Start by marking “Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon” as Want to Read:
Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  498 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
L'Apologie de Socrate - compte rendu du procès en impiété intenté à Socrate en 399 av. J.-C. -, le Criton - présentation d'un entretien que le maître eut avec un de ses disciples qui avait tout préparé pour le faire évader peu avant son exécution -, le Phédon - analyse dramatique des derniers entretiens de Socrate avec ses amis, au moment même où il allait mourir -, ces tr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published December 15th 2008 by Folio (first published -399)

To ask other readers questions about Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apologie de Socrate / Criton / Phédon

Patrick Braga
The first two dialogues are worthwhile in considering the notion of citizenship, honesty, and virtue. The Phaedo, however, is insufferably tedious to read. While useful as a vocabulary-building tool, the argument that Socrates proposes rests entirely on barriers of linguistic binaries (such as contraries like “sleeping” and “waking,” “worse” and “better”), and frankly outdated notions of memory and perception. Because it presupposes too many assumptions to be worthwhile, I only found it slightly ...more
Kiran Kumili
Feb 02, 2014 Kiran Kumili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book of philosophy and trial of Socrates, the man considered to be the Father of World Philosophy. The book is written by Plato, one of the staunch devoted pupil of Socrates and prominent ancient philosopher. The book is nothing but the translation of three of Plato’s works namely, “The Apologia”, “The Crito” and “The Phaedo” all of which have reference to the trial, imprisonment and death of Socrates.
The first part represents the trial of Socrates in the court of law at Athe
David
Mar 15, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Plato's "Apology" and "Crito" are especially important texts for modern readers, given the current corruption of democracy and the revelations of states surveilling their own citizens. Plato's "Apology" recounts Socrates' trial on the charge that he corrupts the youth. He endeavours to persuade the court that the charges against him are false, but he's sentenced to death by the voice of the masses. "Crito" tells of Crito's pleading with Socrates to escape from Athens before he must die, ...more
José
Jul 06, 2013 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sócrates, para Cebes:
- Decerto compreenderias, penso eu, que, ao afirmares que um homem é maior ou mais pequeno por causa da cabeça, não terias de responder a um objector que te dissesse, antes de mais, que era pela mesma coisa que o maior é maior e o mais pequeno é mais pequeno e, depois, concluísse ser pela cabeça, que é pequena, que o maior é o maior, sendo prodigioso que um homem seja grande por causa de uma coisa pequena. Não recearias tais objecções?
- Sim - respondeu Cebes, rindo-se.
Ricardo
Dec 02, 2013 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro despertou o meu interesse por filosofia, tinha 17 anos quando li esta historia, na altura era uma versão muitíssimo resumida da Guimarães editores, 4 anos se passaram e afinal, existe outras versões bastante mais completas, grandes pormenores me escaparam na altura. Duvidas sobre a existência da alma de cada um são assuntos esclarecidos por Sócrates, por exemplo... É um livro absolutamente fabuloso, RECOMENDO !
Weathervane
Mar 12, 2014 Weathervane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's no wonder Socrates was so revered in his time: he's damnably clever; and the methodical way in which he reaches his conclusions are such fun to follow that even were you not to agree with him, as I often didn't, you couldn't help but wish you did. Sure, confident, unflagging in stoic persistence -- would anyone want to argue? You just want to listen.

Phaedo is probably the least relevant to modern readers. A belief in Greek mythology forms the basis of the men's speculation on death, so if S
Jenna
This book was an anecdote by Socrates friends before he was sentenced to death by drinking the poisonous hemlock. Socrates reflections upon his sentence which has been passed upon him, and as explicit to his belief that in going to his death he is only passing to a better happiness in life.

While the Crito......Socrates conversation with a friend named Crito who had been present on his trial, and upon his death. Crito offered to assists Socrates in paying fine, and ensuring his safety if he adopt
Drew
Mar 01, 2013 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, intellectual read. I didn't rate it higher because I didn't consider it enjoyable as much as I did intriguing. I think the biggest take-away is that logical reasoning is a great way to approach certain problems, but it can still lead to some very wrong conclusions if the line of reasoning doesn't begin with pure fact.

I'll accept Socrates' proof of the immortal soul, and his statement about absolute duty to one's country, but many of the other conclusions (description of the underworld,
Karin
Jan 17, 2016 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit it, I'm a philosophy geek, although I usually end up arguing with much of the books so don't read them often. Even if I disagreed with a lot, the writing is brilliant and there is a lot of food for thought.
heidi
Sep 01, 2015 heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To me 'Apology' and 'Crito' are readable (though I disagree with Socrates on several points, particularly on one's duties to society) but Phaedo is a huge mess.

The one ultimate lesson that I extract from these dialogues is: first make sure that your axioms and premises are correct before you build your arguments on them. Otherwise you're only compiling one muddled thought upon another, presenting the whole sequence as a valid argument when in fact it is assertion by obfuscation. Basically: GIGO
Ross Cohen
Nov 29, 2015 Ross Cohen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Less studied than "The Republic", these essays present Plato's Socrates at his best, showing admirable grace and courage under pressure.
Mohamed
never really got past the 100 , the book has alot of interesting ideas and ideals , just the way they are presented is too damn boring and repetitive , platos conversation method is really mono directional and that is really boring
Georgia Butler
Nov 01, 2012 Georgia Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems ridiculous to rate Plato's dialogues, especially since these three (Apology, Crito, and Phaedo) are our closest historical link to Socrates, the father of Western philosophy. I'm sure I tried reading these dialogues 30 years ago but didn't have the proper mindset. Coming to them now provided me enlightenment on too many levels to discuss, but I will note what most intrigued me: Plato's account of Socrates' arguments for the immortality of the soul, discussed with his cohorts during the ...more
Jeremy Egerer
Mar 20, 2013 Jeremy Egerer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plato has got to be one of the most noble lunatics who ever lived. I've never seen anyone look so good coming up with so many right conclusions in the most ridiculous, nonsensical ways possible -- and for that I love him. Not essential reading, by any means; but certainly worth reading simply to have read Plato.

The Apology and Crito were brilliant; Phaedo -- out of which I expected the most -- was half silly.
Carol Spears
Oct 22, 2013 Carol Spears rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stasha
Sep 27, 2011 Stasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this in college or high school but it's the recommended start for the great books 10 year classics reading program so I read it again. I was a nice reminder about the power of questions. Not to mention, the reminder that life should be examined on a regular basis. "The unexamined life is not worth living."
Bcoghill Coghill
Written in 1938, it is somewhat out of date but oddly more accepting of reality and the discoveries of the past 2,000 years then other English scholastics like the ever popular C.S. Lewis.
I just got this from the library to reread Phaedo but enjoyed all of the editors comments and the forward.
Damien
Nov 30, 2014 Damien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harvard-classics
Apology and Crito I got through quickly however Phaedo tripped me up and I had to spend an immense amount of time. Glad to have finally finished it. I am working through all of the Harvard Classics and I am proud of myself for making it through and finding understanding in this book.
Brian
Nov 19, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There you have it! The justification for the great books program: for discussing great ideas. Let's face it, we humans don't know didly squat. And what we think we know is for the most part what we don't know. Always examine, always question, always seek virtue and truth.
Andrej Mrevlje
Jul 14, 2013 Andrej Mrevlje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
refreshing my student years reading. walking back to the future, love to be away from the presence. But careful its very important what translations do you choose to read. they are all different. and sure, unfortunately, i do not read classic greek.
Pam
Mar 24, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-foot-shelf
Thought provoking!
April
Mar 01, 2015 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did it! Apology and Crito were interesting enough but Phaedo just kept going and going seemingly with no end. Feeling so relieved to be done! The soul being harmony thing piqued my mind in Phaedo. Worth re-reading that part.
Timothy Mallon
Jun 16, 2012 Timothy Mallon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first experience with ancient Greek philosophy. I greatly enjoyed reading each dialogue, and look forward to reading many more. It's like candy for my brain!
Onyango Makagutu
Nov 21, 2013 Onyango Makagutu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with the idea of soul as expressed by Socrates or his conception of the cosmos but a good read all the same
Susi
Aug 04, 2012 Susi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defesa de Sócrates aquando o julgamento que o levaria à morte.Foi acusado de pertubador,incitador ao pensamento.
Ken Badertscher
Apr 11, 2011 Ken Badertscher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Jowett translation, Kindle edition by The Portable Library. Only a buck, and well worth it.
Ken Badertscher
Apr 11, 2011 Ken Badertscher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Horrible public domain translation. Very hard to follow.
Yann
Jul 23, 2011 Yann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Certains passages sont magnifiques et émouvants.
Brian Clulow
Mar 04, 2011 Brian Clulow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn Sophists!
  • Homer and Classical Philology
  • The Symbolism Of Freemasonry
  • Theophrastus: Characters
  • Marx's Das Kapital: A Biography
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...

“a life without investigation is not worth living” 38 likes
“virtue does not spring from riches, but riches and all other human blessings, both private and public, from virtue.” 13 likes