Start by marking “The Case of the Drowning Duck” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Drowning Duck

The Case of the Drowning Duck (Perry Mason #20)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A dead man in the kitchen, gas fumes permeates the house, a duck seem to be drowning in the fishbowl, but it didn't die. Maybe that fact has something to do with murder?
Mass Market Paperback, 45 pages
Published December 4th 1993 by Fawcett (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Drowning Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Drowning Duck

Jim
I picked this up as a Kindle ebook and Amazon has a number of Erle Stanley Gardner books available. I loved the old TV series with Raymond Burr and the slightly newer ones featuring a much older Raymon Burr. I like that the ebook format is allowing us to revisit a lot of older authors. I am sometimes disappointed as I was with Leslie Charteris "Enter the Saint". Often these older novels just don't stand the test of time but that isn't the case here. Yes, the world has changed since the time this ...more
Eric_W
I picked up a bunch of old Perry Mason mysteries and thought I’d try one. I fondly remember reading several when I was a kid and they hold up well. There are the usual archaic references to contemporary technology, and one very jarring reference to a Red River Valley in California where there were large cotton farms. That was a bit ungeographical. Not to mention the constant cigarette smoking . It was just a given that everyone smoked. And women were to be good-looking and useful.

Nevertheless, i
Swathi
Absolutely brilliant! This is a perfect example of how unexpected twists and turns can happen! What caught my attention was the title of the book and how can it ever be related to a murder?! The first 100 pages wasnt that interesting and i took almost 3 days to finish it. The last 100 was completed in one go ! Trust me , it kept me glued. By the time i finished, i was like , what ??

The client, Mr. Witherspoon is a rich business man who considers Family as his priority. He has a daughter Lois, wh
Mark Stratton
Just another atypical typical Perry Mason story. Courtroom hysterics, more suspects than you can shake a duck at, and a duck that sinks.

It is interesting to read a book, set in the present at the time of its writing that is instructive of new developments that we take for granted today. Detergents were something relatively new at the time, and not referred to in the same fashion as we would consider them today.

And there was a drowning duck....sort of.
Steve
The Drowning Duck is my second Mason, although a much earlier story than my prior. My first foray was a latter Gardner from the sixties, while this was written in ’42. My one comment about Mason still stands from my last review…why are people so enamored with a Lawyer. Okay, different time and place. Newspapers were certainly more relevant for getting news as opposed to TV, hence you are likely to be more up on local versus national/world news. As such, local court cases would get more face time ...more
Dolly
Jun 18, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: 2011, mystery, other-usa
This was a quick and intriguing read. I've only read a few books in the Erle Stanley Gardner. It was an interesting story and although it was written almost 70 years ago, it seems almost timeless. I thought the description of "detergent" was very funny, however, considering the advances of technology in our cleaning materials. Overall it was a very entertaining story and was perfect for a long flight home.

interesting quote:
"Every man who has lived enough to be more than a stuffed shirt, has a c
Rebecca
Content - This is how a mystery should be - lots of twists and turns and complicated details muddying things up and a dizzying list of possible suspects.

Mechanics - The writing is not amazing but it passes very well.

Squeaky Clean? - Murders and affairs and such are only referred to not dwelt on or described. A few bad words.
Lois
Couldn't follow this one for some reason. Too much real life going on to focus, I think.
Rupesh Goenka
A Super Suspenseful Perry Mason mystery...
DavidO
Nothing outstanding here, but interesting enough.
Ed
Aug 07, 2012 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: legal
#20 in the Perry Mason series. This humerous entry has the distinction of being the only mystery I'm aware of to use a surfactant as a major plot element. Perry winds up juggling timetables and ducks.

Perry Mason series - Wealthy John L. Witherspoon hires Perry Mason to delve into a twenty-year-old murder case in order to prove that the young man Witherspoon's daughter intends to marry has homicidal impulses in his genes.
Juuli
Jessas, kui segane saab üks juhtum olla. Aga põnev ka. Osa asju suutsin ma välja nuputada, kuid osades asjades suutis autor mind ikka tõsiselt üllatada.
Leheküljel seitse oli ka üks vahva ütlus:
"Igal inimesel, kes on elanud küllalt kaua, et olla midagi rohkemat kui lihtsalt ülikonnatäide, on elus mõni suletud peatükk. Kui mitte, pole ta ka inimene."

Srivas
The first Perry Mason I didn't particularly enjoy. Part of the problem is that the whole case is about Mason investigating events that occurred twenty years earlier, so we lack the famous courtroom drama.
Stven
It's 1942, the United States is sending young men to war, and a "detergent" is a newfangled chemical handy for parlor tricks. Perry Mason even then was a headstrong man of action and justice was his quest.
Donna
Written during WW2. I saw the drowning duck experiment in a TV episode. Quite complicated mystery and lots of possible guilty parties. Was surprised to find out who killed the last victim.
Heather's Mum
A dead man in the kitchen, gas fumes permeate the house, a duck seem to be drowning in the fishbowl, but it didn't die. Maybe that fact has something to do with murder?
Shannon
I'm amazed at how Gardner continued to have fresh, complex plots for each Perry Mason book, even though he wrote 150 of them!
Vincent Darlage
I have read this one a couple of times and it always sticks with me - esp. the method for drowning the duck.
Cheryl
Another fun Perry Mason mystery.
Rijo John
Nice and the usual stuff we expect.
John
Disappointing.
Ashok Manyam
Ashok Manyam marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
C Melhuish
C Melhuish marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Vishnukantbansal
Vishnukantbansal marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jishnu Bhattacharya
Jishnu Bhattacharya marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe, #15)
  • There Was an Old Woman
  • Quarantine In The Grand Hotel
  • Miss Fortune (Allie Fortune Mystery #1)
  • Breaking News
  • The Pearl Harbor Murders (Disaster Series, #3)
  • To Catch A Thief
  • Line of Control: A Thriller on the Coming War in Asia
  • Phantom Lady
  • Mud, Muck and Dead Things (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #1)
  • House Dick (Hard Case Crime #54)
  • Tiger By The Tail
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • On the Lisbon Disaster
  • The Yellow Room

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series)