Start by marking “Shout at the Devil” as Want to Read:
Shout at the Devil

Shout at the Devil

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,164 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Wilbur Smith's adventure tales are big, bold and unforgettable. In SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, the New York Times bestselling master storyteller takes us to a brutal paradise engulfed in the fires of civilization's war...

A MAN ON HIS OWN
They couldn't be anymore different: an earnest young Englishman named Sebastian Oldsmith and an Irish American adventurer named Flynn O'Flynn who
Published August 29th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Shout at the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout at the Devil

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur SmithPower of the Sword by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
31st out of 33 books — 42 voters
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica Roth
The Worst Things You Have Read
59th out of 67 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Graham
Shout at the Devil is my second Wilbur Smith read after Eagle in the Sky and an early outing for the author. Surprise, surprise, it’s an expertly written action-adventure yarn set in Africa, in which the sights and sounds of the fetid, boggy terrain are brought to life with sweeps of the great author’s pen. Really, nobody writes like Smith; his detailed descriptions of Africa and its land, wildlife and peoples have a ring of authenticity to them that other authors miss, and at the same time he c ...more
Lindsay
Not a bad read if you ignore the elephant killing and the eating of dolphins with gills (excellent research there). The characters don't have a huge amount of depth but it kept me entertained. My favorite line was, "...the kidneys popped like overripe satsuma plums."
Veeral
In my opinion, Wilbur Smith is one of the top 3 contemporary authors who writes about Africa.

This was not that good though. Read his historical fiction River God or its sequel (sort of, set 4000 years apart) The Seventh Scroll instead. Pure enjoyment.
David Lucero
This book was written by Wilbur Smith in 1968 and still is a classic. I say this because the way writers pen novels has in fact changed. Smith's characters are vivid, real, and passionate. The scenes and life in Africa before the 1st World War are explained in detail and I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy classics.
Stuart
Joe
My 1st novel by Wilbur Smith, not a bad read with some funny moments set during the 1st World war in East Africa. One of his early novels and I enjoyed enough to be tempted in the future by some of his other works. An enjoyable old fashioned adventure story, 3.5 stars for me.
Muneeb
Good book but but got corny by the time I reached the middle -_-
Karunakaran N.
Shout At The Devil by Wilbur Smith... Historical fiction around the beginning of 1900's when war at sea was predominant. The story line is around the German Vessel "Blucher" battering British war ships as well as getting itself battered. The first half runs through the age old ivory poaching and the wedlock of Sebastian with Rosa depicting the jungles of Africa. The second half goes deeper into the war at the seas, climaxing at the destruction of the "Blucher" before it could sail out to conquer ...more
Tim Roast
Having read lots of Wilbur Smith's books this one stands out as being different. It is split into two parts. Part 1 is set before WWI and focuses on one man, Flynn O'Flynn, who lives just outside German East Africa and his comical raids into Germany. Early in the book he meets an Englishman and their repetoire is very funny. I can see why this was made into a film (according to other reviews) as the dialogue is very good. Then WWI starts and the Germans advance beyond their borders for revenge. ...more
Riki Strydom
Really not one of my favourite Wilbur Smith books, partly because of the ending. Still a goodish African novel.
Wendy Bertsch
While this book is never likely to be counted among the classics, I don't really think the author meant it to be. The violence aside, I think he intended it as an amusing piece of fluff in the adventure genre, and that is certainly is.

He has presented a colourful, overblown group of characters with little complexity, playing out an unlikely sequence of events in an exotic setting, well described. And it works. That can't be an accident.

There's little depth here--in fact it stops just short of f
Shahrun
I have read quite a few Wilbur Smith books in recent months. Even tho I enjoy them, I thought perhaps I was overdosing on them - until reading this one. Yet again Mr Smith has managed to (pleasantly) surprise me and I really enjoyed the journey of reading this book. As always there is action, adventure, romance, death (in all it's graffic and gory detail) and Africa! I think this is one of his fairly early works and noted that he recycled some of the ideas in Blue Horizon. Still, on to the next ...more
Rick Brindle
This is one of my favourite Wilbur Smith books. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, the characters are brilliantly created, and spring to life from the pages. Sebastian and Flynn work brilliantly together, with just the right mix of humour and action. The usual excellent setting of scene by Smith also makes you think you are there, and the odd touches of tragedy make it seem very real as well.
Robert Grant
Very good book. This is the first time I have read anything by Wilbur Smith-I will be reading alot more of his work. Kind of a mish mash book-comical and filled with drama and high adventure. Thoroughly enjoyed this one and would recommend it very highly.
Raegan Butcher
Excellent adventure tale. Starts out quite light and rollicking--almost like a Harry Flashman story--and then turns very dark and tragic by the time the climax arrives.
I was very entertained and kept turning the pages to see what would happen next.
Manuela
Il romanzo di Smith che mi ha deluso di più. Personaggi e storie non particolarmente coinvolgenti e soprattutto un finale non degno di Smith, seppure sia una novità per lui, ma secondo me doveva essere affrontato in maniera migliore.
Liz Proulx
This was a departure for Wilbur Smith. I found this book to be quite funny in parts and the characters were entertaining! The ending of the book was so sad! I thoroughly enjoyed this book- I love this author!
Steve
Oct 14, 2012 Steve added it
Wonderful book. I have read a few other by this author and his descriptive writing just puts the scenes into your head so you can see what is going on. Love that!
Mark Damaroyd
Mr Smith brought such amazing realism and atmosphere to this story set in World War 1. The movie managed to recreate much, complimenting this remarkable novel.
Al

Good stuff. Smith typically takes you back in time and to distant shores, to like and loathe different characters.
Penny
Another great yarn of war and love from Smith. Although not earth-shattering, a very good read.
Kaustubh Dudhane
A very good book with a different climax. Flynn O'Flynn is an awesome character!
Mike Stewart
Very surprising and saddening ending! Very funny main characters O,Flynn and Sebastien.
Peter
Brillant Smith has captivate me again in this book.
Gerold Whittaker
Excellent book.
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate book cover 3 8 Aug 08, 2014 07:05AM
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • Pacific
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Running Blind
  • Anarchy in the Ashes (Ashes, #3)
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • The Dogs of War
  • Firefox (Mitchell Gant, #1)
  • Sharpe's Fury (Sharpe, #11)
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • The Stone Leopard
  • The Miko (Nicholas Linnear, #2)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)