Start by marking “Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel

Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel (Tank Girl)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
She’s back! Join everybody’s favourite beer-swilling, chain-smoking, kangaroo-lurving lunatic as she embarks on her first ‘proper’ literary excursion. Violence! Time travel! Midgets! Yes, tremble in fear at Tank Girl: The Novel!

Tank Girl and Booga have launched an all-out assault on the town of Chankers, starting with the church. But what prompted this attack? Could it hav
Published April 8th 2008 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Tank Girl Armadillo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tank Girl Armadillo!

Raina Madison
Apr 22, 2012 Raina Madison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
Our beer guzzling, chain smoking, roo shagging anti heroine is back in a whole new light.

I love Tank Girl. She came into my life at about age twelve and has always been there, even in her long absence from comics. I'll admit that though I highly enjoyed the latest series 'The Gifting' it did feel like something was missing with the absence of Jamie Hewlett's art. When I picked up Armadillo I assumed I would find the same hole Mr. Hewlett left. I couldn't have been more mistaken.

In this medium th
Morgan
Apr 29, 2009 Morgan added it
I can't believe I didn't seek this out sooner. As a fan, nay, disciple of Tank Girl, I was aware that Martin had released a text-only novel about the heroine and her coterie that had starred in his seminal comic work with artist Jamie Hewlett.

Hewlett moved on to bigger and better things (he illustrates the Gorillaz), taking his allegedly hammer-shaped penis with him.

Anyway, I didn't dare to believe that I could enjoy Tank Girl without Hewlett's incredible illustration. I hadn't realized the exte
Chris
Nov 06, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I obsessed over Tank Girl when I was younger. Friggin' loved her. Drew her all the time. Read the first trade-paperback collection so many times, I'd just about memorized it. I even watched the film more time than I care to admit. (Though, truthfully, it's been a long time, and I really want to see it again.) However, I digress.

With this novella and "bushel," I was taken a bit aback. In the first trade-paperback, there are single images of Tank Girl: her laying atop a cow/bull, her standing in a
Malcolm
Aug 30, 2011 Malcolm rated it really liked it
The 1980s saw a significant shift in 'alternative' comics, led most obviously by the sheer literary wonder that is Love and Rockets, Los Bros Hernandez tales of LA's barrios and Mexican village life. Meanwhile, across the Atlantic 'alternative' comics took a different thoroughly (e)sc(h)atological turn with the arrival of an angry, take no prisoners fantasy figure of a woman lead character who must have led Robert Crumb to a new understanding of his own scatology..... Quite simply, Tank Girl, ow ...more
Andrew
Mar 31, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, crime, sci-fi
To be honest in many ways a lightweight read but a fun one for all that...the main tale Armadillo is a novella in many ways..it's quirky fun and constantly twists and turns though luckily it's not overtly in depth so you can always keep pace.
What follows are blue prints for comic strips...short tales and bits of prose from the Tank Girl universe..I'm happy enough to have picked this book up it didn't take up much of my time and did what it was supposed to do inasmuch as it entertained.
Casey
Jul 07, 2015 Casey rated it it was amazing
Who knew Tank Girl would be just as great in text? Or that I'd enjoy a poem about tormenting a Simply Red fan? Now I'll have to give the rebooted comics a shot.
James Bell
May 14, 2014 James Bell rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Glad she's back
writegeist
Feb 25, 2014 writegeist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Tank Girl? At least of those who know who the heck she is, of course. She's a tough livin', pistol-packin', tank-drivin' maniac with a talking kangaroo for a boyfriend. But she's more than that. This chaotic collection of stories, poetry, interviews, and snippets of dialog from comic books that were never completed is a crazy blend of post-apocalyptic Western pastiche and a full-on collision with a freight train full of heavy artillery. A quick, fun read, but not for the faint-h ...more
Mark Farley
Jun 23, 2013 Mark Farley rated it it was amazing
The thing that always bothered me about graphic novels is that they finish too early and as great as they look inside, I always was left feeling bereft so I never really got into them. But I do think they look great and one that I did enjoy was Tank Girl (along with the consequent film) and I loved the main character for her no nonsense, bratty attitude. This though, has everything I wanted being in a long form novel. It really kicks ass and I hope they more like this.
Mike Jozic
Aug 09, 2012 Mike Jozic rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant (although perhaps less so for non- Tank Girl enthusiasts). I wasn't sure if Martin could capture all the manic energy and chaos of a TG adventure through his prose but this baby doesn't skip a beat. Far as I'm concerned, if TG continued on in this format I would be just as happy as when one of the series' amazing artists are illustrating it. So much fun!!
D.J.
Apr 19, 2008 D.J. rated it liked it
The prose adventures of Tank Girl (and a few comic scripts, used and unused) -- fairly well-done (should be, after all we're talking about the creator of the character here), but somehow lacking a lot of the oomph without pictures to go along with ...
Heather
Dec 27, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
For being based off a nut-case comic book, this was truly a superb novel full of lots of explosions and all around epic-ness.
Gloria
Oct 03, 2009 Gloria rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've ever read a book of a comic character that actually was any good.

Fucking brotherfuckers.
Andrea
Dec 08, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
For fans only... otherwise you'll just think Alan Martin's a complete lunatic.
Kat Young
Jul 27, 2010 Kat Young rated it liked it
completely insane, but hilarious if you have a dark/sick sense of humour :)
David
Feb 18, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Fun stuff and a nice transition from comic to novel...
Amy Cremmen
Jul 08, 2011 Amy Cremmen rated it really liked it
Just wicked, that's what it is. Bloody wicked.
W.D. Lady
W.D. Lady marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Damion
Damion marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Laura Lakovic
Laura Lakovic marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Heather Breidenstein
Heather Breidenstein rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Milki Gonzales
Milki Gonzales marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Conal Cochran
Conal Cochran marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Nicole Van
Nicole Van rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Ashley Marie
Ashley Marie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Waldemar Ferreyra
Waldemar Ferreyra rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Turner Dowhan
Turner Dowhan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
AJ
AJ rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
  • Tank Girl: Apocalypse
  • Tank Girl: The Odyssey
  • Wet Moon Volume 5: Where All Stars Fail to Burn
  • The Eleven Million Mile High Dancer
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • Scooter Girl
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
  • Slam
  • Hair Shirt
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourth Annual Collection
  • At the Entrance to the Garden of Eden: A Jew's Search for Hope with Christians and Muslims in the Holy Land
  • Dance of the Assassins (The Devil's Dances Trilogy, #1)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 10: X
  • Torpedo, Volume 1
  • Eve's Tattoo
  • Furry Logic: A Guide to Life's Little Challenges
  • All the Colors of Darkness
  • Nerds 2.0.1
More about Alan C. Martin...

Tank Girl (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Tank Girl The Collection
  • The Hole of Tank Girl
  • Tank Girl (Tank Girl, #1)
  • Tank Girl 2 (Tank Girl, #2)
  • Tank Girl 3 (Tank Girl, #3)
  • Tank Girl: The Odyssey
  • Tank Girl: Apocalypse
  • Tank Girl: The Gifting
  • Tank Girl: Visions of Booga
  • Tank Girl: Dark Nuggets

“Sittin’ in a café in dark glasses sippin’ coffee dunkin’ doughnuts while it’s sunny thinking guns guns guns and I’ve got pockets full of bullets and a suitcase full of money and a fuckin’ awful headache and a police rifle that fires dummies and I’m listening to Barney because she really wants to tell me all the fifty million reasons why she’s feelin’ fuckin’ funny and she wants to kill her mummy and she wants me to kill her daddy but there really is no logic to the way we’re spending Sunday because we don’t know where we’re going and we’ve been drinking since last Monday and Booga’s sharpening sticks and he’s looking like a monkey and I’m waiting for my tank and I know it will look chumly because Dobson is my man and he’s part of my fuckin’ family and when I see him next I’m gonna buy him half a shandy.” 2 likes