Start by marking “Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales: A Knitter's Stash of Wit and Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales: A Knitter's Stash of Wit and Wisdom

Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales: A Knitter's Stash of Wit and Wisdom

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales brings to life the unique and universal experiences of knitters from a variety of backgrounds. This exceptional collection combines lighthearted essays with more philosophical pieces from authors and experts such as Meg Swansen, Perri Klass, Lily Chin, Teva Durham, Lela Nargi, Susan Gordon Lydon, Suzyn Jackson, Amy Singer, Greta Cunningham ...more
Published September 25th 2005 by Voyageur Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales

This was ok. Some stories better than others for sure. I didn't like the way this was seperated. The same person read most of the essays/stories in this for the most part (I believe the only exception was that Meg Swansen read her own work)and when an essay was finished she would rather seamlessly move into the introduction to the next story. I had a really hard time knowing when a story ended. It was a little irritating.

I really liked Lily Chin's story. So much of her personality came out in h
Bibliotropic
This book could have been called KnitLit Four-ever without ever changing in message or content. A compilation of knitting (and crocheting) stories is hardly original anymore. One of the editors of the KnitLit books actually had a story featured in this book.

But be that as it may, that doesn't mean that Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales wasn't enjoyable to read. If there's one thing I love about fibre arts, it's the willingness of others to tell their stories, their failures and triumphs, and to
Lindsey
Uh, how to put this?--my old stalker gave me this book. He came to the play I'm currently in and handed this book to me in the lobby, saying he'd gotten it at a sale. Who knows. Hey, thanks, dude. Better than the lingerie you left on my doorstep for my 21st birthday, am I right?

ANYWAY, I am reading this because I really love knitting and when I'm not knitting, I like to read about knitting. The quality of the essays in this book differ WIDELY; most of them are written by people who are clearly
Diana
Sep 24, 2008 Diana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Recommended to Diana by: Lenore Bayne
As a knitter who writes and a writer who knits, i thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short essays loosely bound together by the theme of knitting. some real gems in there. can be appreciated by knitters and non-knitters alike. i will keep it on my bookshelf to loan to friends who knit.

What i learned from this book is that knitting, though a solitary activity, has universal themes, and that knitters the world over share many of the same experiences through their knitting.
Kara
I loved this collection, all the different perspectives on knitting. It's nice to see the community in knitting.
Megan
My dad picked out this book for me and gave it to me for Christmas, I started reading one of the short stories right away. Unfortunately, I happened to pick "The Baby Blue Blankie" by Kay Dorn. Cue sobbing and crying on Christmas morning. My father was aghast and felt terrible. Some of these stories are much better than others but every time I see a lacy baby blanket I will always remember Kay Dorn's heartbreaking story about losing her grandson, Teddy.
Jan
Who knew there were so many stories involving knitting? The same reader does them all on this CD; I wish they had used a few different people to read - the stories sometimes seem to blend together. Recommended only for those who do knitting, crocheting or other needlework.
Tevilla
A book of short essays about knitting and crocheting. Some were more thoughtful and touching than others. A nice break from the other reading that I am doing and made me want to knit even more.

Recommended for knitters/crocheters.
Brooke
Mom mom gave this to me for Christmas shortly after I learned to knit. I finally read it a few years later, it's a quick easy read but not all that earth-shattering.
Angela Gill
Listening to these essays as I walk and I don't walk every day! Some are interesting; others are repetitive. Not the greatest but ok to listen to while I walk.
Molly
A book of short essays about knitting and the importance of the craft in the authors' lives. A lot of the points they made hit home.
Kristin
The only really good essay is the last one.
Annie
Sep 20, 2011 Annie added it
Shelves: knit-lit
Very fun, relaxing stories to knit to.
Sandy
Entertaining essays about knitting.
De Morris
De Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Nigel Syin
Nigel Syin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Mae Arink
Mae Arink marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
For the Love of Knitting: A Celebration of the Knitter's Art Knitticisms...And Other Purls of Wisdom The All-American Hot Rod The Fly Fishing Anthology Minnesota in 3D: A Look Back in Time: With Built-in Stereoscope Viewer-Your Glasses to the Past!