Start by marking “Commitments” as Want to Read:
Commitments

Commitments

Elegant Sabrina Stone speaks with investigative reporter Derek McGill for only a few minutes, but it is long enough to tell her all that she needs to know about this caring man. When Derek is convicted of murder, Sabrina begins a fight for his freedom.
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published August 1st 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Commitments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Commitments

Wendy
Good story, sensual.
Sharon
Apr 24, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Tough subject, totally unresponsive child, I can't imagine what that would do to a good marriage, let alone the one that Sabrina finds herself in. And the fact that her husband stays at work isn't surprising. What a rotten thing. They were financially stable and had an empty home. Poor Sabrina. When approached by Derek, an investigative reporter who wanted to do a piece on the medical condition, choices made and difficulties experienced, she agreed to be interviewed. Turned out that Sabrina was ...more
Nana
Dec 10, 2016 Nana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Previous to Goodreads I kept a book log. I am updating ratings based on my log. My rating system is 1 - 10. I gave this book an 7.0.
Beth Pearson
Dec 11, 2013 Beth Pearson rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-had-sex
I enjoyed this book from the beginning. You've got Sabrina with her crappy husband and crazy hard child to take care of (mentally handicapped). You've got Derek, an investigative reporter, doing a story about the parents of handicapped kids and the special challenges they face, institutionalizing the kids, etc.

Then you have Derek, in prison for murder and Sabrina visiting him because he seemed to be the only person who connected with her on the challenges of mothering her son.

I enjoyed the gro
Bronwyn Rykiert
Investigative reporter Derek McGill wants to interview society wife & mother (her son is severely handicapped) Sabrina Stone for a story he is doing for his TV show Inside Outside but she is reluctant so they only spend a short time together but it is enough for Sabrina to realize what a caring man Derek is.

Sabrina next meets Derek in a maximum security prison – he is there after being convicted of murder, a murder he did not commit. Sabrina believes he is innocent and wants to help him. The
Diana Donnelly
Jul 17, 2014 Diana Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read many of this author's books. This was published in 1988 so it's one of her earlier ones. It's about a couple who have a retarded son. From day one her husband is in denial of his child's situation and I soon developed a true hate for the fellow. He was a miserable individual to put it mildly. A journalist comes to visit her wanting to do a story about her son. She knows her husband would never consent to such an interview and sends the man on his way. Months later she hears that this j ...more
Kendra
Oct 10, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic! I couldn't put it down. The connection between Sabrina Stone and Derek McGill was intense and HOT! The story took some surprising turns and the one thing that I struggled with was how the story went abruptly from being about a mother struggling with her brain-damaged son to Derek McGill's plight for justice. Otherwise, the story was beautiful and though some of it might have been a stretch of wishful thinking, it was relatable. The love scenes were, again, HOT but so tas ...more
Kaye
Oct 06, 2012 Kaye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
NYC socialite falls for an investigative reporter in prison for manslaughter. I am not sure if this was an early Delinsky, but usually she writes about real families and problems. This seemed more a transition from her romance writing days. The people were wealthy and scenes were steamy. Also the whole plot line of should she put her retarded child in an institution was unpleasant considering she had almost endless money and resources. The plot was very, very predictable.
Brooke
Apr 10, 2009 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't say much because you can read the description of the book. I will say that this book has many parts that would not be suitable to young readers due to violence and sexual content. I really enjoyed the story line and finished this book really quickly. It was one of those books you could pick up and read again on the beach!
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The mother of a brain-damaged infant helps a reporter who she is sure has been framed for murder. Paper-thin characters, rambling plot-line, all too predictable events made this one a loser! Delinsky’s writing, never outstanding, has improved over time – so reissuing a 1988 novel now was a mistake.
Mitzi
Oct 16, 2011 Mitzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Emotional and suspenseful story of a woman torn between the needs of her family and those of the man she loves. I do enjoy this author, not one my favorite reads but it was ok. A woman dealing with a mentally retarded son, a husband does not love her and someone she loves goes to jail. Who will she be committed to?
Linda K. Melzer
Apr 07, 2016 Linda K. Melzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Barbara Delinsky!

I've been reading Barbara Delinsky for what seems like forever. Her novels are so heartwarming they make me feel like I'm sharing a conversation with my best friend. This novel had plenty of romance. It encompassed unique everyday problems and plenty of them. There was intrigue and suspense. I definitely recommend this book.
Jane
Aug 23, 2008 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rather involved book revolving around several different commitments. It is interesting but not a must read. It is rather linear...and early relationships drop out as the main character proceeds.
Denise
Apr 17, 2009 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Such a disappointment. Lead woman has a handicapped child. Author compares struggle to raising the child to burden & a prison sentence. Pushes institutionalization. No correlation from child's point of view.
Linda Timm
Two with difficult lives fall in love. Sabrina has child with disability and her husband takes no responsibility to help her. Derek pends two years in prison for crime that he didn't commit. He was set up. Just ok. Not "can'y put down".
Dana
Oct 23, 2013 Dana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't know who formatted this book for the kindle edition, but its horrible. It is literally unreadable. I will have to try again later when I get my hands on a paper edition. Kindle problems urgh!
Kaylynn Johnsen
I can't remember what year we read this for book club, sorry. I related to the story of a special needs child, but I couldn't relate to anything else in this book, especially his weird family of writers.
Ruby
Jul 31, 2013 Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magnifique ! J'ai lu plusieurs romans de Barbara Delinsky qui ont été de purs moments de bonheur. Celui-ci en fait partie !
Beaucoup d'émotions et de sentiments forts décrits très justement. On est émus et bouleversés plus souvent qu'à notre tour.
A lire absolument !
Dori
Mar 04, 2009 Dori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caught up in revenge the main character in this book almost missed how blessed he was showing the futility of revenge. Be prepared for many "x rated" portions.
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Loved this book. What a shame she went into chick lit. Haven't read her stuff in awhile, but this book was awesome.
Anne Washington
Aug 04, 2015 Anne Washington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best Book Ever! My first read by Barbara Delinsky, and I've been reading her since this fantastic book. Loved it.
S
Jan 21, 2011 S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't too found of this book. At times it felt like it dragged on while the plot was going no where. Really didn't care too much for the ending as well.
Camandwmm
Very touching story. Very interesting characters. Read book in 2 days; anxious to see what happens!
Schwartz
Apr 02, 2008 Schwartz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book the last few days. A story of compassion,faith and commitment. I started reading Barbara Delinsky's books a few years back. First read "Accidental Woman" and was hooked.
Vicki
Apr 23, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Romance handicapped child father doesn't want wife or child. Writer wife become invloved w/reporting who was framed for a murder
María José
Aunque se me ha hecho un poco largo, me ha gustado el libro bastante, con la reivindicación de los derechos de la mujer y con la confianza en el sistema judicial. Muy de los ochenta.
Marcy Collins
Jul 13, 2016 Marcy Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was one that I hadn't read, but I am glad I found it! It was a wonderful story that filled all my checkpoints on a good book!
Debbie
Mar 15, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Liked it. Liked Sabrina & Derek. The Nicky part was sad. Some mystery, some love story
Laura Whitver
Laura Whitver rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2011
  • Always and Forever
  • Love in Another Town
  • Anywhere You Are
  • Dream a Little Dream
  • The Soldier's Secret Daughter (Top Secret Deliveries #3)
  • Sing to Me of Dreams
  • Where There's a Will (The Wacky Women, #3)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...