Start by marking “Gold Mine” as Want to Read:
Gold Mine

Gold Mine

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,617 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Gold Mine by Wilbur Smith

North of Johannesburg, five companies share the Kitchenerville fields, furiously blasting and digging deep into the earth. For some men, gold mining is a way of life--and death. For some it's just a business. For one man, it's the most dangerous game of all...

Rod Ironsides makes love to his boss's wife and drives his miners faster and harder than a
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold Mine

Bettie☯
Read by David Rintoul

Description: Rod Ironsides, ambitious and hard-living mining expert, knows that the general managership of the Sonder Ditch gold mine is the chance of a lifetime. But the price of unquestioning obedience to the coldly obsessive genius of Dr Manfred Steyner proves impossible to pay.

A bald three star stocks and shares story. I will not be searching out Roger Moore's film 'Gold'.

4* River God (Ancient Egypt, #1)
5* The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2)
3* Warlock: A Novel of
Noah Foster
Aug 24, 2013 Noah Foster rated it it was amazing
Gold Mine, by Wilbur Smith. This book was really great to read. I found this book while looking around under my house, it was lying on the floor all dusty, i read the ''blurb'' at the back and thought it was quite interesting, i soon began to read it. This book is a brutal tale of chicanery, greed, love and violence. Its loaded like a gun full of bullets, which are jam-packed with action. The character i liked the most was Rod Ironsides (one of the main characters), for he is one of the more her ...more
Graham
Jul 20, 2010 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, africa
Another great Wilbur Smith read, this. I'd seen the Roger Moore adaptation - GOLD - beforehand but to be honest it didn't bear too much of a relation to the novel.

First off this was the shortest Smith book I've yet to read, even shorter than his earlier DARK OF THE SUN. It literally picks up with a thrilling, horrifying situation and runs with it. There's liberal exposition in the story but the thing I find about this author is that he makes such exposition interesting and entertaining in itself
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2017 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Wibur Smith is an entertaining author. I learn a bit about the area he writes about or I learn some history about the area or the people. He develops characters I develop intense feelings for - rooting for abused women, despising arrogant people who mistreat others or who flaunt safety rules or laws. Anything he writes I will read. He has never disappointed and Gold Mine is n exception.
Thomas Strömquist
A Wilbur Smith thriller. Straightforward narrative, suspense and hard men. If you know what you're going to get going in, it's entertaining. Mind the age of this thing, though and the occurrences of prejudice and bigotry. Was made into (changed into) a Roger Moore-movie that I seem to have forgotten most about, but I'm pretty sure wasn't a faithful adaption.
Gerry
May 17, 2010 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Wilbur Smith thriller but a little too gory for my liking although it certainly kept me entertained on a long drive down to Somerset.

Plenty of action throughout and well read by David Rintoul.
Veeral
Nov 16, 2011 Veeral rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
A typical Wilbur Smith thriller which one can read on a relaxing holiday. The world building here is not as good as his other works as the book is somewhat short.

But the unique plot of mining in the depths keep you at the edge of your seat right till the end.
Lynne Pennington
Sep 22, 2016 Lynne Pennington rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
OK--Rod Ironsides? Seriously?! However, keep in mind the year of this book and what life was like in the 60's and early 70's. Smith always produces a good read, though this one is more of a "period piece" now. Still a rush and a train wreck (so to speak) and you will most likely keep reading to see what happens, even though you know what happens. Reminds me of the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt books except in a South African gold mine instead of underwater. Lots of technical detail that went over my h ...more
DubaiReader
Review for the abridged audiobook.

This didn't really grab me, possibly because it was reduced down to just 3CDs, possibly because I'm starting to think that a lot of character development is lost when thrillers are abridged. It just felt a bit sparse and the mining aspect wasn't of great interest to me. Dare I say that this may be more of a man's book!

Rodney Ironsides is the main character and his rise through the ranks of the Sonder Ditch gold mine is aided by his boss, Manfred Steyner, in retu
Procyon Lotor
Jan 27, 2014 Procyon Lotor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-avventura
Fanfiction #2 Sudafrica, Sonder Ditch: una miniera d'oro di straordinaria ricchezza, crogiuolo di speranze, ambizioni, sofferenze e passioni. Manfred Steyner, che la possiede, la sfrutta selvaggiamente per le sue deliranti ambizioni di potere; i possenti e orgogliosi minatori bantu, che vi si calano silenziosi ogni giorno, ne attendono una promessa di riscatto; e Rod Ironsides, che ne conosce e rispetta ogni cunicolo e ogni segreto, la vuole trasformare in un inaudito sogno di libert�... Il libr ...more
Lucas Rodriguez
Operación Oro" fue el quinto libro de Wilbur después de dos entregas de la primera saga Courtney y dos novelas aparte. Lamentablemente esta es una de sus novelas menos logradas; no digo que sea mala, al contrario tiene una trama bastante interesante pero que comienza a desarrollarse bastante tarde, y con la contra de que es el libro más corto que ha escrito en su carrera hasta ahora (ronda las 230 páginas). De ahí que toda la acción este condensada en la última parte y no se disfrute mucho de es ...more
Sieglinde
Apr 20, 2016 Sieglinde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding at his job but without the academic qualifications that would allow him to rise to the position of General Manager at Sonder Ditch gold mine, Rod Ironsides does get the promotion following the death, in a mining accident, of the man who held that role, but only at the insistence of Dr Manfred Steyner, who is related to the owner through marriage. In receiving the offer he is told that it comes with the condition that he follow orders regardless of what he may think of them. Soon it b ...more
Geoff
Nov 19, 2011 Geoff rated it liked it
Typical Wilbur Smith - an enjoyable pot-boiler! It's not great literature and in places the prose is excruciatingly bad, but he does write a good story. Rodney Ironsides is promoted to General manager of the Sonder Ditch gold mine and unwittingly becomes involved in the machinations of one of its board members who is trying to inflate the price of the company's shares by flooding the mine. A ripping yarn but in places reads like a mediocre GCSE essay.
Rupert Matthews
Jan 06, 2017 Rupert Matthews rated it liked it
A pretty good thriller in the course of which the reader learns lots about how the gold mining business works in South Africa. The characters were well drawn and their motivations make sense. Some interesting twists and turns along the way to the outcome. Overall pretty good if undemanding adventure story.
Loyd Mcintosh
Apr 06, 2014 Loyd Mcintosh rated it it was amazing
I wandered across the movie based on this book from 1974 with Roger Moore on Amazon a couple of years ago. I loved the movie and decided to check out the book afterwards and just loved it as well. Set in a gold mining community in 1970s South Africa, this novel is gritty, complex, and and seriously engrossing. You don't hear this very much, but you have to read this book AND see the movie.
Katie Grainger
Jul 22, 2011 Katie Grainger rated it liked it
I think this is one of my favorite Wilbur Smith book simple and lovely story!!!
Abkusa
Sep 14, 2008 Abkusa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. Not only does it talk about the mining gold but also the difference between miners and owners
Steve
Feb 10, 2016 Steve rated it liked it
Cousin Larry suggested Wilbur Smith to me at our last Cousin's Club. Gold Mine was good but seemed dated. I will keep trying out Wilbur Smith stories.
Lisa
Aug 14, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Not my favourite Wilber Smith book but a nice read anyway
Stuart
May 16, 2007 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I remembered!
John Wheeles
Mar 07, 2011 John Wheeles rated it it was amazing
As is true with all of Wilbur Smith's books, a very good read. Grabs your attention from the start and doesn't let go.
Willem Van Kalsbeek
Jan 01, 2016 Willem Van Kalsbeek rated it really liked it
Alle elementen van een typisch Wilbur Smith boek zijn aanwezig. Spanning, romantiek en Afriak
Dries
Feb 17, 2015 Dries rated it really liked it
Great and quick and fun read from Wilbur Smith - the master descriptor!
Manuela
Nov 25, 2010 Manuela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avventura, spy-story
Solo con Ci rivedremo all'inferno Smith ha toccato vette più basse che con questo romanzo. Ripetitivo nella trama (a me ricorda un po' Cacciatori di diamanti!) e poco coinvolgente.
Melanie
Mar 04, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
Loved the book and the movie!
Thomas West
Jan 23, 2016 Thomas West rated it it was ok
"R" has read this
Gerold Whittaker
Excellent book.
Carol
Jan 11, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
This was a good thriller but... the few of his books that I've read seem to have a "cookie-cutter" aspect to them.
Sophie Reid mcglinn
May 13, 2015 Sophie Reid mcglinn rated it liked it
This book is hilarious. Very of its time, lots of "benign" sexism, racism, homophobia...But despite all that it's a great story and I ended up quite liking it. I think 3 stars is fair.
Andy Plonka
Jun 20, 2015 Andy Plonka rated it liked it
Shelves: src
While the technical aspects of gold mining were way beyond my ability to comprehend, the story line was general enough that I actually enjoyed the book. Beware if you are not a fan of blood and gore.
  • Bloodstained Kings
  • Hatred in the Ashes (Ashes, #27)
  • The Early Asimov Volume 3 (Panther Science Fiction)
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • Zero Option (Geordie Sharp, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)
  • L'isola dei morti
  • Black Heart
  • Why?
  • L'incredibile storia di Lavinia
  • The Violent Enemy
  • Il sangue dei vinti
  • The Mountain of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure: Two Great Adventures
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

“You’re too old for this type of living,’ he told” 1 likes