Start by marking “Wild Mountain Thyme” as Want to Read:
Wild Mountain Thyme

Wild Mountain Thyme

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,028 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Victoria Bradshaw fell in love with London playwright Oliver Dobbs when she was just eighteen. But he had left her and disappeared from her life. Now, years later, he was a widower standing on her doorstep wit his two-year-old son in his arms. And Victoria was foolish enough to want to take him back. Their early spring journey to a castle in Scotland would become an odysse ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published September 1st 1989 by Dell (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Mountain Thyme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Mountain Thyme

MomToKippy
Wow, this was a surprisingly wonderful Pilcher! I only say that because I tend to expect the shorter novels to be a little less interesting than her "big" novels but this one was nearly just as good. This was a lovely story with a compelling setting and atmosphere in the Northern Scotland seaside and interesting quirky characters. Her very visual prose, a little romance and some tragedy and angst make for a satisfying read.
Angie
Feb 08, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the longer of her "short" books, and unfortunately for me, the last one I hadn't read with the exception of the short story collections of Flowers in Rain and the Blue Bedroom. I love her books because they are gently written, invoke a bygone era, and leave you with fuzzies inside. Readers should remember these were written many years ago, and I think that is why some people interpret her females as weak. You could say that Victoria in this novel is weak and stupid, or you can thi ...more
Flave
Apr 15, 2014 Flave rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me make this clear: I HATE weak women. And such a woman is, unfortunately, the protagonist Victoria Bradshaw. She is even described as being pale and having colourless hair! Everything dear Victoria cares about is pleasing men, so they don't get annoyed by her. Thus, she lets them (or this one, an artist, Oliver Dobbs) treat her like dirt, and still, as if somebody pressed the standby button on her brain (IF she has one, one might ask, reading that book), she runs after Oliver, apparently th ...more
Amber
Sep 16, 2008 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One!
Shelves: romance
Okay...going into this, I already knew that Rosamunde Pilcher's books moved at a very leisurely pace, but this one was absolutely excruciating. Besides that, just about nothing actually happened in the book and it was all just very predictable. Not to mention there are only so many descriptions of scenery a person can take. Probably about a third of the book was devoted to describing the surrounding area in Scotland. I am so relieved to be done with this book.
miss l coombe
Nov 30, 2015 miss l coombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reassuringly Pilcher-resque read

I have loved Rosamund Pilcher's ever since borrowing "Coming Home" from my grandmother as a teenager. Wild Mountain Thyme delivers Pilcher's trademark beautiful description of the natural landscape- of Scotland this time though, rather than Cornwall. She also throws some old fashioned romance and a pinch of heartbreak and hint of tragedy. All in all a really satisfying read. If I had to make a negative remark about the book I would suggest that the closing line
Claudia
Sep 11, 2013 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The descriptions of the emotions as well as the landscape are so vivid that the reader feels as if he/she is watching a film. Beautiful
Karen
May 15, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-the-world
The Shell Seekers will always be my favorite book by Pilcher, having said that I did enjoy Wild Mountain Thyme, which is set in Scotland. To be honest I found the protagonists in this book frustrating. Oliver Dobbs is a successful author, who is also egotistical to an unbelievable degree. Victoria loves Oliver, and wants only to be with him. The gorgeous descriptions of Scotland are what made this novel so good.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I read this as an abridged audiobook and though the writing was very lyrical the heroine started out as a spineless ninny easily wooed with pretty words and heated glances. I found myself screaming at thin air "don't fall for it!" "don't do it" but, darn, she went and gave up her life for a bearded, selfish, thoughtless nincompoop.

This book was read by Kate Burton who does a beautiful job with the Irish brogue and made listening to the story a real pleasure. I continued to have "issues" with th
Jina Howell-Forbes
As in all Rosamunde Pilcher books, there is great scenic description, multiple family, multiple generation characters, and a love story. This was atypical book for her in all those aspects, but I didn't feel the closeness and connection to the characters in the way I have in other books she has written. They were all a little too flawed. There were ni characters that I would have liked to ask over for "tea and a bit of a tongue wag.

Not a bad book, just not Rosamunde at her best.
Siobhan
Jan 24, 2014 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read several, but by no means a majority, of Rosamunde Pilcher's books. Unfortunately, I did not love this particular novel as much as I had hoped to. I enjoyed the Scottish setting, and Pilcher's word choice and turn of phrase were as ever lovely.

Victoria is without a doubt my least favourite Pilcher heroine to date. However, I think my main bone to pick - the obnoxious Oliver Dobbs, and perhaps rather strange premise aside - is the length.

I am used to the veritable tomes that Pilcher
Cheryl
Oct 06, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorite Rosamunde Pilcher books, but I still always enjoy her descriptions of the English/Scottish/Cornwall countrysides. This particular book takes place primarily in the Scottish Highlands, and feels a bit like a short story in contrast to Pilcher's efforts in "The Shell Seekers", "September" and "Winter Solstice", which are my personal favorites. And I must say it was difficult to read with any pleasure at all when the character of Oliver Dobbs takes center stage - - -it's clea ...more
Cynthia
Apr 19, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything by Ms Pilcher and they are fantastic re reads. Romantic and unashamedly sentimental, full of warmth and wonderful characters.
Kilian Metcalf
Jan 04, 2016 Kilian Metcalf rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I were Rosamund Pilcher, I would remove this book from circulation. I wouldn't be able to gather up all the hard copies around, but I sure could make sure it wasn't available in ebook format. Surely she doesn't need the money.

I love Pilcher, mainly because her people have just plain good sense. I was very surprised when Victoria Bradshaw turned out to be such a ninny. Then I looked at the copyright date: 1978. Okay, I thought, maybe this was one of her earlier novels, but a check of her outpu
Els
Nov 01, 2015 Els rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boek 4 van deze auteur en alhoewel de 3 andere mij niet echt konden bekoren, bleef ik volharden in de boosheid en koos er opnieuw een uit. Waarom? Omdat het boek kocht en het dan ook wil lezen. Mijn nieuwsgierigheid wint het altijd van de rest. De auteur stak er tijd en energie in, dus uit respect lees ik ze dan ook. Nieuwe bijkopen zal ik niet meer doen, maar uitlezen wat ik liggen heb, doe ik sowieso.
En de aanhouder wint. Dit boek was het beste tot nu toe. Het was een leuk verhaal en het zou n
Joan
Apr 27, 2015 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, the characters really well rounded so that you had feelings about them. Oliver- a writer, a cad, egotistical,self centred,charming, selfish, manipulative,with a mean streak.
Victoria- unsure of herself, shy, easily charmed and manipulated to fall into line with his plans. The trip to Benchoile, meeting Roddy and John,caring for Tom and seeing Oliver in a different light changes Victoria and changes the outcome of their relationship. Beautifully descriptive of the lifestlye and and l
Michelle
Mar 22, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not given up on a book in a long time, but I felt I needed to with this one. It felt so formulaic. In reading it, yes I actually made it about halfway through, it felt as though the author had an outline of characters she needed to introduce and a timeline that needed to be adhered to. I bailed at approximately page 150 and then read half of the final chapter. Did I guess the rest of the story? You bet! Thankfully I did not waste too much time with this drivel. Don't waste your's either.
Lynne Benton
Oct 07, 2015 Lynne Benton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goo-ey of course, old fashioned in some respects and a bit weak at the end but good escapist reading; nice descriptions of Scottish country, village and home. A relaxing easy read and satisfying when that's what's wanted - Oliver is self centred and supposed to be; Victoria is passive and a follower - but I could accept that; John perhaps a bit too accomplished but likeable..
Jean Lehman
Jun 04, 2016 Jean Lehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but excellent.

This book was great. Interesting and well written. Yesterday, I wrote a bad review of Pilcher's book "Sleeping Tiger" which was very disappointing for me, but I decided to try another one and am VERY glad I did. Now I will investigate more of her novels until I have read them all. Thank you!
Kitty b shonda
Jan 27, 2016 Kitty b shonda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first 80 pages I fought reading this book. I love Rosamunde Pilcher's books, but this one was totally off her usual mark. I will long remember the Oliver Dobbs character & not fondly either. Since I was snowbound, I forced myself to stay with it! Story picked up & other characters showed who were more typical of Pilcher's characters. I do not recommend reading it.
Rachael
Dec 12, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
My least favorite of all the Pilcher books that I have read so far! I could not stand Oliver and his actions and felt like the writing matched the weight of the situation. For a more complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads.

Lorrie
Oct 02, 2011 Lorrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorrie by: Saw it on the shelf at the used paperback bookstore.
This book has been in my desk drawer at work so I couldn't get to it while on vacation. Having returned yesterday, I grabbed the book and brought it home to finish. It's taken a long time to read this book because this book was just not as wonderful as the other Pilcher books I've read. The female character was just so shallow. This was perhaps due to her age; however, I found it very difficult to relate to Victoria whatsoever. I had to just look her name up because I couldn't even remember her ...more
Linda
Dec 18, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I am in the mood to read one of Rosamunde Pilcher's charming novels of modern day romantic dilemmas. In Wild Mountain Thyme, Victoria is wary when her former love, Oliver Dobbs, appears on her doorstep with a sleeping toddler. He convinces her to accompany him and his young son to the northern reaches of Scotland. He has stolen the boy from his home with his allegedly staid and narrow-minded grandparents. While staying with a writer friend of Oliver's, Victoria begins to see her b ...more
Yang Shu-yuan
Jan 31, 2010 Yang Shu-yuan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilder Thymian" erzählt die Geschichte einer jungen Frau, die meint, ihr Glück in der Liebe gefunden zu haben. Da lernt sie bei einem Aufenthalt auf einem schottischen Landgut einen Mann kennen, der Gefühle der Leidenschaft in ihr weckt. Sie gerät in einen tiefen inneren Zwiespalt, muß sie sich doch zwischen zwei Männern entscheiden.Rosamunde Pilcher, geboren 1924 in Lelant/Cornwall, arbeitete zunächst beim Foreign Office und trat während des Zweiten Weltkrieges dem Women's Royal Naval Service b ...more
Kelly Cookson
I gave this 3 stars because it's easy to read and the descriptions of Scotland etc are nice. However, Victoria drove me nuts. What a wet blanket. After just reading Jane Eyre I kept thinking that Jane wouldn't be such a walkover. Victoria, you need to grow a pair. Most unsatisfactory reading.
Amanda
Jun 29, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok...her writing is good. the supporting characters were great and I wanted to spend more time with them. The two main characters were wretched, one terrible and one super weak, so that took this book down a few notches on the enjoyment scale.
Susan
Mar 03, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Coming Home

Rosamunde Pilcher's books are a warm embrace like coming home after a long day. The characters and the settings are someone and some place you want to know and Wild Mountain Thyme doesn't disappoint except that it ended.
Joyce
An enjoyable read

Even though the woman was a bit sappy, I still love the way Pilcher writes. Her books keep me interested and I love how descriptive her wiring is.You feel like you are right there .
Joan Miller
Jan 02, 2015 Joan Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written.

Once again the story and descriptions pull you right into what is happening so you feel part of what is going on. I loved this book and didn't want it to end.
Jennie C-knight
May 30, 2016 Jennie C-knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one for romances (at least not modern day ones - I would rather make my own!) but this I enjoyed, as it had enough tension to keep you interested but had a happy ending.
Megan Jennings
Nowhere near as good as the Shell Seekers and Coming Home, but an entertaining read. Victoria Bradshaw could learn some things from Penelope Keeling...
  • An Ocean Apart
  • A Week in Winter
  • Silver Wedding
  • King's Oak
  • Second Honeymoon
  • The Camerons
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • Village Affairs (Fairacre, #13)
  • The Golden Cup
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...

“Marriage isn't a love affair. It isn't even a honeymoon. It's a job. A long hard job, at which both partners have to work, harder than they've worked at anything in their lives before. If it's a good marriage, it changes, it evolves, but it does on getting better. I've seen it with my own mother and father. But a bad marriage can dissolve in a welter of resentment and acrimony. I've seen that, too, in my own miserable and disastrous attempt at making another person happy. And it's never one person's fault. It's the sum total of a thousand little irritations, disagreements, idiotic details that in a sound alliance would simply be disregarded, or forgotten in the healing act of making love. Divorce isn't a cure, it's a surgical operation, even if there are no children to consider.” 136 likes
“I wasn't good enough. I had a little talent but not enough. There is nothing more discouraging than having just a little talent.” 11 likes