Start by marking “Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue

Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue (Poor Relations #5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Colonel Sandhurst 70s, an owner of popular Poor Relations Hotel, fears calling in debt owed by Sir Randolph Gray. Sandhurst offers Gray daughter, fetching Frederica 17, refuge from marriage with hefty Lord Bewley, who mistakes chambermaid Mary Jones for heiress. Sandhurst demands ransom from Randolph. Captain Peter Manners, engaged to Belinda, falls for Frederica.
Published May 1995 by St Martins Press (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue

The Grand Sophy by Georgette HeyerFrederica by Georgette HeyerCotillion by Georgette HeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenDevil's Cub by Georgette Heyer
Clean Humorous Historical Romances
48th out of 135 books — 26 voters
Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghReforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla    KellyThe Temporary Wife by Mary BaloghMrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla    KellySummer Campaign by Carla    Kelly
Traditional Regency
264th out of 460 books — 186 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele
I have been thoroughly enjoying this series and this book #5 is no exception. The owners of the surprisingly successful hotel, The Poor Relation, are as delightful as ever. They originally banded together as, although gentry, they were poor and ignored/abandoned by their wealthy relatives. They had hoped their relatives would be so embarrassed by their entry into trade that they would buy them out. The relatives were duly embarrassed but did not buy them out. Instead, the owners made the hotel i ...more
Qnpoohbear
Business is brisk at the Poor Relation Hotel, however, it is fashionable for members of the ton not to pay their bills on time... or at all, so Col. Sandhurst is chosen to bully the money out of Sir Randolph but is scared off by Sir Randolph's daughter who warns him about her father's dogs and her father's desire to sell her to the highest bidder. Frederica is running away from home and her arranged marriage and Col. Sandhurst takes the opportunity to bring Frederica back to the hotel and hold h ...more
Damaskcat
Colonel Sandhurst – partner in the successful London Hotel, The Poor Relation – has drawn the short straw when it comes to debt collecting. He has gone into the country to try and collect an outstanding debt when he meets the debtor’s daughter, Frederica, running away from an arranged marriage.

He offers Frederica a home with him if she will work in the hotel. He also sees a rather unorthodox way of collecting the debt due form her father which leads to all sorts of problems for the owners of Th
Mo
Apr 11, 2013 Mo added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9781780333212

Genre? - Historical / Romance / Drama

Characters? - Jason Davy / Amelia Fortescue / Miss Letitia Tonks / Frederica Grey / Lord Bewley / Captain Peter Manners / Sir Philip Somerville / Colonel Sandhurst

Setting? - London (England)

Series? - Poor Relation #5

Title? - Colonel Sandhurst attempts to get the Poor Relations out of a sticky financial situation.

Character Analysis? - I still love the Poor Relations (except Sir Philip). Jason Davy was a great addition to the story, and I t
Pinky
The poor relations take in a young lady whose father is abusing her. Sir Philip plays some nasty tricks on the others to get revenge - not my favorite. Absolutely no humor on this one.
_inbetween_
The romance here is even worse, much worse, than in Deirdre and Desire, it's nearly non-existent, a farce; in fact this is a very Beaton book, with all the malice and these ill-meaning people being meant to be likable characters for the most. I don't like the aged (and romancing) series protagonists either (cp. D*D aunt).

But despite all the usual M-horrors and series-weaknesses, the two hidden romances between the middle-aged people that happen in the background were a mollifying antacid, and I'
Heather
A light and fluffy read - just what I was looking for. Not the best in the series, but amusing and fun.
Alicia
Sep 28, 2014 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency-era fans
Recommended to Alicia by: No one
ISBN: 0-312-10444-8 (hc) ©1994
10 chapters/152pp

Review to come
Becky
Still great fun although quite predictable.
Marsha
Col. Sandhurst is another resident and employee of the Poor Relation Hotel. Yet again, operating funds are in short supply, and it is the Colonel's turn to replenish accounts by hook or crook. A young unmarried heiress and her loser father have lodged at the hotel, but the father has skipped out without paying their lodging bill -- while abandoning his daughter in London. Colonel Sandhurst appears to offer her shelter and understanding but actually intends to ransom her back to her father. Of co ...more
Angie
3.5... Enjoyable and funny, but formulaic
Jaimey
~Fifth installment in the Poor Relation series~ 3.4 stars

Colonel Sandhurst, the most dignified and proper elderly gentleman one can imagine, more or less kidnaps a young woman, intending to ransom her for what her father owes the owners of the Poor Relation hotel. The heroine is as sweet and innocent as they come, although we're supposed to believe she's been a tomboy up until right before the story started. I had trouble believing it. Still, the story is amusing, as usual.
Janis Hill
Another good read in the Poor Relations series. It's always good to see a series that can go for so long and still have not only original plots but continuing plots in it. And a new maiden in distress and charming young suitor to save her. Thoroughly enjoyed it and slightly sad that there is just one more book in this series left to go.

The eBook formatting on this book far better than the last too. Hoping that was just a glitch.
Lynne Tull
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Maren
This one was better than the previous book. It seemed particularly fun after reading "Death Comes to Pemberly" which was deathly dull. If your life is stressful and you just want some mindless entertainment, pick up one of these books. There's only one book left in this series. Please let Miss Tonks find love!
Joanne
Marion Chesney is actually M.C. Beaton writing under a different pen name. There are 6 books in this series and they are delightful, quick, easy reads. They are a bit of a mytery and a bit of romance novel but if you are looking for something to read on the beach or in the bath - these are perfect.
Rachel
Yet another excellent Regency romance featuring the entertaining Poor Relations. The story was very sweet with many moving parts and developing relationships. A great, quick read!
Jerelyn
I love this series, and I have to say this is my favorite of the series. The characters are so much fun the whole series is. Marion Chesney is a master story teller.
Carrieuoregon
Not as satisfying as some, but a short gallop to the end.
Christine E.
Book 5 in Marion Chesney's delightful Poor Relations series.
Brigitte
As usual a great regency tale with humour,wit and adventures!
Bunnyk
another enjoyable light read from a prolific author
Sara
oh, more silliness, but good and easy while I've been sick.
Patricia
Rating 3.5
Also farcical. ;9)
Leslie
Delightful series, fast reads.
Angela
lOVE THIS SERIES.
Cate
Cate added it
Nov 15, 2014
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Rogue's Reform
  • A Chance Encounter (Mainwaring, #1)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • The Women of Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #2)
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • The Final Sacrament (Clarenceux, #3)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison
  • Simon The Coldheart
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...
Snobbery With Violence Hasty Death Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3) Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relations #1) Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)