Start by marking “Gold Mine” as Want to Read:
Gold Mine

Gold Mine

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,261 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Gold Mine by Wilbur Smith

North of Johannesburg, five companies share the Kitchenerville fields, furiously blasting and digging deep into the earth. For some men, gold mining is a way of life--and death. For some it's just a business. For one man, it's the most dangerous game of all...

Rod Ironsides makes love to his boss's wife and drives his miners faster and harder than a
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold Mine

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur SmithMonsoon by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
16th out of 34 books — 53 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Arabian Nights by AnonymousGoldfinger by Ian FlemingLe Comte de Monte-Cristo I by Alexandre Dumas
All that Glitters...
174th out of 180 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Noah Foster
Gold Mine, by Wilbur Smith. This book was really great to read. I found this book while looking around under my house, it was lying on the floor all dusty, i read the ''blurb'' at the back and thought it was quite interesting, i soon began to read it. This book is a brutal tale of chicanery, greed, love and violence. Its loaded like a gun full of bullets, which are jam-packed with action. The character i liked the most was Rod Ironsides (one of the main characters), for he is one of the more her ...more
Another great Wilbur Smith read, this. I'd seen the Roger Moore adaptation - GOLD - beforehand but to be honest it didn't bear too much of a relation to the novel.

First off this was the shortest Smith book I've yet to read, even shorter than his earlier DARK OF THE SUN. It literally picks up with a thrilling, horrifying situation and runs with it. There's liberal exposition in the story but the thing I find about this author is that he makes such exposition interesting and entertaining in itself
Lucas Rodriguez
Operación Oro" fue el quinto libro de Wilbur después de dos entregas de la primera saga Courtney y dos novelas aparte. Lamentablemente esta es una de sus novelas menos logradas; no digo que sea mala, al contrario tiene una trama bastante interesante pero que comienza a desarrollarse bastante tarde, y con la contra de que es el libro más corto que ha escrito en su carrera hasta ahora (ronda las 230 páginas). De ahí que toda la acción este condensada en la última parte y no se disfrute mucho de es ...more
Procyon Lotor
Fanfiction #2 Sudafrica, Sonder Ditch: una miniera d'oro di straordinaria ricchezza, crogiuolo di speranze, ambizioni, sofferenze e passioni. Manfred Steyner, che la possiede, la sfrutta selvaggiamente per le sue deliranti ambizioni di potere; i possenti e orgogliosi minatori bantu, che vi si calano silenziosi ogni giorno, ne attendono una promessa di riscatto; e Rod Ironsides, che ne conosce e rispetta ogni cunicolo e ogni segreto, la vuole trasformare in un inaudito sogno di libert... Il libro ...more
A typical Wilbur Smith thriller which one can read on a relaxing holiday. The world building here is not as good as his other works as the book is somewhat short.

But the unique plot of mining in the depths keep you at the edge of your seat right till the end.
A typical Wilbur Smith thriller but a little too gory for my liking although it certainly kept me entertained on a long drive down to Somerset.

Plenty of action throughout and well read by David Rintoul.
Number 4 on my Wilbur Smith pick list. The mining scenes long remained vivid.
Review for the abridged audiobook.

This didn't really grab me, possibly because it was reduced down to just 3CDs, possibly because I'm starting to think that a lot of character development is lost when thrillers are abridged. It just felt a bit sparse and the mining aspect wasn't of great interest to me. Dare I say that this may be more of a man's book!

Rodney Ironsides is the main character and his rise through the ranks of the Sonder Ditch gold mine is aided by his boss, Manfred Steyner, in retu
Read by David Rintoul

Description: Rod Ironsides, ambitious and hard-living mining expert, knows that the general managership of the Sonder Ditch gold mine is the chance of a lifetime. But the price of unquestioning obedience to the coldly obsessive genius of Dr Manfred Steyner proves impossible to pay.

A bald three star stocks and shares story. I will not be searching out Roger Moore's film 'Gold'.

4* River God (Ancient Egypt, #1)
5* The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2)
3* Warlock: A Novel of
Andy Plonka
While the technical aspects of gold mining were way beyond my ability to comprehend, the story line was general enough that I actually enjoyed the book. Beware if you are not a fan of blood and gore.
Sophie Reid mcglinn
This book is hilarious. Very of its time, lots of "benign" sexism, racism, homophobia...But despite all that it's a great story and I ended up quite liking it. I think 3 stars is fair.
Great and quick and fun read from Wilbur Smith - the master descriptor!
Not my favourite Wilber Smith book but a nice read anyway
Typical Wilbur Smith - an enjoyable pot-boiler! It's not great literature and in places the prose is excruciatingly bad, but he does write a good story. Rodney Ironsides is promoted to General manager of the Sonder Ditch gold mine and unwittingly becomes involved in the machinations of one of its board members who is trying to inflate the price of the company's shares by flooding the mine. A ripping yarn but in places reads like a mediocre GCSE essay.
Solo con Ci rivedremo all'inferno Smith ha toccato vette più basse che con questo romanzo. Ripetitivo nella trama (a me ricorda un po' Cacciatori di diamanti!) e poco coinvolgente.
I enjoyed this book a lot. Not only does it talk about the mining gold but also the difference between miners and owners
John Wheeles
As is true with all of Wilbur Smith's books, a very good read. Grabs your attention from the start and doesn't let go.
This was a good thriller but... the few of his books that I've read seem to have a "cookie-cutter" aspect to them.
Katie Grainger
I think this is one of my favorite Wilbur Smith book simple and lovely story!!!
Enjoy my weekend reading this.
Better than I remembered!
Loved the book and the movie!
Gerold Whittaker
Excellent book.
Oliver added it
Oct 01, 2015
  • Bloodstained Kings
  • The Early Asimov Volume 3 (Panther Science Fiction)
  • Out of the Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Land Of Fire
  • The Cat Owner's Manual
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • L'isola dei morti
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • Zero
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Tornatrás
  • The Viceroys
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Last Nazi
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)

“You’re too old for this type of living,’ he told” 1 likes