Start by marking “The Sign on Rosie's Door” as Want to Read:
The Sign on Rosie's Door

The Sign on Rosie's Door

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  21 reviews
There was a sign on Rosie's door that said, "If you want to know a secret, knock three times." Kathy, Rosie's good friend, knocked three times and learned the secret-that Rosie was no longer Rosie, but Alinda, the lovely lady singer.

Adventures with Alinda were fun for Kathy and Sal and Pudgy and Dolly. Even Lenny, who occasionally didn't believe in Alinda, was delighted by
Published October 15th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Sign on Rosie's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign on Rosie's Door

Susan
First published in 1960, this is a lovely story for children aged 3+ and is ideal for children moving on to first chapter books. With four chapters and glorious illustrations by Maurice Sendak, this is a wonderful tale about a group of children, amusing themselves with all kinds of imaginative games. Rosie and her friends Kathy, Dolly, Pudgy and Sal put on shows, dress up and pretend to be firecrackers.

It is a shame that this book is not as well known as some of Sendak’s others. I suspect that i
April West
My daughter's imaginary friend is based on a character in this book, so that is probably part of the reason I love it so much. But I also think that her choice of a somewhat minor character helped me see the real beauty of this book, which for me is concentrated in strange little moments that reveal the loneliness and magic of children's relationships. Totally amazing.
Maya Watts
The Sign on Rosie’s Door was another book both written and illustrated by Maurice. The story is about Rosie, who dresses up as a “lady singer” to put on a show for everyone she knows. Things do not go quite how she would like though. She is interrupted by her friend Lenny. IN an effort to make the whole event about herself, her friend abandon her. The colors are very minimal. There is only black and white with red and blue accents here and there. The illustrations resemble what is happening in t ...more
sandhya
Very lovely and completely non-Sendak like, yet has Maurice Sendak written all over it. A delight to read, my daughter and I found this gem at a bookstore today, and bought it after scanning quickly through it. Came home and read it. Quickly. We both had a smile on our faces throughout the reading - lovely, lovely, lovely!
S
This is a great story for beginning readers who claim to have "nothing to do" during the summer. Reading about Rosie and her ideas will give them a good place to start!
Marie Ariel
Written 3 years before Where the Wild Things which starred Max. Rosie has all of Max's spunk and energy plus a wonderful imagination.
Mark
Sep 23, 2007 Mark rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with children below 10 y.o.
i was waiting for a friend at aksara cilandak town square when i stumbled upon this book at children and young adult section. quite *strange* since i was holding rick moody's "garden state" and patrick suskind "perfume : the story of a murderer", planned to buy them since they were on discounted price.

this story about rosie is quite good, she being a little girl full of imagination and pretending to be alinda, a somewhat middle east or latin/gyspy descendant performer (i forgot, hee hee ... sorr
Linda Lipko
This is one of the lighter books written and illustrated by Sendak. It harkens back to a simple time, a time when pretend was a daily game and neighborhood children who grew bored with summer and with each other, could create fantasies and play.

Rosie is quite a character -- stubborn, bossy and creative.

She insists that others listen when she dresses up and becomes the world famous singer Alinda.

Compared to the strong messages in other Sendak book, this one took me by surprise and was quite unins
Justyn Rampa
The low rating likely stems from reading this right after Higglety Pigglety Pop because The Sign on Rosie's Door is really quite an ordinary book from Maurice Sendak. It revolves around a neighborhood of kids playing pretend across several days leading up the Fourth of July. The character of Rosie became the centerpiece in a musical using Sendak characters with music written by Carole King.
Candi
On of my favs as a child and one of only a handful of books that I still have. Now reading to my little one and loving it all over again. Wonderful whimsical story from a small child's point of view and I can look at the illustrations all day. They perfectly capture the movements of small children at play.
Selena Hanet-Hutchins
Emily
Rose and I loved this book. Sendak's books are always very creative. This story was very stream of conscience from a child's mind.
Casey
This is a lost gem!!! Thanks to Dave Eggers and The Strand Bookstore for bringing it to my attention!!
Nicole
I miss the days when kids had time to use their imagination. This book reminds me of that time.
Karre
My 2 yr old LOVES this book. I'm not sure she understands it all but i love it too.
Yi
Lovely book! Imagination is a wondrous gift!
Melanie Gibson
This was my favourite Sendak as a child.
Obisbooks
I loved Rosie's imagination.
Keith
Imaginative yet dull.
Lopa
Mar 02, 2010 Lopa added it
This book attests to the magic that can happen when children are left to their own devices.
Olea Corcoran
Olea Corcoran marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Jenn
Jenn added it
May 06, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Brundibar
  • The World is Round (Little Barefoot Books)
  • When Lightning Comes in a Jar
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Madam President
  • Tillie and the Wall
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • I'll Be You and You Be Me
  • Owly
  • The Maggie B.
  • George and Martha Tons of Fun
  • Flight of the Dodo
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There