems to ex
Lafemmefatale
I am not really into religious poetry.
Intriguing and insightful. Beautiful.
nicki
Similar style to Tennyson but while Tennyson focuses on the human experience Blake is more concerned with the soul. Still great!
Jessica Bernard
Beautiful book of poetry that Tom gave me. I have since given a copy to my nephew and my son Ezra.
Saskia
When I saw this neat little compilation of poems by William Blake (whom I much admire) was selected by poet and musician Patti Smith, I was immediately drawn in. This small volume did not disappoint. It's just as easy to get deeply lost in Blake's writing as it is to flip open a page for a quick fix. As an initial fan of Blake, I admit to being a tad biased, although I think this modest collection of Blake is worth a try for anyone.
Esmeralda
The simple poems about children and nature are lovely. One of my favorite is "The Ecchoing Green." The religious / industrial commentary embedded in sci fi poetic images can be hard to follow. It is fun even wihtout a professor to point out the hidden connections. He was a radical into equality and anti religious doctrine. The demon imagery is striking.
Katherine Simmons
The wild winds weep,
And the night is a-cold;
Come hither, Sleep

A good solid collection of Blake's work put together by Patti Smith, I agree in part his work can be repetitive and highly religious but it is not unusual in his time. His poetry regarding the seasons has beautiful imagery as does his works about the young.
Alicia
I expected a little more out of the poems, but just being bounced around in my purse as leisurely reading is different than gorging on it while lazing around at home. Still I didn't find anything overly contemplative or terrific in ones I was just discovering, yet was excited to read the classic Blake I had read before.
  • Keats: poems published in 1820
  • Tennyson: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Frost: Poems
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • Beat Poets
  • Whitman: Poems (Pocket Poets)
  • Poe: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Wild Swans at Coole
  • Shelley: Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Love Poems
  • Baudelaire: Poems
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • John Halifax, Gentleman
  • The Complete Poems and Plays
  • Seventh Heaven
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete
William Blake was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, Blake's work is today considered seminal and significant in the history of both poetry and the visual arts.

Blake's prophetic poetry has been said to form "what is in proportion to its merits the least read body of poetry in the language". His visual artistry has led one modern critic to proclaim h
More about William Blake...
Songs of Innocence and of Experience The Complete Poetry and Prose The Complete Poems The Marriage of Heaven and Hell The Complete Illuminated Books

“THE LAMB      Little Lamb, who made thee      Dost thou know who made thee,    Gave thee life, and bid thee feed    By the stream and o'er the mead;    Gave thee clothing of delight,    Softest clothing, woolly, bright;    Gave thee such a tender voice,    Making all the vales rejoice?      Little Lamb, who made thee?      Dost thou know who made thee?      Little Lamb, I'll tell thee;      Little Lamb, I'll tell thee:    He is called by thy name,    For He calls Himself a Lamb    He is meek, and He is mild,    He became a little child.    I a child, and thou a lamb,    We are called by His name.      Little Lamb, God bless thee!      Little Lamb, God bless thee!” 1 likes
“   Rising from unrest,    The trembling woman pressed    With feet of weary woe;    She could no further go.    In his arms he bore    Her, armed with sorrow sore;    Till before their way    A couching lion lay.    Turning back was vain:    Soon his heavy mane    Bore them to the ground,    Then he stalked around,    Smelling to his prey;    But their fears allay    When he licks their hands,    And silent by them stands.    They look upon his eyes,    Filled with deep surprise;    And wondering behold    A spirit armed in gold.    On his head a crown,    On his shoulders down    Flowed his golden hair.    Gone was all their care.” 1 likes