Start by marking “Hating Alison Ashley” as Want to Read:
Hating Alison Ashley

Hating Alison Ashley

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  2,962 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
A classic story of friendship and jealousy from a beloved Australian author.
Erica has always believed herself to be the star of her sixth grade class. But then Alison Ashley shows up, and right from the start, seems to threaten Erica's position. Can these classmates ever see past their difficulties and find friendship?
Published October 1st 1985 by Puffin Books (first published 1984)

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 02, 2017 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it it was amazing
I didn't know a thing about this book except (1) it is a 1001 Children's Book and (2) one of the main character has the same name as I originally had and (3) it's our book club read for January. The cover was awful and the title worried me, but I sat down to read it today and read it all in a lovely whirl of a few hours. I love the wildly imaginative Erika Yurken who manages to deal with her disappointing life with an odd combination of repeated trips to the school nurse's office and zany storie ...more
Scosa98
Mar 31, 2012 Scosa98 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was a horrible book and lacked many aspects, if not all, that a good book needs. Unfortunately, there is no option for rating it 0 stars. Some of Robin Kleins books are ok, but this one could win a place in 'Australias Worst Children's Book' if there was an award for it.
Alyssa
Aug 19, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle school kids
Shelves: 2011
My school recently did a production on this book and although I didn't see it, I would have thought it was great. Hating Alison Ashley is a old but well loved book (well here in Australia it is) and I feel that I really should read this sometime.

Hating Alison Ashley is about a girl called Erica Yurken. She knew that she was intelligent and everyone loved her. And she knows that she is superior to everyone at the ill-famed Baringa East Primary School. That is, until she meets Alison Ashley, a new
Mar 18, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I liked this book alot as a child because it is written from the perspective of a girl who is very realistic and not too likeable. The main character is a girl named Erica Yurken who is a show-offy hypochondriac. She is insancely jealous of a new girl at school, Alison, for no reason other than that Alison is smart, neat and pretty. Erica is alaways trying to show that she is better than Alison...with bad results.
This is a funny, and realistic, book.
Aug 22, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Hating Alison Ashley is about a new girl arriving at school and Erica Yurkan instantly hating her because she looks out of place and a better class of person. That's it. So we sit through Erica assuming the worst, convinced Alison is out to get her and finding more things to hate no matter how small and shallow.

The first thought when I started reading this was that we finally got a story from someone other than the middle class. Granted it was less eloquent in my mind but that isn't important. T
Ania
Nov 29, 2011 Ania rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the show "Keeping Up Appearances"
Recommended to Ania by: saw the movie first
4.5 stars :)

Hating Alison Ashley is an amazing story about a flawed character named Erica Yurken and her struggle to accept herself as well as a new student, Alison Ashley.

The amazing parts of the book
I love how this book was written! :P For example:
a) If you notice, Alison Ashley has a very stoic facial expression and says hardly anything. The whole story is therefore a story of Erica Yurken struggling to accept herself as she projects that struggle onto her interactions with Alison Ashley. Thi
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A surprisingly fun read; you just can't help but like Erica, despite her prickly exterior. There are numerous laughs along the way as readers watch Erica slowly begin to gain confidence about herself and realize that her self-hate was the thing dragging her down, rather than any animosity on Alison Ashley's part. A pity the movie completely dissected the story.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Actual rating 3.5 stars. A funny little novel about life in an Australian Primary School. Best suited for ages 9-11, Hating Alison Ashley features a rather obnoxious grade 6 student. Readers of this age group will enjoy the humour, and the familiar situations, such as school camp.

The protagonist Erika, nicknamed Yuk, is a great example of an unreliable narrator and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in reading between the lines on many of the situations that arise throughout the story. When t
Lamepun
I remember reading this book in fifth grade. I hated it, because I hate sloppy people, and I like neat, organized people, and the book was about the sloppy girl and not the organized girl (so I guess I totally failed and continue to fail the message of this book, but hey, I'm not 12)

There were moments which just made me cringe in shame, and the main character was awful, but I have to say, this book left a lasting impression on me, and I can remember a few specific scenes from it more than twelve
Lauren
Dec 27, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an adult and remember laughing out loud. When I read it to my children years later they too laughed out loud. The main character is horribly flawed but you can't help liking her despite her self centered arrogant and hypochrondriac ways. Having the story told by her perspective adds to the nuance of the story. Seeing the world through her goofy insights leads to readers to wonder about trusting first person narrative--good literature lesson for children. There is a sophistica ...more
Zoe Mezzino
Jul 25, 2014 Zoe Mezzino rated it really liked it
This book is very entertaining. I also feel quite horrified that someone could hate this book. Hate is a very strong word. I think no one should say that the author needs to see some one because that could be taken very offensively. If you didn't like a book, say it without offense or some one could either get mad at you, or extremely upset. It might even make some one so worried that people won't like their book that they don't write it at all.
Stevie
Nov 18, 2008 Stevie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favourite I think everyone can relate to Erica at some stage of there lives.feeling like everyones against you, wanting more and jealous of those who seem to have everything. cleverly written and amusing I still love this book even as an older reader.
Mirbeast
Apr 14, 2010 Mirbeast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book i am writing my own
Ashlee
Feb 01, 2017 Ashlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great read and even though the characters were very young it didn't feel like it was a book for little kids. As I had watched the movie before reading the book and love the movie I thought it would be hard to connect with the book but the plot is similiar and the characters are more suitable at a younger age for their personality. The characters in the book are written consistantly and feel that they don't deviate from their personality. The first person account means we see Allis ...more
Anna Davidson
Feb 04, 2017 Anna Davidson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific story of friendship, jealousy and suburban life. Good opportunities for discussion about the importance of not judging people by their appearances. An Australian classic.
Mel Campbell
This book was so formative for me. It's the same kind of story as Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole cycle: Erica Yurken fancies herself cultured and artistically talented, but is trapped in mundane suburban surroundings with family and classmates who constantly frustrate and humiliate her. Even her nicknames, Yuk and Erk, represent being the object of disgust.

Erica hates Alison Ashley, a recent transfer student who lives in a more salubrious neighbouring suburb, as the personification of everything Eri
Llewellyn
Nov 30, 2014 Llewellyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hating Alison Ashley is about a girl named Erica. Erica wants to be the best at everything. She also wants to be rich, and beautiful, and well dressed, and famous, and very important. Alison Ashley is a new girl at Erica's school. Alison Ashley seems to be everything that Erica isn't. Rather than trying to make friends with Alison or seeing things from Alison's point of view, Erica constantly tries to lie and one up Alison.

*Spoiler Alert: But at the end Erica learns that some of the things she
☆Antigone♪
Reading 'Hating Alison Ashley' gave me an insight into the mind of a jealous being. I found it disappointing that Erica (the protagonist of the story) didn't evolve as a character, she remained jealous and selfish from beginning to end. I find that really sad.
Alison Ashley didn't change the game either, by that I mean she didn't have the strength to move on from Erica and find more like minded company.
I didn't like the book because nothing happened, there was no climax and the tension between t
Lisa Birch
May 23, 2016 Lisa Birch rated it really liked it
I loved this book all through my childhood. Erica was utterly ridiculous, but you couldn't help siding with her, her family were chaotic, and her school life terribly disappointing. Then, Alison Ashley. How, how I hated her! We have all had an Alison in our lives, but few redeemable like this one.

I loved that Erica developed real talents in areas she already has natural ability in, rather than indulging her actress fantasies any further. Lenny is also the unsung hero of this entire novel.

Havin
Jul 17, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy this story, I enjoyed it when I first read it in 5th Grade and I still enjoy it now.

This is the story of girl who has an odd family, Erica. She was the best student in her class which was full of horrible children that could not kepe a teacher. Until Mrs. Bellmont came and got them into line.

Then Alison came to the school, whom is seen to be perfect in every way.
Eric becomes jealous and events go down, especially when the class go to camp. Erica is jealous as she is seeking atten
MT
Dec 08, 2013 MT rated it did not like it
I had this book in junior high school, one of the copies that the English dept uses when they teach it in class. As I was a lonely boy in the country, I was stuck for reading matter. For some reason that was the book I went back to. I must have read it twenty times. Jumped-up bogan trying to to My Fair Lady herself into a better situation, with overtones of Julius Caesar. Not really, the book is awful, and a terrible thing to force a teenager to reread out of sheer desperation. I ended up diggin ...more
Nicole
Hating Alison Ashley did not live up to my expectations built by its continual use in high school English classes. While being a great teenage book, I suspect that more recent fiction in both teenage and young adult fiction have spoilt readers for choice. While the plot, with its moral of not judging others on first appearance, is suitable for the age group, it is extremely simple and does not provoke deep thought. I would recommend this to a young teenage reader or one who is not a confident re ...more
Cynthia
Jun 24, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Hating Alison Ashley is not what you would expect of a typical teen fiction novel. It was quite a thrilling text read and definatley goes up to my favourites list. Just the use of incorperating elements of romance, humor, mystery, melodrama really engaged me into read further into the novel. Kinda like all the flavors of ice-cream imaginable into one cone, you instantly swallow the whole thing down but yet you want more. Hating Alison Ashley is no doubt a must read in the sun with a glass of ice ...more
Ben
Jan 20, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
That Alison Ashley! To this day I still think about a scene from the book where the main character bemoans the perfection of AA's celery, made curly by skilful knife work and ice water. We had to read this in high school, as I imagine many other students have, and it was not an awful book, so far as it goes.
Lauren
Despite me probably being too old to enjoy this book, it never fails to capture my interest!!! I have read it again and again and have never been tired of the plot. The movie of this book was a let down though...

Joy
Nov 23, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
I was made to read this book in 7th grade and personally I found it really interesting, I found a lot of things that related between me and Erica and some of the other characters i would rank this novel a must read because I found that the reader could relate to a lot of things an it was very captivating.
Linda
Although this book is becoming dated (oh how technology moves!) and there are a few Aussie-isms in it I would still recommend this story for mid-late primary school children.

It addresses many local 'problems' of children that reflect the wider world 'problems' of friendship, a sense of place, self worth, family, class etc etc. Enjoy the fun - because there are some very funny parts.
Subin
Aug 17, 2011 Subin rated it it was amazing
This story is about a girl called Erica who is such a show-off and think she's the best. But when a new girl named Alison comes to school, Erica starts to be jealous of her because she is smart, pretty, tall and popular. Erica acts really mean to Alison at the start but in the end, they become best friends. This book is so fun, I LOVE IT!
Emily Becker
Jan 15, 2014 Emily Becker rated it really liked it
Such a great book where the main character has so many blatant flaws but at the same time is so relatable, you can't help but love her, and her development throughout the novel is awesome. A very funny, very clever light-hearted coming-of-age novel which teaches you to appreciate yourself and your situation, and the dangers of comparing yourself to others.
Magdalena
Jul 01, 2014 Magdalena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed at every page of this book. What a great character Erika is, so annoying, feeling so superior to everybody and compulsively lying! I also enjoyed Barry Hollis and Margeart, along with the characterization of Barringa East, and, of course, the such nice ending.
I will start recommending it at the library.
  • Playing Beatie Bow
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Blinky Bill
  • Taronga
  • Blabber Mouth (Rowena Batts, #1)
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Thunderwith
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Deadly, Unna?
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • With Clive in India
  • Storm Boy
  • The Nargun and the Stars
  • Walking Naked
  • Mandragora
  • My Place
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Peeling the Onion
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...

“Diane Harper had been sneakily copying, and was making a nurse costume, too, but being Diane, it turned out looking more like a Playboy Bunny without the ears. Alison’s, however, was beautiful.” 1 likes
“I could take Lennie's surname, now that he was going to be my stepfather.
I thought about that. And yelped.
'What's the matter, Yuk?' Alison called from the next shower cubicle.
'Grubb!' I howled. 'Lennie's last name is Grubb!”
0 likes