Start by marking “Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility” as Want to Read:

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"Love and Responsibility brilliantly sheds light on the mysterious dynamics between men and women and challenges us to live those dynamics better." — From the Introduction

Father Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II) published Love and Responsibility in 1960, the fruit of his pastoral work, particularly among young people. His analysis of the true meaning of human love is life-
Published September 24th 2007 by St. Anthony Messenger Press (first published August 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Men, Women and the Mystery of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men, Women and the Mystery of Love

Amanda
"John Paul II, however, is concerned that people today often think of love only in terms of feelings...in a culture like ours, in which love songs, romance films and TV shows constantly play with our emotions and prompt us to long for quick, emotionally thrilling relationships like the one Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan seem to find in the movies.

Emma R.
Have you ever heard the saying that "love is a choice?" Has anybody ever told you that love is more than butterflies, pleasure, and emotion? Has anybody ever told you that you're going to have to choose to love someone?

If so, have you ever told yourself that love as a choice isn't all that hard?

Edward Sri's "Men, Women and the Mystery of Love" rams home--sometimes in all of its unnerving unpleasantness--the challenge that love as a choice really is. With chapters on subjective love vs. objective
Holly
Jul 18, 2011 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Currently reading for my Ethics class. I'm really enjoying it so far! Will update when finished!

Very thought provoking book. Really made me analyze how I love others (or how I don't love others). Although written from a Catholic view point, the majority of the book was written with reason as the foundation. Which, of course, goes back to God. It's a short and easy read.

Lily
People today often think of love only in terms of feelings. [This] seem[s] all the more applicable in a culture like ours, in which love songs, romance films and TV shows constantly play with our emotions and prompt us to long for quick emotionally thrilling relationships (...).

Real love, however, is very different from Hollywood love. Real love requires much effort. It is a virtue that involves sacrifice, responsibility and a total commitment to the other person. Hollywood love is an emotion.
Nadine Brennan
Although some points in the book I do not agree with at all! It is an excellent book for discussion! I read it in relation to a Love&Responsibility talk held in my college and it was incredibly useful! I think it did open my eyes on certain issues and on others I got into some debates! But it was a very good point to start from and I think develop the ideas said on a more personal level.
Theresa Duerr
Love this book! Great for studies, book club, or just to pick up and read! I have read it more than 3 times but always learn something new. It helped me see the way the world views love and relationships, what I grew up with, what I am used to, and challenged me to see it in a new light. The first time I picked this book up in college, I was just beginning to build my relationship with Christ. Every time I read it now, I think of where he has brought me and how much he has changed my heart, help ...more
Silvana Arevalo
Eye-opening, cannot recommend enough. Insights can be applied to all kinds of relationships, not just romantic. Much easier to read (have tried to read encyclicals before, didn't go so well) :) Loved it!
Catherine Armentrout
This book was incredible! One to have on your shelf to re-read over and over and over. It's a really easy read and not too long- do yourself a favor and read it.
Jack Haefner
Sri expertly demystifies Pope St John Paul's difficult text "Love and Responsibility."
Fr. Kyle
Dr. Sri explains in clear and understandable language the Karol Wojtyla's seminal book. He hits right at the heart of the young bishop's thoughts and communicates them in such a way that doesn't require philosophical and theological foreknowledge.

I read this book so as to use it in marriage prep and so far it has proved to be a great piece with which to use. I would suggest anyone who wishes to understand better the Theology of the Body to start with this book before delving in secondary TOB li
Jana Crea
Excellent summary of JPII's teaching.
Rena
I read this book for my church group, and I have to say it was very interesting. Much of the ideas mentioned in this book were already exposed to me in readings before, but this one had a slightly different way of wording these same ideas. I found it very easy to read as Sri explained much of the work of John Paul II. This book is almost a translation of the more difficult to read Love and Responsibility.
LenZ
I just learned about this book from the Catholic Educator's Resource Centre (CERC) site where the author Edward Sri is a frequent contributor and had actually ran a series of articles to explain PJPII's book "Love and Responsibility".

Those articles were the basis of and have evolved into the book 'Men, Women and the Mystery of Love'. It is simple reading, yet has delivered the important points and expounded well on PJPII's philosophical work "Love and Responsibility".
Adam
Profound insights about love and relationships. I haven't read John Paul II's Love and Responsibility but this book was a great summary on the main topics discussed in his book. It was an easy read and I was tempted to highlight most of the book. I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone; single, dating, engaged, or married. I'll definitely read this again in the future.
Elise
This book is a great overview of Love and Responsibility (which is dense and kind of scary). But this book breaks it down into smaller pieces that aren't as intimidating. I feel like it still allows the spirit of JPII to shine through. It would be a good book to use in a young adult faith sharing group.
Geoff
The arguments made here are purely on an intuitive basis. Both the author and the Pope make broad generalizations about humanity and love that many may find disagreeable. I certainly didn't agree with much of what he had to say, and it was all to easy to find exceptions and flaws in the analogies.
Patti
This book seems to be a good summary, but as might be expected, my favorite parts of it were the actual quotes from JPII's Love and Responsibility. It prompted me to want to read the "real thing." :)
Kevin Loker
Jan 29, 2011 Kevin Loker is currently reading it
Real great so far-- I'm a big fan of Sri. He's good at taking big works and making them practically accessible in small chunks. Think I want to read JPII's Love & Responsibility in its entirety though.
Susan
I love this book. I used it to prepare a retreat for teens and found it to be very easy to read and teach. It is full of great info from JP II's Love and Responsibility that all of us need to know.
Jon
Dec 18, 2007 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has had trouble swimming through Love and Responsibility!
A great synthesis of the insights from JPII in his book Love and Responsibility coupled with real-life examples from the life of the author. A good read!
Sasha
I love how he defines the different types of friendships.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 12, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: relationships open minded
Hey, doesn;t hurt to ever read another person's ideas!!
Rachel
Made me realize how selfish I am...
David Southwick
David Southwick marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mallory
Mallory is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • The Joy of the Gospel: Evangelii Gaudium
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • YOUCAT English
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Style, Sex & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider Things That Really Matter
  • Three to Get Married
  • Interior Freedom
  • God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter
Dr. Edward Sri is a nationally-known speaker on Scripture and Catholicism and the author of several best-selling books. Besides teaching at the Augustine Institute, Sri is a visiting professor at Benedictine College and a contributor to the popular apologetics series, Catholic for a Reason. Sri is also a founding leader with Curtis Martin of FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students).

He al
More about Edward Sri...
A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy Walking with Mary: A Biblical Journey from Nazareth to the Cross The New Rosary in Scripture: Biblical Insights for Praying the 20 Mysteries Mystery of the Kingdom The Bible Compass: A Catholic's Guide to Navigating the Scriptures