Start by marking “The Case of the Empty Tin” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Empty Tin

The Case of the Empty Tin (Perry Mason #19)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A spanking-new tin can, secretly placed among the rows of Mrs. Florence Gentrie's preserves, contains not a speck of food — but it does carry one very damning clue to a murder that took place right next door. Such an unsavory discovery in such an unlikely place can't help but pique the curiosity of a dedicated mystery hunter like Perry Mason.

But the real mystery about this

Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages
Published July 12th 1984 by Fawcett (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Empty Tin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Empty Tin

Ed
Aug 07, 2012 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: legal
#19 of the Perry Mason series. I found this 1941 novel more enjoyable when I started thinking of it as I would approach a wartime b&w film, such as the Charlie Chan episodes with Sidney Toler in the title role, as a period piece.

Perry Mason series - A new tin can, placed among of Mrs. Gentrie's preserves, contains no food -- but it does carry a clue to a murder that took place right next door. Such a discovery in such a place can't help but pique the curiosity of Perry Mason. But the real my...more
A Michael
Perry Mason shows an extraordinary disregard for ethics in this case. This is one where I saw the pieces falling into place early. Typical for the early Perry Mason books, the racist and sexist dialogue is prevalent. And the publisher of the e-book is grossly negligent in proofreading the text.
DavidO
Perry Mason breaks the law a lot in this one. The mystery itself is pretty average for Perry Mason, requiring pages and pages of explanation (as a huge info dump) at the end to tie it all together.
Rob Smith
Perry Mason at his best! Lots of curves and turns. The mystery starts as one thing and turns into something all together different. Mason's efforts to solve the puzzle are a bit over the top. It's all a little too incredible as he masquerades as something that would put anyone else in reality in jail. But it is fiction and maybe things were that different in the 1930s, when this was written.And the book is well written and good characters. Though a seemingly short book, best to read carefully as...more
Donna
Started out really slow; I almost dumped it. Perry breaks a lot of laws (or skirts pretty close to the edge). A number of clues are never fully explained. The key couple is never clued as having any relationship at all. But I totally missed the biggest clue at the end. And Della kisses Perry!

Not as bad as it started out, but you've got to be a total Perry fan to read this.
Rijo John
Good mystery though again the limits to which mason goes to is extreme and a bit over. But good read on the whole.
Cheryl
I haven't read this Perry Mason book before, and I found it to be my least favorite of the bunch.
Vincent Darlage
Another Perry Mason book I have read multiple times. I really like this one.
Aadya
Aadya added it
Oct 16, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Pallavi
Pallavi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rushit
Rushit marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Floyd Lightsey
Floyd Lightsey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

Innovative and restless in his nature, he was bored by the routine of legal practice, the only part of which he enjoyed was trial work and the development of trial strategy. I...more
More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)