Start by marking “Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue (Poor Relation, #5)” as Want to Read:
Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue  (Poor Relation, #5)

Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue (Poor Relation #5)

Colonel Sandhurst 70s, an owner of popular Poor Relations Hotel, fears calling in debt owed by Sir Randolph Gray. Sandhurst offers Gray daughter, fetching Frederica 17, refuge from marriage with hefty Lord Bewley, who mistakes chambermaid Mary Jones for heiress. Sandhurst demands ransom from Randolph. Captain Peter Manners, engaged to Belinda, falls for Frederica.
Published May 1995 by St Martins Press (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue

Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghReforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla KellyThe Temporary Wife by Mary BaloghMrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla KellyThe Rake by Mary Jo Putney
Traditional Regency
178th out of 491 books — 232 voters
Cotillion by Georgette HeyerThe Grand Sophy by Georgette HeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenFrederica by Georgette HeyerThe Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer
Clean Humorous Historical Romances
70th out of 158 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele
May 22, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been thoroughly enjoying this series and this book #5 is no exception. The owners of the surprisingly successful hotel, The Poor Relation, are as delightful as ever. They originally banded together as, although gentry, they were poor and ignored/abandoned by their wealthy relatives. They had hoped their relatives would be so embarrassed by their entry into trade that they would buy them out. The relatives were duly embarrassed but did not buy them out. Instead, the owners made the hotel i ...more
QNPoohBear
Feb 07, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was amazing
Business is brisk at the Poor Relation Hotel, however, it is fashionable for members of the ton not to pay their bills on time... or at all, so Col. Sandhurst is chosen to bully the money out of Sir Randolph but is scared off by Sir Randolph's daughter who warns him about her father's dogs and her father's desire to sell her to the highest bidder. Frederica is running away from home and her arranged marriage and Col. Sandhurst takes the opportunity to bring Frederica back to the hotel and hold h ...more
Brigitte
Sep 21, 2013 Brigitte rated it it was amazing
As usual a great regency tale with humour,wit and adventures!
Kristen
I love this fun regency era series! This second-to-last book in the series was just as delightful and humourous as all the others have been.

The story once again follows the escapades of the members of the Poor Relations as they attempt to run the hotel that has allowed the group of misfits to thrive in spite of society's silly rules designed to punish those without money.

Another infusion of "new blood" at the hotel this time comes by way of a young lady running away from home to avoid a forced m
Damaskcat
Sep 28, 2013 Damaskcat rated it really liked it
Colonel Sandhurst – partner in the successful London Hotel, The Poor Relation – has drawn the short straw when it comes to debt collecting. He has gone into the country to try and collect an outstanding debt when he meets the debtor’s daughter, Frederica, running away from an arranged marriage.

He offers Frederica a home with him if she will work in the hotel. He also sees a rather unorthodox way of collecting the debt due form her father which leads to all sorts of problems for the owners of Th
Mo
Apr 11, 2013 Mo added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
An Odd1
Dec 24, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
Colonel Sandhurst 70s, an owner of popular Poor Relations Hotel, fears calling in debt owed by Sir Randolph Gray. Sandhurst offers Gray daughter, fetching Frederica 17, refuge from marriage with hefty Lord Bewley, who mistakes chambermaid Mary Jones for the heiress. Sandhurst proposes Poor Relations demand ransom from Randolph to cover debt and more. Captain Peter Manners, engaged to Belinda Devenham, falls for Frederica, and she for him. Peter's best friend Jack Warren defends Belinda. (view sp ...more
Connie
Jun 24, 2015 Connie rated it liked it
The penultimate book of the series and I am a little relieved it is coming to a close. The premise is cute, the characters are fun, but it is the same formulaic plot in each book. However, if you need a book that you can fit in between appointments or while sitting in a waiting room, this is the one to pack in your purse.
Tricia
Jun 13, 2015 Tricia rated it liked it
This was more enjoyable than #4, even if all the pairings were totally predictable and obvious a few chapters in. The last page or so - what a twist! What will become of Miss Tonks and Mr Davy if the foreshadowed event occurs??

(Oh wait, there's a book 6? And here I thought I was done...)
Helene Harrison
Review - A disappointing one from Beaton. The storyline was too similar to a previous one in the series, with a fiancée that the hero has to get rid of in order to marry the heroine. I think a different storyline would have been better and more gripping. I still love the Poor Relations (except Sir Philip). Jason Davy was a great addition to the story, and I think he could be very important in the last one. Lady Fortescue and Colonel Sandhurst just need to admit they want to get married and get o ...more
Pinky
Apr 12, 2014 Pinky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-14
The poor relations take in a young lady whose father is abusing her. Sir Philip plays some nasty tricks on the others to get revenge - not my favorite. Absolutely no humor on this one.
Kristal
Jan 18, 2016 Kristal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You just never know what this group will come up with. Such lovely shenanigans they find themselves in! I look forward to the last book. I have already started it.
_inbetween_
The romance here is even worse, much worse, than in Deirdre and Desire, it's nearly non-existent, a farce; in fact this is a very Beaton book, with all the malice and these ill-meaning people being meant to be likable characters for the most. I don't like the aged (and romancing) series protagonists either (cp. D*D aunt).

But despite all the usual M-horrors and series-weaknesses, the two hidden romances between the middle-aged people that happen in the background were a mollifying antacid, and I'
Heather
Apr 19, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A light and fluffy read - just what I was looking for. Not the best in the series, but amusing and fun.
AJ
Sep 28, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency-era fans
Recommended to AJ by: No one
ISBN: 0-312-10444-8 (hc) 1994
10 chapters/152pp

Review to come
Jody Hamilton
Always like to read about the antics of the owners of the Poor Relation hotel.
Becky
May 12, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Still great fun although quite predictable.
Marsha
Apr 29, 2009 Marsha rated it really liked it
Col. Sandhurst is another resident and employee of the Poor Relation Hotel. Yet again, operating funds are in short supply, and it is the Colonel's turn to replenish accounts by hook or crook. A young unmarried heiress and her loser father have lodged at the hotel, but the father has skipped out without paying their lodging bill -- while abandoning his daughter in London. Colonel Sandhurst appears to offer her shelter and understanding but actually intends to ransom her back to her father. Of co ...more
Angie
3.5... Enjoyable and funny, but formulaic
Jaimey
~Fifth installment in the Poor Relation series~ 3.4 stars

Colonel Sandhurst, the most dignified and proper elderly gentleman one can imagine, more or less kidnaps a young woman, intending to ransom her for what her father owes the owners of the Poor Relation hotel. The heroine is as sweet and innocent as they come, although we're supposed to believe she's been a tomboy up until right before the story started. I had trouble believing it. Still, the story is amusing, as usual.
Janis Hill
Sep 03, 2013 Janis Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Another good read in the Poor Relations series. It's always good to see a series that can go for so long and still have not only original plots but continuing plots in it. And a new maiden in distress and charming young suitor to save her. Thoroughly enjoyed it and slightly sad that there is just one more book in this series left to go.

The eBook formatting on this book far better than the last too. Hoping that was just a glitch.
Tasneem
Jul 14, 2015 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I just love Colonel Sandhurst and his journey to collect the unpaid hotel bills is so perfectly him. Instead of bringing back the money, he brings back Fredrica and then, the hoteliers proceed to ransom her. I love the way the relationships between the different couples proceed. The comic genius of Captain Peter Manners trying to make the perfect Belinda take a disgust of him is just delightful.
Lynne Tull
Apr 05, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Maren
Aug 22, 2013 Maren rated it liked it
This one was better than the previous book. It seemed particularly fun after reading "Death Comes to Pemberly" which was deathly dull. If your life is stressful and you just want some mindless entertainment, pick up one of these books. There's only one book left in this series. Please let Miss Tonks find love!
Karen Manning
Dec 31, 2014 Karen Manning rated it really liked it
An enjoyable quick read. I took a break from reading this series but now can't wait to get to the final book where all the poor relations are back on society. A shame to finish the series, but I've enjoyed them almost as much as the Agatha Raisin series, which I will be returning to in the new year!
Joanne
Apr 24, 2013 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Marion Chesney is actually M.C. Beaton writing under a different pen name. There are 6 books in this series and they are delightful, quick, easy reads. They are a bit of a mytery and a bit of romance novel but if you are looking for something to read on the beach or in the bath - these are perfect.
LeAnne
Sep 25, 2016 LeAnne rated it really liked it
Silly entertaining book.
Rachel
Jul 18, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Yet another excellent Regency romance featuring the entertaining Poor Relations. The story was very sweet with many moving parts and developing relationships. A great, quick read!
Jerelyn
Apr 19, 2013 Jerelyn rated it really liked it
I love this series, and I have to say this is my favorite of the series. The characters are so much fun the whole series is. Marion Chesney is a master story teller.
Carrieuoregon
Jun 17, 2014 Carrieuoregon rated it liked it
Not as satisfying as some, but a short gallop to the end.
  • Tilly (Regency Love, #9)
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • An Affair of Interest
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Unflappable Miss Fairchild (Rogues and Rakes, #1)
  • Lady Pamela
  • The Bar Sinister (Clanross,0.5)
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Poor Relation (6 books)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Miss Tonks Turns to Crime (Poor Relation, #2)
  • Mrs. Budley Falls from Grace (Poor Relation, #3)
  • Sir Philip's Folly  (Poor Relation, #4)
  • Back in Society (Poor Relation, #6)