Start by marking “Shout at the Devil” as Want to Read:
Shout at the Devil

Shout at the Devil

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,059 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Wilbur Smith's adventure tales are big, bold and unforgettable. In SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, the New York Times bestselling master storyteller takes us to a brutal paradise engulfed in the fires of civilization's war...

A MAN ON HIS OWN
They couldn't be anymore different: an earnest young Englishman named Sebastian Oldsmith and an Irish American adventurer named Flynn O'Flynn who
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published August 29th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Shout at the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout at the Devil

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur SmithMonsoon by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
19th out of 35 books — 60 voters
The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie SmithChild 44 by Tom Rob SmithThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithGorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith
Smith is so popular!
109th out of 139 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Daavid

A historical fiction based on a real event at the time of the onset of the First World War. The story takes place in German East Africa, of what is now modern-day Tanzania, along the River Rufiji and its delta, and on both sides of the river, the Northern (German) and the Southern (Portuguese), the latter of which are allied with the British during the war itself.

Part One (4-stars) of the book deals with events prior to the war. I loved this part a lot. Includes a lot of African adventu
Graham
Apr 21, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war, thriller, africa
Shout at the Devil is my second Wilbur Smith read after Eagle in the Sky and an early outing for the author. Surprise, surprise, it’s an expertly written action-adventure yarn set in Africa, in which the sights and sounds of the fetid, boggy terrain are brought to life with sweeps of the great author’s pen. Really, nobody writes like Smith; his detailed descriptions of Africa and its land, wildlife and peoples have a ring of authenticity to them that other authors miss, and at the same time he c ...more
Adam
Feb 23, 2015 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
This adventure story is set mainly in German East Africa and Portuguese East Africa before and during WW1. It is a tale of revenge.

The first half of the book, which is almost comical at times, is not as good or exciting as the second half, but it is essential to understanding the latter part of th tale. As usual, Wilbur Smith writes passages that are so exciting that one cannot read fast enough to see what will happen next.

The main characters are mostly credibly portrayed. Somehow, I did not en
Lindsay
Not a bad read if you ignore the elephant killing and the eating of dolphins with gills (excellent research there). The characters don't have a huge amount of depth but it kept me entertained. My favorite line was, "...the kidneys popped like overripe satsuma plums."
David Lucero
Oct 12, 2012 David Lucero rated it really liked it
This book was written by Wilbur Smith in 1968 and still is a classic. I say this because the way writers pen novels has in fact changed. Smith's characters are vivid, real, and passionate. The scenes and life in Africa before the 1st World War are explained in detail and I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy classics.
Stuart
May 11, 2008 Stuart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corto
Sep 24, 2015 Corto rated it really liked it
What can I say. This was pure, pot-boiling, page-turning, 100% pulse-quickening, pulp. Great story. Fantastic characters. If this novel wasn't written with Lee Marvin in mind as one of the protagonists, I'd be surprised- and on that note- the ending is different than the film. Very satisfying read. Looking forward to reading more Wilbur Smith.
Veeral
Jul 20, 2014 Veeral rated it liked it
In my opinion, Wilbur Smith is one of the top 3 contemporary authors who writes about Africa.

This was not that good though. Read his historical fiction River God or its sequel (sort of, set 4000 years apart) The Seventh Scroll instead. Pure enjoyment.
Joe
Jul 24, 2009 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 1st novel by Wilbur Smith, not a bad read with some funny moments set during the 1st World war in East Africa. One of his early novels and I enjoyed enough to be tempted in the future by some of his other works. An enjoyable old fashioned adventure story, 3.5 stars for me.
James A
Jun 12, 2016 James A rated it liked it
Shelves:
Though the book is certainly well-written, and with some interesting characters, I found the plot very linear. There were also one or two segments where we were introduced to so many new characters/situations that I felt I'd stumbled into a completely different book by mistake.

There are some wonderful comic touches/observations, and the author's descriptions of animals/jungle life/sea battles etc is first rate. That said, I found at least two of the 'heroes' genuinely unlikeable and the book me
Muneeb
Feb 26, 2011 Muneeb rated it it was ok
Good book but but got corny by the time I reached the middle -_-
Greg Riveau
Jun 01, 2016 Greg Riveau rated it liked it
A bit dated now but this is still a good action thriller. Some stodgy sections with some gratuitous violence, but all in all an exciting read. He sure knows how to do thrillers. The politics of it worries me. Maybe it's because it's a product of its times but there is a bit of white man's mission about it. Anyway, the elephant kill is a gorily exciting rampage and there are some spectacular scenes. I haven't seen the movie but this was a fair enough read.
Michele Beltrame
Jun 21, 2016 Michele Beltrame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno dei romanzi più vecchi di Wilbur Smith, ha uno stile diverso dai grandi capolavori che ha scritto in seguito. Si tratta però di una lettura fresca, dinamica, e comunque caratterizzata dalla consueta attività di ricerca di Smith sia storica che scientifica (vedi ad esempio la lotta con il coccodrillo). Da leggere.
Lis
Jan 04, 2016 Lis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Un libro diverso dai soliti di Smith. Il protagonista non è un supereroe e per questo risulta simpatico. Ma il romanzo non è particolarmente avvincente nè mi sembra particolarmente riuscito.
Da leggere quando non si cerca nulla di impegnativo.
Tim Roast
Mar 06, 2012 Tim Roast rated it it was amazing
Having read lots of Wilbur Smith's books this one stands out as being different. It is split into two parts. Part 1 is set before WWI and focuses on one man, Flynn O'Flynn, who lives just outside German East Africa and his comical raids into Germany. Early in the book he meets an Englishman and their repetoire is very funny. I can see why this was made into a film (according to other reviews) as the dialogue is very good. Then WWI starts and the Germans advance beyond their borders for revenge. ...more
Ray Kelly
Mar 11, 2015 Ray Kelly rated it really liked it
This was my first Wilbur Smith story and it will not be my last as he is an exciting story teller. All his stories are bold and unforgettable. Shout At The Devil is a terrific adventure novel set in east Africa during the early days of the Great War. The main character is a drunk, selfish, hot-tempered Irish American elephant hunter called O'Flynn who while living in Mozambique, crosses paths with the ruthless Askari in German Tanzania. This precipitates a deadly conflict between the two sides a ...more
Marianne
May 21, 2016 Marianne rated it really liked it
Smith never disappoints. This book has a lot about Africa, as usual, but this one takes place during WW I, and is not -to my knowledge[- part of a series.
Swashbuckling characters, dastardly characters, lots of slicing and dicing. The ending was very sad, and I was hoping it wouldn't end that way, but, really, there was not other way for victory and the good guys to look good.
Sol Reader
A wonderful book by a master story teller. Based on activities in German East Africa centred on the characters
of a fat but viscious German Officer and his Askari troops and a drunkan English poacher fascinating characters and. plots involving A German Battle Cruiser tax collection romance and iivory poaching.
Matthew Catania
Jun 21, 2015 Matthew Catania rated it it was amazing
Shout At The Devil does an excellent job shifting gears naturally from comedy to action to tragedy.
Karunakaran N.
Shout At The Devil by Wilbur Smith... Historical fiction around the beginning of 1900's when war at sea was predominant. The story line is around the German Vessel "Blucher" battering British war ships as well as getting itself battered. The first half runs through the age old ivory poaching and the wedlock of Sebastian with Rosa depicting the jungles of Africa. The second half goes deeper into the war at the seas, climaxing at the destruction of the "Blucher" before it could sail out to conquer ...more
Riki Strydom
Jul 09, 2014 Riki Strydom rated it it was ok
Shelves: african-fiction
Really not one of my favourite Wilbur Smith books, partly because of the ending. Still a goodish African novel.
Wendy Bertsch
Jun 08, 2012 Wendy Bertsch rated it really liked it
While this book is never likely to be counted among the classics, I don't really think the author meant it to be. The violence aside, I think he intended it as an amusing piece of fluff in the adventure genre, and that is certainly is.

He has presented a colourful, overblown group of characters with little complexity, playing out an unlikely sequence of events in an exotic setting, well described. And it works. That can't be an accident.

There's little depth here--in fact it stops just short of f
David Hurst
Jan 16, 2015 David Hurst rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, africa
Ripping yarn. Although not one of his best none-the-less enjoyable
David Douglas
Jan 03, 2015 David Douglas rated it really liked it
1st WS novel. Very readable 1st WW drama.
Russell
Jan 17, 2016 Russell rated it liked it
the ship blows up and they all die
Thomas West
Jan 23, 2016 Thomas West rated it it was ok
Shelves: africa
"R" has read this
Shahrun
Sep 26, 2011 Shahrun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few Wilbur Smith books in recent months. Even tho I enjoy them, I thought perhaps I was overdosing on them - until reading this one. Yet again Mr Smith has managed to (pleasantly) surprise me and I really enjoyed the journey of reading this book. As always there is action, adventure, romance, death (in all it's graffic and gory detail) and Africa! I think this is one of his fairly early works and noted that he recycled some of the ideas in Blue Horizon. Still, on to the next ...more
Rick Brindle
Apr 17, 2013 Rick Brindle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of my favourite Wilbur Smith books. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, the characters are brilliantly created, and spring to life from the pages. Sebastian and Flynn work brilliantly together, with just the right mix of humour and action. The usual excellent setting of scene by Smith also makes you think you are there, and the odd touches of tragedy make it seem very real as well.
Renzo
Dec 13, 2014 Renzo rated it really liked it
Read in Italian "Ci rivedremo all'inferno"
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 3 9 Aug 08, 2014 07:05AM
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • Pacific
  • Wind in the Ashes (Ashes, #6)
  • The Impossible Virgin (Modesty Blaise #5)
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • Sharpe's Fury (Sharpe, #11)
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • The Last Raider
  • Shan (China Maroc, #2)
  • Running Blind
  • The Blue Ice
  • Funeral in Berlin
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...