Start by marking “Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)” as Want to Read:
Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)

Virgin Heat (Key West #5)

For ten years now, Angelina Amaro has kept a secret so deep, so personal, that she couldn't share it with anyone, not even her closest relative. She is in love. In love with the man who betrayed her father, Mafia capo Paul Amaro, and sent him away to prison. All these years she has pined for Sal Martucci, knowing that the intense - though chaste - love they shared would, s ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 274 pages
Published June 1st 1997 by Thomas T. Beeler Publisher (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin Heat

Jeff Yoak
When I read Shames in the 90's, this is the book on which I crapped out. I think I abandoned it. It really isn't up to snuff with the earlier books, and I think he lost his distinctive sense of what makes Florida funny. I have more patience now and made it through the book and will try plunging into the next one to see if he recovers, but I current suspect that I'll only like his earlier novels.
Tina
Jun 04, 2017 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Fifth in Laurence Shames's loosely-connected Key West Mysteries series, _Virgin Heat_ tells the story of Angelina Amaro, who has pined for Sal Martucci for a decade. Love won't come easy, though, since Martucci was responsible for Angelina's father having been in prison for most of that decade. Now part of the Witness Protection program, Sal, known as Ziggy Maxx, has been unknowingly discovered by Angelina's uncle. And Angelina is determined to find exactly where he is.

This entry in the series w
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Larry Shames does the greatest job of juxtaposing New Yorkers in Key West. He knows both better than they know themselves. This time Sal Martucci went into the witness protection program after he testified against the Big New York Boss, Paul Amaro. After facial surgery, he emerged as Ziggy Marx, a bar tender in Key West, Florida. But Angelina, Paul's daughter, still loves him and her life is not complete until she finds him again. Shames is so funny and so wonderful. If you've never read him, tr ...more
Paul O'Grady
Jul 21, 2014 Paul O'Grady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed the first two Laurence Shames books I read. I thought they had a certain whacky sitcom 1970s TV show kind of vibe and I enjoyed them for what they are. The quality of the writing in this book equaled the others but lacked the charm and humor. While I warmed up to the characters in the other books, the players here left me feeling flat. I did not find theme of love, sex, fulfillment that ran throughout to be particularly profound or satisfying. I'd skip this one and stick with Bert the ...more
Robert Fritz
Mar 06, 2015 Robert Fritz rated it really liked it
Since we were heading to Key West, I decided to read this book to remind myself of my favorite Key West writer that I read a decade or two ago. I recall that I really enjoyed his first couple of books and I kept reading when others of his books came out. At some point I gave up - not being sure if I was simply getting Shamed out or if his books were not quite as enjoyable. I finished this one thinking that it was the perfect one to read right now, but I still think his first couple are his best. ...more
Dobby0390
I struggled with a good portion of this book, though it wrapped up well enough. This series requires the reader to suspend belief in a wink-wink/nudge-nudge sort of agreement: we're here to have fun, not to futz over details. Even so, some of the setups strained credulity a little too much and I found my mind wandering as I questioned the logic. All the loose threads came together at the end, though, so I'd rate it as a fun but sometimes loose read.
Edward
Dec 18, 2010 Edward rated it really liked it
a solid four stars. This has a different set of characters than the Joey Goldman books, but still mob and key west themed. This isn't as funny as the Goldman ones, but as usual the writing shines. Shames conveys emotions more effectively and with less melodrama than just about anyone out there. That alone makes his books worth the read.
Diane Glotzer
Jun 28, 2014 Diane Glotzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well developed characters and plot twists made this a page Turner.

the writing economically paints vibrant pictures of place and character. one is immediately drawn into the multi layered plot and there are laugh out loud moments to lighten the mood of a story that turns dark. when the story resolves it is satisfying.
Judy
Dec 06, 2013 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a good beach read--perfect if you are looking for something completely pointless and no brain required. The storyline was mediocre as were the characters and you figured it would have a happy enough ending. It wasn't as fun, frivolous and frolicky as I expected. Meh.
Cindy Rice
Jan 08, 2015 Cindy Rice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from this author who has an incredible talent for capturing the feel, light and sounds of Key West on paper. Cocktails, sunshine and a Don or two thrown in like some stormy weather ~ sure wish he was still writing this series of books.
Bradford Miller
Jan 03, 2015 Bradford Miller rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot is humorous and he concisely imbues depth to the characters. The many hilarious similes are a bonus.
Ellen Moschel
Jul 19, 2010 Ellen Moschel rated it did not like it
Great fun after "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." Great similes and wild but plausible plot--very New York Mafia with lots of 'observations' about life.
Georgene
Aug 07, 2015 Georgene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Purchased as part of a mystery group buy, but this was more of a thriller than a mystery. Enjoyable.
Sheryl Nudds
Aug 04, 2014 Sheryl Nudds rated it liked it
Very fun summer read. I love the setting in Key West.
Craig Brown
Jun 03, 2014 Craig Brown rated it liked it
not his best. ok beach read.
Christine
Sep 01, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
I liked it. The style is somewhat similar to Carl Hiaasen.
David
Feb 09, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, the-mob
'Drink' this delightful book in
Kathy
Oct 31, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
good story within more stories within more stories. good laughs, too, along the way.
Peter  Masters
Jan 19, 2013 Peter Masters rated it liked it
Lots of fun from from Laurence Shames, reminds me a little of Carl Hiassun and Elmore Leonard, that kind of stuff. Worth a read!
Jane Campbell
Jane Campbell rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Neville
Neville rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2012
Cari Blakey
Cari Blakey rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Michael Jody
Michael Jody rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Rod Harris
Rod Harris rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Jeff Dinkins
Jeff Dinkins rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Robert Laurence
Robert Laurence rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Nancy Niederhauser
Nancy Niederhauser rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Jamie West
Jamie West rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hawk Channel Chase
  • Bahamarama
  • Bones of Coral
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Kick Ass: Selected Columns
  • Walking Money (Bill Tasker, #1)
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...

Key West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Florida Straits (Key West, #1)
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • Sunburn (Key West, #3)
  • Tropical Depression (Key West, #4)
  • Mangrove Squeeze (Key West, #6)
  • Welcome to Paradise (Key West, #7)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Shot on Location (Key West, #9)
  • Tropical Swap (Key West, #10)
  • Chickens (Key West, #10.5)