Start by marking “Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking” as Want to Read:

In Beard on Food, one of America's great culinary thinkers and teachers collects his best essays, ranging from the perfect hamburger to the pleasures of oxtails, from salad dressing to Sauce Diable. The result is not just a compendium of fabulous recipes and delicious bites of writing. It's a philosophy of food-unfussy, wide-ranging, erudite, and propelled by Beard's exube ...more
Published September 12th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Beard on Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beard on Food

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanGarlic and Sapphires by Ruth ReichlTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainComfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl
Fabulous Reads for Foodies
94th out of 154 books — 158 voters
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony BourdainLiterary Feasts by Barbara ScraffordThe Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana KennedyThe Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox C...The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson
King's Books Cookbook Club
42nd out of 90 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Haydel
Don't let the 3 stars that I gave this book fool you: Beard on Food is a wonderful book.

The entire time I was reading, I couldn't help but draw parallels to one of my most revered and respected heroes (culinary, as well as just in general): Alton Brown. And that's a good thing.

James Beard has a wealth of culinary knowledge, from both a scientific and anthropologic aspect (yup, culinary anthropology is real). His casual and conversational writing style reminds me of Alton's monologues from Good E
Tracy
Feb 10, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it
Beard's essays are fairly short, but entertaining. I found the "look back" to the food landscape of the 60s and 70s to be amusing. In particular, I enjoyed Beard's comments on creme brulee, in which he wished we saw more of this dessert. He'd certainly have been in for a shock if he could have seen restaurant menus in the 1990s! I think it was illegal to run a restaurant in the 90s if you didn't have creme brulee on the menu. The recipes are tempting, although they do assume a certain familiarit ...more
Joseybird
Apr 22, 2009 Joseybird rated it really liked it
Beard is a wonderful food writer. His tone is jolly, good-natured, straightfoward and simple. He doesn't come off as a high-falutin' gourmet, but just as a lover of food and life.

The only reason why I don't give the book 5 stars is that so much of the book is taken up by recipes, many of which are impractical to make today and which I wish had been updated for the modern cook with their modern kitchens (Christmas pudding with beef suet? Really? It looks amazing, but it would be easier for me to
Martin Mcclanan
Oct 22, 2014 Martin Mcclanan rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this collection of recipes and antidotes from the master!
Nathanial
Aug 05, 2012 Nathanial rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, food
This book is stuffed with great little tips and recipes and descriptions of food that make me hungry and make me want to try EVERYTHING. Quickly getting dog-eared as I mark pages to go back to.

Also, I love the title, and how it always makes me think of little tomatoes, eggplants, and loaves of bread with facial hair, and perhaps lumberjack flannel.
Aarti
Mar 15, 2008 Aarti rated it liked it
I guess this book was big in it's time. It does feel rather dated now. I guess we don't eat like that anymore. Nonetheless his point of view in interesting in parts, but repetitive as you move along. luckily these are a bunch of short essays so it's fairly easy to pick it up after a few days and continue where you left off...
Carolyn
Aug 25, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Beard is a wonderful food writer and of course, American chef. What I like about this book is his love of food, eating and attention not only to American cookery, but other cultures as well. I try to to read cookbooks which have received the James Beard award because they are sure to be excellent.
Jc
Apr 27, 2008 Jc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of some wonderful meditations on food: what it is, what is says about our humanity, how to eat and serve it, and simply how to enjoy it. Also has some nice recipes and kitchen ideas.

[originally published 1974; presented to me by a certain K.Fairy circa 2001]
Drew
Jun 10, 2010 Drew rated it really liked it
Fascinating how much of this book and how many of the recipes are still relevant. Beard was the original foodie and a delightful writer. I'll definitely be keeping this one on the bookshelf for reference.
Anie
Jun 02, 2015 Anie rated it liked it
A delightful book. This is a collection of James Beard's newspaper columns on food. It is often charming (Beard is engaging), and it's really quite a blast to the past. A really nice relaxing read.
Erik
Nov 21, 2008 Erik rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This was an enjoyable read. Though I have to admit I liked "Delights and Prejudices" quite a bit more. A much more personal book.
Shay Corbett
Aug 09, 2016 Shay Corbett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dean of American cookery. Amazing collection of Beard columns on food and entertaining. Fun read with great recipes.
Nicole Blackburn
Jan 22, 2013 Nicole Blackburn rated it really liked it
This book demystifies the erudite side of food for me mixing stories with food, plus I can tell he practiced what he preached
Cyndee Hansen
Jul 02, 2013 Cyndee Hansen rated it liked it
Interesting but would have been more relevant if I read it about 15 years ago as the world of food is ever-evolving.
Ed [Redacted]
Nov 18, 2012 Ed [Redacted] rated it really liked it
One of the best of the food writers. The information is dated but the recipes certainly still work.
Jeanette
this is a really interesting and excellent resource for anyone interested in food/cooking etc
Barbara
Classic Beard. Now reading The Essential Beard Cook Book.
rainie
rainie rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
onlythefireborn
onlythefireborn rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Caiti
Caiti marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Callan Hudson
Callan Hudson rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Baylee
Baylee marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • Is There a Nutmeg in the House?: Essays on Practical Cooking with More Than 150 Recipes
  • An Alphabet for Gourmets
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • Serious Pig: An American Cook in Search of His Roots
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy
  • The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • At Home on the Range
  • History of Food
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • The Oxford Companion to Food
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner

James Andrew Beard was an American chef and food writer. He is recognized by many as the father of American gastronomy. Throughout his life, he pursued and advocated the highest standards, and served as a mentor to emerging talents in the field of the culinary arts.

More about James Beard...