Start by marking “Eva Peron: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Eva Peron: A Biography

Eva Peron: A Biography

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In this best-selling biography, French and Argentine journalist Alicia Dujovne Ortiz examines the mythology that surrounds Eva Peron as she penetrates the complexities behind Peron's ever-lasting allure. Born in 1919, the illegitimate daughter of destitute Argentine farmers, Eva Duarte spent her adolescence aspiring to the grand and glorious fame of the theater. At the fir ...more
Published July 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Eva Peron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eva Peron

Jill Hutchinson
Jun 20, 2014 Jill Hutchinson rated it it was ok
I don't know why but I just couldn't get interested in this biography of a fascinating subject. Eva Peron was a saint to her people, especially the poor but basically started her life as a prostitute. She was married to one of the strong men dictators of South America. That should make for one interesting book......maybe it is but it did not resonate with me. Part of the problem might be that it is a translation which led to some pretty awkward sentences and grammar. The author seemed to be more ...more
Dana
Jan 08, 2015 Dana rated it it was ok
This is one of the worst biographies I have ever read. It reads like a gossip rag for the majority of the book. The author doesn't care to separate fact from fiction and frequently mentions multiple versions of the same event without clarifying which is accurate. The author even suggests a few times that the fictional account is more accurate of the feeling at the time (my interpretation). The final, third, section of the book is the most interesting but it's not enough for me to recommend this ...more
Melina Martin
Not a bad biography, overall. However, the book was marred by a clumsy translation- sometimes sentences were structured in a manner which made no sense, sometimes words were misused, sometimes spanish phrases were left undeciphered.

I would have preferred more description of Evita's actions, and less of her appearance. And for the author to stop describing Peron as 'virile'. And for less nonsense about Nazi gold.

Still- glad I read it.
Paula Dembeck
Sep 05, 2013 Paula Dembeck rated it liked it
An excellent biography that has made use of several documents only recently released to the public.

Eva Peron has always been an interesting character. Growing up in poverty and in an ambiguous family situation, she was determined from a young age to better herself and gain the respect of others. She boldly left home when she was young and worked hard at becoming an actress, although she did not have much talent and so was never very successful.

Her complex and strange relationship with her husb
Laurie
Jul 04, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I am fascinated by people who rise from poverty and defeat nearly impossible odds to make their mark on the world. Evita is a controversial figure, to be sure -- a fascist and a bit of a goose-stepper, but also intensely devoted to her country and its neediest members, even to the point of openly defying her country's ruling oligarchy. To her beloved poor, she constantly reinforced the idea that they had the _right_ to desire happy lives. And Evita's own story was testament to the power of desir ...more
Amy Stoltman
Jun 21, 2016 Amy Stoltman rated it it was amazing
It was pretty good. The writing was pretty boring, but the subject was interesting as hell though. I wanted to read this because of the play Evita. Of course I wanted to know the real Eva Peron. I just couldn't figure out if she was happy with her life or not. But the part that really bothered me was what happened after she died. If it was true, It was very evil what happened. Desecrating a corpse. WTF is WRONG with people?
Maureen
May 16, 2010 Maureen rated it liked it
The back cover says that this author "separates the myth of the saint from the myth of the power-hungry prostitute". However, I felt like Ortiz almost wholly endorsed the latter view (although in a fair way), until the last third, when she abruptly transitioned to Evita's charitable works. My biggest complaint was that while the personal parts of the biography were extremely detailed, perhaps too much - how could she know what Juan and Eva did in bed when they first started dating? - the broader ...more
Jen
Jul 22, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok
I bailed after a third of the way through. it was more Peron and the political scene rather than Eva...
Cassandra Griffiths
I found this book really interesting, but by the last third of the book my interest was beginning to wane and it was a real struggle to complete the book. What killed my interest? The way the author wrote, I found her style far too flowery. I was fascinated by the Peron's involvement in protecting Nazi's and its involvement with the church. I found some of the authors claims about the Peron's intimate life unlikely as I imagine these were not details that would have been shared and seem to be ba ...more
Debra
Jan 18, 2014 Debra rated it it was ok
I usually love biographies but I was not impressed this book. It did not come off as well written. I am assuming that is based on the translation and not truly the fault of the original author. There were historical facts about Argentina and the time period but truly a dull read.
Ines
Jul 09, 2012 Ines rated it liked it
It was ok. Honestly when I read this book long time ago I was shocked for so many things I didnt knew or expected about the life and character of Eva Perón.The book portrayed her as an ambitious person with little true concern for her "descamisados" or a concern mostly based on passion and convenience than on truly consciousness of their condition. I have read various biographical articles which also highlight aspects of this. I wonder if anything different can be said about her. ...more
Marcella
Sep 08, 2013 Marcella rated it really liked it
This book is a translation of the original Spanish publication. It does a decent job of keeping you engaged and wanting to know more about who Eva Peron was. The author also allows you to get to know Juan Peron and his politics. I am certain his wife's causes had much to do with cementing his enduring popularity and influence in Argentinian politics even though she died at such a young age.
genn
Sep 08, 2009 genn added it
this book is very detailed and specific. i like the random facts that i'm learning as i go about geography, argentina, words..... Also, the author does a good job of telling all of the possible versions of eva peron's life. An added benefit is the song don't cry for me argentina usually starts playing in my head whenever i pick up the book!
Jennifer Sweeney
Nov 17, 2013 Jennifer Sweeney rated it liked it
The translation is very poorly done and there's a lot of sidebar analysis done by the author who is not very impartial. She references her imprisoned father at one point although it's never fully clear whether he was imprisoned under Peronism. Despite these issues, I learned quite a bit about Argentine history, politics, etc.
Kelly Suprenant
Apr 29, 2013 Kelly Suprenant rated it really liked it
Solid biography, my first on Evita. Ortiz does a good job of showing all the facets of her personality - psychotic desire to be loved included. She gets a bit caught up in lavishing attention on inconsequential characters, but a highly worthwhile read.
Jacqueline
Oct 14, 2010 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
After having seen the musical and having been to Buenos Aires, I decided to find out the reality behind the legend/myth of Evita. This was very interesting, thorough and easy to read. It seemed quite balanced not deifying her nor villifying her.
Bethany
Oct 06, 2011 Bethany rated it it was ok
I naively expected to enjoy this based solely on the fact that I enjoyed the movie, Evita. It turns out her life was much more depressing when written in black & white. It also turns out that I did not enjoy her story nearly as much as I expected.
Salvatore Leone
Feb 03, 2011 Salvatore Leone rated it it was ok
This book is quite detailed but a lot of the details are ones I've never heard before, there is not a lot in the way of providing sources for the information, and that bothered me. I'll be looking for another bio of her.
Leigh Ellen
A no holds barred look at the life of Evita, including theories that she slept her way to the top. I read it while in Buenose Aires, which made it all the more interesting.
Zane
Feb 17, 2013 Zane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't have much to say about this biography, because I recommend you read it for yourself. This book is a remarkable tale about a remarkable woman with a remarkable story.
Mary Newcomb
Eva Peron is a fascinating woman with a confusing personal history. This book did a good job of portraying that, against the backdrop of intriguing Argentina.
Lynn (Ellesea Loves Reading)
Some of the content of the book was a little strange due to been translated from Spanish to English. However, it was a thoroughly interesting read.
Terri
Dec 02, 2009 Terri rated it it was ok
Read this in 1998. I love the person Eva Peron - a woman leader for the people of Argentina.
Lauren
Aug 09, 2010 Lauren is currently reading it
Easy to read and interesting. I usually read fiction, but this is worth reading.
Heather
Jun 26, 2009 Heather is currently reading it
The author is so very descriptive. I'm looking forward to learning more about her.
Whimsical
Sep 15, 2011 Whimsical rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Fascinating! She shattered the glass ceiling....A strong and driven woman...
Brian Rodriguez
Aug 14, 2011 Brian Rodriguez rated it liked it
Nice to learn about Eva, but didn't care for the format.
Carlos
Feb 12, 2013 Carlos rated it liked it
Finished rereading this book:)
Janine
Apr 26, 2014 Janine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, atw80books
Boring
  • Serpent in Paradise
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • Cartas Desde El Infierno/letters from Hell
  • Fanny Burney: A Biography
  • Historia de una maestra
  • Robert Frost: A Life
  • Blue Angel: The Life of Marlene Dietrich
  • Terry Fox: His Story (Revised)
  • A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of the Kennedy Assassination
  • Evelyn: A True Story
  • Mozart
  • Ivan the Terrible
  • Alles om jullie heen is er nog: Het verhaal van een nabestaande
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
  • To Hell and Back
  • De eeuw van mijn vader
  • Den of Lions: A Startling Memoir of Survival and Triumph