Atlas: Poems

Atlas: Poems

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Blank verse poems about history, culture, and language. Like a literal road atlas, the poems carry lines and themes from one to the next. Like Atlas holding up the world, they hold patterns of all kinds aloft with an attention that transforms. The poems also are an atlas of the known world, capturing the way events repeat across time and place, as in one poem that links th...more
Published September 30th 2004 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about Atlas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlas

George Robbins
This small book of poetry has been on my wish list for a while, and I always look for it when I’m in an independent book store. I finally caved and bought it on Amazon along with my pre-order of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars. I first heard of this book through John’s videos (youtube.com/vlogbrothers), and he has mentioned it several times. Although I really enjoy reading poetry, I tend to stick with the classics, so recently I've been trying to find some quality contemporary poetry. I figu...more
Sara
Jun 08, 2011 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
The most visceral, affecting part of this collection was the title of a short poem:
FINDING A BOOK I FORGOT HE OWNED AT THE USED BOOKSTORE YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH

I also lingered on the book's closing poem, becoming nostalgic for someone else's past:

RECORD

Late night July, Minnesota,
John asleep on the glassed-in porch,
Bob Dylan quiet on a cassette

you made from an album
I got rid of soon after
you died. Years later,

I regret giving up
your two boxes of vinyl,
which I loved. Surely

they were too awkward,
too...more
Christina (Reading Thru The Night)
It is no shocking news that I am not a big fan of poetry but this is my year where I am making an effort to step away from my inner child groans and take the plunge.

So, after much hype about Atlas, I picked it up months ago and have been reading it ever since. I'll take a bulleted format for this because my thoughts aren't quite coherent to put together a full-fledged review. Me thinks that reviewing poetry is quite different than reviewing the book!

It took me three months to read Atlas, which...more
Jenny
This is quite possibly the best collection of poems I've ever read. Compelling from start to finish, beautifully written.
Drac329
I've always had a hard time finding female poets I connect with. It's petty, I know, but women tend to gravitate towards poems about, well womanly things. Which is fine. But it's done to such a great degree that I find I'm reading an entire book about the tragedy of having breasts, or the oppression by men. Drives me nuts since I don't have an oppressive bone in my body and I feel like I'm being attacked for something I've never done. Katrina was very lyrical and concise. The downside, I found m...more
Jason
What I can gather from this book of poetry is that Katrina Vandenberg lost a lover when he was young, spent some time in Europe, enjoys tulips, and ultimately married a man named John. There are plenty of poems about these subjects.

I did enjoy some of these poems (Jack O'Lantern, Pesto in August), but this collection did not live up to my expectations.
Natalie
A lovely little book for some muses. There were poems I could and will read over and over again. It's like a spa day for your mind, read it when you want to give your head a break from life. They are weaved together in a seamless order, so once you've started its hard to stop.
Tess
Surprisingly, I really liked this "book" even though I do not like poetry as a rule, this book of poems was interesting and focused on all sorts of topics. The poems were mostly short and easy to read but tons of fun to pick apart and try to figure out. Great book!
Kasey Jueds
I loved the femaleness of this book, especially the first section with its poems about mothers, daughters, grandmothers. Deceptively plain-spoken but moving, thoughtful, full of depth.
Molly
Nov 13, 2012 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
There are some lovely poems of mourning here, of the body and illness, but I especially loved the cheeky poem about her husband's dessert being flirted with at a cafe.
Lisa
Some of these poems feel overwritten, but there's an attention to interesting, less sought after things that I like.
Libby
I don't think I have ever been so moved by a book of poems. Seriously.
Valerie
supa great and i read 50 books in 2010 hoorah!
Care
Dec 31, 2009 Care marked it as to-read
Chris Stuff as Dreams Are Made On
Amber
Just so beautiful
Natali
Natali marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Lauryn Crum
Lauryn Crum marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Kari Allgood
Kari Allgood marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jun 25, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014