Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  21 reviews
L'Apologie de Socrate - compte rendu du procès en impiété intenté à Socrate en 399 av. J.-C. -, le Criton - présentation d'un entretien que le maître eut avec un de ses disciples qui avait tout préparé pour le faire évader peu avant son exécution -, le Phédon - analyse dramatique des derniers entretiens de Socrate avec ses amis, au moment même où il allait mourir -, ces tr...more
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published December 15th 2008 by Folio (first published -399)

To ask other readers questions about Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

Patrick Braga
The first two dialogues are worthwhile in considering the notion of citizenship, honesty, and virtue. The Phaedo, however, is insufferably tedious to read. While useful as a vocabulary-building tool, the argument that Socrates proposes rests entirely on barriers of linguistic binaries (such as contraries like “sleeping” and “waking,” “worse” and “better”), and frankly outdated notions of memory and perception. Because it presupposes too many assumptions to be worthwhile, I only found it slightly...more
Kiran Kumar
This is an amazing book of philosophy and trial of Socrates, the man considered to be the Father of World Philosophy. The book is written by Plato, one of the staunch devoted pupil of Socrates and prominent ancient philosopher. The book is nothing but the translation of three of Plato’s works namely, “The Apologia”, “The Crito” and “The Phaedo” all of which have reference to the trial, imprisonment and death of Socrates.
The first part represents the trial of Socrates in the court of law at Athe...more
Weathervane
It's no wonder Socrates was so revered in his time: he's damnably clever; and the methodical way in which he reaches his conclusions are such fun to follow that even were you not to agree with him, as I often didn't, you couldn't help but wish you did. Sure, confident, unflagging in stoic persistence -- would anyone want to argue? You just want to listen.

Phaedo is probably the least relevant to modern readers. A belief in Greek mythology forms the basis of the men's speculation on death, so if S...more
Jenna
This book was an anecdote by Socrates friends before he was sentenced to death by drinking the poisonous hemlock. Socrates reflections upon his sentence which has been passed upon him, and as explicit to his belief that in going to his death he is only passing to a better happiness in life.

While the Crito......Socrates conversation with a friend named Crito who had been present on his trial, and upon his death. Crito offered to assists Socrates in paying fine, and ensuring his safety if he adopt...more
Drew
A quick, intellectual read. I didn't rate it higher because I didn't consider it enjoyable as much as I did intriguing. I think the biggest take-away is that logical reasoning is a great way to approach certain problems, but it can still lead to some very wrong conclusions if the line of reasoning doesn't begin with pure fact.

I'll accept Socrates' proof of the immortal soul, and his statement about absolute duty to one's country, but many of the other conclusions (description of the underworld,...more
Mohamed
never really got past the 100 , the book has alot of interesting ideas and ideals , just the way they are presented is too damn boring and repetitive , platos conversation method is really mono directional and that is really boring
Georgia Butler
It seems ridiculous to rate Plato's dialogues, especially since these three (Apology, Crito, and Phaedo) are our closest historical link to Socrates, the father of Western philosophy. I'm sure I tried reading these dialogues 30 years ago but didn't have the proper mindset. Coming to them now provided me enlightenment on too many levels to discuss, but I will note what most intrigued me: Plato's account of Socrates' arguments for the immortality of the soul, discussed with his cohorts during the...more
Jeremy Egerer
Plato has got to be one of the most noble lunatics who ever lived. I've never seen anyone look so good coming up with so many right conclusions in the most ridiculous, nonsensical ways possible -- and for that I love him. Not essential reading, by any means; but certainly worth reading simply to have read Plato.

The Apology and Crito were brilliant; Phaedo -- out of which I expected the most -- was half silly.
Carol Spears
Stasha
I remember reading this in college or high school but it's the recommended start for the great books 10 year classics reading program so I read it again. I was a nice reminder about the power of questions. Not to mention, the reminder that life should be examined on a regular basis. "The unexamined life is not worth living."
Bcoghill Coghill
Written in 1938, it is somewhat out of date but oddly more accepting of reality and the discoveries of the past 2,000 years then other English scholastics like the ever popular C.S. Lewis.
I just got this from the library to reread Phaedo but enjoyed all of the editors comments and the forward.
Brian
There you have it! The justification for the great books program: for discussing great ideas. Let's face it, we humans don't know didly squat. And what we think we know is for the most part what we don't know. Always examine, always question, always seek virtue and truth.
Andrej Mrevlje
refreshing my student years reading. walking back to the future, love to be away from the presence. But careful its very important what translations do you choose to read. they are all different. and sure, unfortunately, i do not read classic greek.
Timothy Mallon
My first experience with ancient Greek philosophy. I greatly enjoyed reading each dialogue, and look forward to reading many more. It's like candy for my brain!
Onyango Makagutu
I don't agree with the idea of soul as expressed by Socrates or his conception of the cosmos but a good read all the same
Susi
Defesa de Sócrates aquando o julgamento que o levaria à morte.Foi acusado de pertubador,incitador ao pensamento.
Ken Badertscher
Jowett translation, Kindle edition by The Portable Library. Only a buck, and well worth it.
Ken Badertscher
Horrible public domain translation. Very hard to follow.
Yann
Certains passages sont magnifiques et émouvants.
Crystal Takacs
Crystal Takacs marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Cyril Vallée
Cyril Vallée marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Aristotle for Everybody
  • Paradis Sur Mesure
  • The United States Constitution
  • Socrates
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most important Western philosophers,...more
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo

“a life without investigation is not worth living” 32 likes
“virtue does not spring from riches, but riches and all other human blessings, both private and public, from virtue.” 13 likes