Start by marking “Virgin Heat” as Want to Read:
Virgin Heat

Virgin Heat

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  246 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For ten years now, Angelina Amaro has kept a secret so deep, so personal, that she couldn't share it with anyone, not even her closest relative. She is in love. In love with the man who betrayed her father, Mafia capo Paul Amaro, and sent him away to prison. All these years she has pined for Sal Martucci, knowing that the intense - though chaste - love they shared would, s ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 274 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by Thomas T. Beeler Publisher (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virgin Heat

Jeff Yoak
When I read Shames in the 90's, this is the book on which I crapped out. I think I abandoned it. It really isn't up to snuff with the earlier books, and I think he lost his distinctive sense of what makes Florida funny. I have more patience now and made it through the book and will try plunging into the next one to see if he recovers, but I current suspect that I'll only like his earlier novels.
Robert Fritz
Mar 06, 2015 Robert Fritz rated it really liked it
Since we were heading to Key West, I decided to read this book to remind myself of my favorite Key West writer that I read a decade or two ago. I recall that I really enjoyed his first couple of books and I kept reading when others of his books came out. At some point I gave up - not being sure if I was simply getting Shamed out or if his books were not quite as enjoyable. I finished this one thinking that it was the perfect one to read right now, but I still think his first couple are his best. ...more
Paul O'Grady
Aug 08, 2014 Paul O'Grady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed the first two Laurence Shames books I read. I thought they had a certain whacky sitcom 1970s TV show kind of vibe and I enjoyed them for what they are. The quality of the writing in this book equaled the others but lacked the charm and humor. While I warmed up to the characters in the other books, the players here left me feeling flat. I did not find theme of love, sex, fulfillment that ran throughout to be particularly profound or satisfying. I'd skip this one and stick with Bert the ...more
Diane Glotzer
Jun 28, 2014 Diane Glotzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well developed characters and plot twists made this a page Turner.

the writing economically paints vibrant pictures of place and character. one is immediately drawn into the multi layered plot and there are laugh out loud moments to lighten the mood of a story that turns dark. when the story resolves it is satisfying.
Brad
Jan 03, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot is humorous and he concisely imbues depth to the characters. The many hilarious similes are a bonus.
Cindy Rice
Jan 20, 2015 Cindy Rice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from this author who has an incredible talent for capturing the feel, light and sounds of Key West on paper. Cocktails, sunshine and a Don or two thrown in like some stormy weather ~ sure wish he was still writing this series of books.
Georgene
Aug 07, 2015 Georgene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Purchased as part of a mystery group buy, but this was more of a thriller than a mystery. Enjoyable.
Craig Brown
Jun 03, 2014 Craig Brown rated it liked it
not his best. ok beach read.
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Larry Shames does the greatest job of juxtaposing New Yorkers in Key West. He knows both better than they know themselves. This time Sal Martucci went into the witness protection program after he testified against the Big New York Boss, Paul Amaro. After facial surgery, he emerged as Ziggy Marx, a bar tender in Key West, Florida. But Angelina, Paul's daughter, still loves him and her life is not complete until she finds him again. Shames is so funny and so wonderful. If you've never read him, tr ...more
Sheryl Nudds
Aug 11, 2014 Sheryl Nudds rated it liked it
Very fun summer read. I love the setting in Key West.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
good story within more stories within more stories. good laughs, too, along the way.
Edward
Dec 18, 2010 Edward rated it really liked it
a solid four stars. This has a different set of characters than the Joey Goldman books, but still mob and key west themed. This isn't as funny as the Goldman ones, but as usual the writing shines. Shames conveys emotions more effectively and with less melodrama than just about anyone out there. That alone makes his books worth the read.
Ellen Moschel
Jul 19, 2010 Ellen Moschel rated it did not like it
Great fun after "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." Great similes and wild but plausible plot--very New York Mafia with lots of 'observations' about life.
Peter  Masters
Jan 19, 2013 Peter Masters rated it liked it
Lots of fun from from Laurence Shames, reminds me a little of Carl Hiassun and Elmore Leonard, that kind of stuff. Worth a read!
Christine
Sep 01, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
I liked it. The style is somewhat similar to Carl Hiaasen.
David
Feb 09, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, the-mob
'Drink' this delightful book in
Jeff Quinn
Jeff Quinn rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
David Williams
David Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jane Campbell
Jane Campbell rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Reana DuVernay Alexandre
Reana DuVernay Alexandre rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Connie Bow
Connie Bow rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Mike Rowan
Mike Rowan is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Brandi Hand
Brandi Hand marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Elbrio
Elbrio marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Robert J Rodkey
Robert J Rodkey rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Bahamarama
  • Bones of Coral
  • Gator A-Go-Go (Serge Storms, #12)
  • Kick Ass: Selected Columns
  • Walking Money (Bill Tasker, #1)
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...