Start by marking “Mama Loves” as Want to Read:
Mama Loves

Mama Loves

These are the things a mama loves:

Dancing in slippers.
Teapots of tea.
Reading the paper
and mornings with me!

Mama always finds ways to share life's moments big and small with all her little ones. Tenderly illustrated by award-winning artist Kathryn Brown, mama loves will strike a chord with every child who loves being loved by Mama.
Published March 16th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Loves

Teapots of tea.
Reading the paper
and mornings
with me.

Rebecca's tender verse begins on the very first page as a number of the Mother's piglets run off to school leaving one of the younger ones behind to share special time with "Mama."

With each page turn, a different child gets to talk about what Mama loves to do with them.

Rebecca Kai Dotlich's ability to capture the heart of a child is a special talent she demonstrates time and time again when invited to be a part of
Jennifer Wiesehan
Apr 29, 2009 Jennifer Wiesehan rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a good Mothers day book to use in my classroom. This book is so sweet and shows the many ways that mother love their children and do things with them. It also rhymes and there are many fun activities a teacher could do with that! There are probably new interesting vocabulary words in this book as well for the children to learn.
I would read this book the week of Mothers Day and have the students brainstorm things that their own mother enjoys doing with them and paint their own
Kathryn
May 20, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Okay, confession... I happen to find pigs adorable! Especially piglets! That probably contributed to my enjoyment of this little book. The sweet poetry shares the many things that "Mama Loves" such as walks in the park and gardening and many other pursuits--but the key ingredient, as evidenced in the charming illustrations, is that the child is with mama in every case and THAT is what she loves most ;-)
Rhaynes5
Jul 11, 2013 Rhaynes5 added it
Shelves: classic-reads
Mama Loves is such a sweet book. When I read this aloud to students I will be sure to use my softest, sweetest, most loving voice ever. I would use this book in the classroom to connect with the children's home lives. Asking them does their mama love some of the same things as in the book. After reading this book I would have students write a journal entry describing what their mom loves and why they love their mom's. This book is the perfect into to any mother's day lesson.
Alison
Aug 31, 2016 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, family
I read this book as part of our "All About Me" unit. The kids enjoyed the illustrations and learning about the many things Mama loves. Afterwards, we discussed what the kids love doing with their mama.
Adrienne
Mar 04, 2014 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet little book shows the love a mother has for her child and how she shares her hobbies with her child.
Jennessa
Mar 13, 2013 Jennessa rated it it was amazing
From a mother's point of view, this book was perfect. It shows no matter where you go or what you do, Mama will always love you.
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2008
Jamie
May 07, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A sweet, warm, feel-good book. Great pictures. Very comforting.
Kristy McRae
Kristy McRae rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
DLK
DLK rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Arianna
Arianna rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Michaela
Michaela rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2016
coy laine
coy laine rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Chrystal
Oct 29, 2010 Chrystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-children
Very sweet.
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Nikki Fox
Nikki Fox rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Saunders Awards
Saunders Awards rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Angela
Jul 03, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Very sweet.
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Parker Catlett-Miller
Parker Catlett-Miller rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Yuna K
Yuna K rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014

Rebecca is a poet and picture book author of such titles as What is Science? (a 2006 Subaru SB&F prize finalist), and Lemonade Sun (an American Booksellers "Pick of the Lists"). Her work is featured widely in poetry anthologies and textbooks. Rebecca promotes children's poetry, giving presentations and workshops to students, teachers, librarians and writers. She lives in Indiana.
More about Rebecca Kai Dotlich...