Start by marking “The Angels Weep (The Ballantyne Novels, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Angels Weep (The Ballantyne Novels, #3)

The Angels Weep (Ballantyne #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,573 ratings  ·  44 reviews
On a continent of breathtaking beauty and bitter suffering, two vastly different cultures clashed, mingled, and recoiled. Here, amidst mist-shrouded mountains and gold-studded plateaus, ancient tribesmen lived close to the earth, as white men dug fortunes out from beneath them and laid plans for a new civilization.

Out of Southern Africa the enigmatic Cecil Rhodes built an
Published November 28th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Angels Weep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angels Weep

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur SmithPower of the Sword by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
18th out of 34 books — 47 voters
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi DangarembgaThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Grass Is Singing by Doris LessingWhen a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Peter GodwinTears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith
History through Novels: Southern Africa
18th out of 39 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Rishi Prakash
Exhilarating is the word which comes to my mind after reading this book..Wilbur Smith takes the Ballantyne series further with this third book. In his historically accurate style, Smith chronicles the transformation of Rhodesia into Zimbabwe.This book definitely makes you understand why Zimbabwe got into severe problem 4 years back when the locals started taking everything in their own hand by force...Smith rips your heart out one minute and makes it soars the next. A must read for someone who w ...more
Sittonbull
Well... You might say I'm hooked on Wilbur Smith. In his historically accurate style, Smith chronicles the transformation of Rhodesia into Zimbabwe. He rips your heart out one minute and makes it soars the next. Having a friend, "Spook" displaced from his land when MuGabe came in power and previously knowing something of his story made this book hard to put down... and even more sad for his loss.
Nahuel
El libro consta de dos partes, muy distintas una de otra.

La primer parte sigue la saga, no muy lejos de donde culminó el anterior libro, y los protagonistas son los mismos. La historia narra de forma muy descriptiva y atrapante la guerra entre los matabele y los ingleses, y las peleas por el poder de Ralph con Rhodes. Los sucesos se encuentran excelemente interconectados, donde todo vale. En un lugar, donde las leyes parecen no aplicar, y, en especial, en la guerra, donde los civiles no existen.
Nerissa
It takes a while to get into this book, but it's worth persisting. When the story unravels its great.
Kimberley
Awesome!! Definitely one of my favourites.
Naomi
The life of the Balantyne family continues in the land of Rhodesia which later becomes Zimbabwe. This is an exciting tale of the land they consider their own while becoming more associated with Cecil Rhodes and his dream of building an empire on the diamond mines. They become more entangled with his ambitions as they attempt to amass their own fortunes. Another great story of Africa and its native people are intertwined in these efforts as they attempt to reclaim the land in which they have live ...more
Graham
What a way to end the year! This is an absolutely blistering read and, I would say, the best Wilbur Smith novel I've read yet, and I've already encountered plenty of exceptional books from this author. THE ANGELS WEEP is the third in the Ballantyne series, following on from A FALCON FLIES and MEN OF MEN, and it truly is a fascinating experience.

The story picks up right from where we left off in MEN OF MEN as the various characters of the Ballantyne family (and friends) continue their colonisatio
Rita
I enjoyed learning so much of the history of colonial Africa; it has always been a continent of spellbinding majesty marred by greed motivated misery. Smith described the cultural differences with keen discernment and thereby nearly evoked a **** rating. I could have even persisted in this direction despite the excessive violence. But then I realized, with a slap to my forehead, the author considered it necessary to repeatedly portray misogyny too well! Bye, bye, Wilbur!
Elaine
A history of Rhodesia to Zimbabwe. Brutal, violent and bloody.

Rinderpest--An acute, highly contagious viral disease of ruminant animals, primarily cattle, that was once common in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and the Middle East. In 1895 the Cape Buffalo herds werenearly wiped out by this disese in Africa.

Blackwater fever--One of the less common yet most dangerous complications of malaria,characterized by the passage of bloody, dark red or black urine.

Cecil Rhodes- (5 July 1853 – 26 March 19
Werehare
2/10

Avrei voluto dare una stella e mezza, ma dovendo decidere tra una o due ho deciso di arrotondare per difetto. Un romanzo che si sente molto affascinante, quando invece un po' di autoironia non gli avrebbe fatto male. La concezione delle donne è degradante dalla prima all'ultima pagina, il che è in parte coerente con l'ambientazione ma comunque non è piacevole da leggere per qualche centinaio di pagine di seguito: tutte le donne sono o vittime da vendicare o streghe tentatrici. Tutti gli eroi
Michael
Not WS's best. Though I learned a lot about the colonial history of Africa from this book. Especially the rise of Cecil Rhodes. No wonder that place is such a mess. The book is centered in Rhodesia, which is now Zimbabwe... This one made almost no sense as a story. Among the many confusing turns was a sudden skip 70 years into the future. I know WS is from there. I looked at the front and figured out that he wrote this a few years after the Africans took over again. So I suppose this might be a ...more
Mark Edlund
History series
I am still not sure if Smith is a racist troglodyte, a sexist pig or a man who just loves Africa so much that he glosses over the continent's warts. A great adventure and the third following the Ballantyne family. I did not like how he bounced from 1885 to 1977 and reviewed all his great characters' lives in four or five pages. Gruesome violence in a gruesome time for South Africa and Rhodesia's history.
One Canadian reference - Cecil Rhodes talks about setting up his Rhodes scholar
Lisa
Loved this book. The sweeping saga of the Ballantyne family continued with agility and rich story telling, evoking a time and place with dramatic aplomb. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the sudden and very unexpected change from 1896 to 1977 which made me feel like the rug had been pulled from under my feet. For me that dragged the rating down by one star. It was very unsettling to suddenly loose the characters one had come to enjoy over the course of 3 books and have to learn a whole new ...more
Lisa
Not his best story. I was able to put this one down several times and even read another "can't put it down" Wilbur Smith novel before finishing this one. This one took over a year to finish.
The writing seemed choppy at times and jumped often. An example sentence would end with a character leaving for work. The next sentence they were returning from work at the end of a day. The first part seemed to end abruptly leaving to me wonder what happened Some of it was revealed in the 2nd part (future g
Natalie
Awesome, awesome, awesome!
Paula
Oct 18, 2012 Paula rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Paula by: My dad
The Angels Weep was the first of Wilbur Smith's books I ever read, and I was immediately hooked. While you are reading his books, you see what his characters see, feel what they feel, experience their experiences. He weaves a web of intricate plots and when the story is over, you're disappointed unless the sequel is handy. Each read is satisfying, exciting - in short, just the best kind of story-telling.

Pam Ela
Based on the white history of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). I like the Courtney novels better
Gerhard
Another great read from Mr. Smith. A sad part of the history of Southern Africa and how it was colonised and the struggle between the colonials and the locals. The brutality of it is very real and just another indication of how man uses and abuses his fellow human beings to further his own greed...as I say, great read but sometimes sad reflection on human kind with the truths that come out.
Henri
I have not read a Wilbur Smith book in some time, and when I took up this one, the pages just turned. I have enjoyed it tremendously, I was however a bit disappointed, I wanted to continue following Ralph, and when Part two started I was not very happy. However there was an explanation as to what happened to all the characters, I still wanted to know more.
Pawan Gadia
A book which changed my destiny. I read this book when i was 17 at avery impressionable age and there was not much joy going around in my life. When i saw Ralph ballantyne rising to being the prime minister, i believed anything is possible..
Stuart
Another two-part book starting with the 'creation' of Rhodesia in late 19th century and then jumping onto late 1970's and the end of white rule in the new Zimbabwe. Stll horrifies me when you read of attrocities committed by both sides in both eras.
Alexander Kennedy
This was a very good book, but it is really two books combined into one. My only complaint was that I wished we would have gotten more about the life of Ralph. Once again, you can't really go wrong with Wilbur Smith.
☯Bettie☯
Imported from tablet:

Ballantyne Angels Weep
Finished 8/5/2012

3.5*

Dropped star value when Part One stopped at the death of that bastard Rhodes, and Part Two started out 1977, introducing us to events surrounding the fall of Rhodesia and the Ballantyne Grandchildren's shenanigans.

Read By: Jon Cartwright

Duration: 22:15

Description: An exciting story of action, adventure and romance. Set in Rhodesia the novel's characters, both black and white, play out their parts in a turmoil of action during whi
Alayne
Yep, I enjoyed this book and it was nice to see the White men get stomped on by the native black africans for a change. Served them right for everything they did wrong in the past.
Pauline
This book was okay. I didn't like it as much as other books by Wilbur Smith, but it was a good action/adventure book and I did learn a lot about the impact gold mining had on Africa.
Olof
The two parts have to little with each other to do. And considering how very good the two previous books were, I had quite high expectations. The story wasn't focused enough.
Brett Sorge
This was not the best Smith book which I usually enjoy. The book is as always well written, but the story itself I found wanting. Especially since it was 660 pages long.
Pen Mate

My very first Wilbur Smith. A master piece that got me addicted to such a prolific writer.
Heather Tisdale
This was probably one of Smith's worst books. I was entertained, but it was choppy and awkwardly written.
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Blood-Stained Kings
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)
  • Trilogia del ritorno: L'amico ritrovato; Un'anima non vile; Niente resurrezioni, per favore
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • Whitethorn
  • Macno
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, #2)
  • The Bride Of The Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • La cognizione del dolore
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3)
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Caro Michele
  • The Early Asimov Volume 3 (Panther Science Fiction)
  • Second Contact (Colonization, #1)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

Ballantyne (5 books)
  • A Falcon Flies (The Ballantyne Novels, #1)
  • Men of Men (The Ballantyne Novels, #2)
  • The Leopard Hunts in Darkness (The Ballantyne Novels, #4)
  • The Triumph of the Sun
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)