Start by marking “Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The return of a classic food book: James Beard's own selection of his favorite columns and recipes, distilling a lifetime of kitchen wisdom into one volume.

In Beard on Food, one of America's great culinary thinkers and teachers collects his best essays, ranging from the perfect hamburger to the pleasures of oxtails, from salad dressing to Sauce Diable. The result is not ju
Published September 4th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Beard on Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beard on Food

Evertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlComfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl
Fabulous Reads for Foodies
69th out of 112 books — 96 voters
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony BourdainLiterary Feasts by Barbara ScraffordThe Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana KennedyThe Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox C...The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson
King's Books Cookbook Club
40th out of 89 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Haydel
Don't let the 3 stars that I gave this book fool you: Beard on Food is a wonderful book.

The entire time I was reading, I couldn't help but draw parallels to one of my most revered and respected heroes (culinary, as well as just in general): Alton Brown. And that's a good thing.

James Beard has a wealth of culinary knowledge, from both a scientific and anthropologic aspect (yup, culinary anthropology is real). His casual and conversational writing style reminds me of Alton's monologues from Good E
Tracy
Beard's essays are fairly short, but entertaining. I found the "look back" to the food landscape of the 60s and 70s to be amusing. In particular, I enjoyed Beard's comments on creme brulee, in which he wished we saw more of this dessert. He'd certainly have been in for a shock if he could have seen restaurant menus in the 1990s! I think it was illegal to run a restaurant in the 90s if you didn't have creme brulee on the menu. The recipes are tempting, although they do assume a certain familiarit ...more
Joseybird
Beard is a wonderful food writer. His tone is jolly, good-natured, straightfoward and simple. He doesn't come off as a high-falutin' gourmet, but just as a lover of food and life.

The only reason why I don't give the book 5 stars is that so much of the book is taken up by recipes, many of which are impractical to make today and which I wish had been updated for the modern cook with their modern kitchens (Christmas pudding with beef suet? Really? It looks amazing, but it would be easier for me to
Martin Mcclanan
Really enjoyed this collection of recipes and antidotes from the master!
Nathanial
This book is stuffed with great little tips and recipes and descriptions of food that make me hungry and make me want to try EVERYTHING. Quickly getting dog-eared as I mark pages to go back to.

Also, I love the title, and how it always makes me think of little tomatoes, eggplants, and loaves of bread with facial hair, and perhaps lumberjack flannel.
Aarti
I guess this book was big in it's time. It does feel rather dated now. I guess we don't eat like that anymore. Nonetheless his point of view in interesting in parts, but repetitive as you move along. luckily these are a bunch of short essays so it's fairly easy to pick it up after a few days and continue where you left off...
Carolyn
Beard is a wonderful food writer and of course, American chef. What I like about this book is his love of food, eating and attention not only to American cookery, but other cultures as well. I try to to read cookbooks which have received the James Beard award because they are sure to be excellent.
Jc
A compilation of some wonderful meditations on food: what it is, what is says about our humanity, how to eat and serve it, and simply how to enjoy it. Also has some nice recipes and kitchen ideas.

[originally published 1974; presented to me by a certain K.Fairy circa 2001]
Drew
Fascinating how much of this book and how many of the recipes are still relevant. Beard was the original foodie and a delightful writer. I'll definitely be keeping this one on the bookshelf for reference.
Anie
A delightful book. This is a collection of James Beard's newspaper columns on food. It is often charming (Beard is engaging), and it's really quite a blast to the past. A really nice relaxing read.
Erik
Nov 21, 2008 Erik rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
This was an enjoyable read. Though I have to admit I liked "Delights and Prejudices" quite a bit more. A much more personal book.
Nicole Blackburn
This book demystifies the erudite side of food for me mixing stories with food, plus I can tell he practiced what he preached
Cyndee Hansen
Interesting but would have been more relevant if I read it about 15 years ago as the world of food is ever-evolving.
[Redacted]
One of the best of the food writers. The information is dated but the recipes certainly still work.
Jeanette
this is a really interesting and excellent resource for anyone interested in food/cooking etc
Barbara
Classic Beard. Now reading The Essential Beard Cook Book.
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Brittany Decair
Brittany Decair marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
K J
K J marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Rebecca Hearne
Rebecca Hearne marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Karen Gresham
Karen Gresham marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Deb Mclaughlin
Deb Mclaughlin marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Tiffany T
Tiffany T marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
  • Is There a Nutmeg in the House?: Essays on Practical Cooking with More Than 150 Recipes
  • An Alphabet for Gourmets
  • Serious Pig: An American Cook in Search of His Roots
  • White Trash Cooking
  • At Home on the Range
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy (Harvest/Hbj Book)
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy
  • Clementine in the Kitchen
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York
  • The Herbfarm Cookbook
  • American Food Writing: An Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • Home Made Winter
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink

James Andrew Beard was an American chef and food writer. He is recognized by many as the father of American gastronomy. Throughout his life, he pursued and advocated the highest standards, and served as a mentor to emerging talents in the field of the culinary arts.

More about James Beard...
Beard on Bread James Beard's American Cookery James Beard's Theory and Practice Of Good Cooking The James Beard Cookbook Beard on Pasta (James Beard Library of Great American Cooking)