Start by marking “The Sign on Rosie's Door” as Want to Read:
The Sign on Rosie's Door

The Sign on Rosie's Door

There was a sign on Rosie's door that said, "If you want to know a secret, knock three times." Kathy, Rosie's good friend, knocked three times and learned the secret-that Rosie was no longer Rosie, but Alinda, the lovely lady singer.

Adventures with Alinda were fun for Kathy and Sal and Pudgy and Dolly. Even Lenny, who occasionally didn't believe in Alinda, was delighted by
Published October 15th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Sign on Rosie's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign on Rosie's Door

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakAlligators All Around by Maurice SendakChicken Soup with Rice by Maurice SendakWe Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy by Maurice Sendak
Best of Maurice Sendak
19th out of 100 books — 5 voters
Celebrate Independence Day by Deborah HeiligmanApple Pie Fourth of July by Janet S. WongThe Flag Maker by Susan Campbell BartolettiA Fourth of July on the Plains by Jean Van LeeuwenThe Story of America's Birthday by Patricia A. Pingry
4th of July Books for Kids
41st out of 80 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
May 13, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
First published in 1960, this is a lovely story for children aged 3+ and is ideal for children moving on to first chapter books. With four chapters and glorious illustrations by Maurice Sendak, this is a wonderful tale about a group of children, amusing themselves with all kinds of imaginative games. Rosie and her friends Kathy, Dolly, Pudgy and Sal put on shows, dress up and pretend to be firecrackers.

It is a shame that this book is not as well known as some of Sendak’s others. I suspect that i
Mathew
This might be a new favourite of mine. I love Rosie's commanding sense of imaginative play and how all her friends join in too. There is a lot of talk these days in the early years and KS1 about the lack of creative and imaginative roleplay but it is here in abundance. There is plenty of humour which comes through the pictures as well as the words.
You can't but love Rosie (or Alinda, the lovely lady singer) as she likes to be known as she puts on shows for her friends or covers herself in blanke
Jason
Aug 09, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
This is kind of a perfect little story. I remember reading it as a kid, but it's definitely been awhile! It captures the timelessness of childhood.
April West
Jul 20, 2007 April West rated it it was amazing
My daughter's imaginary friend is based on a character in this book, so that is probably part of the reason I love it so much. But I also think that her choice of a somewhat minor character helped me see the real beauty of this book, which for me is concentrated in strange little moments that reveal the loneliness and magic of children's relationships. Totally amazing.
Maya Watts
Apr 30, 2014 Maya Watts rated it it was amazing
The Sign on Rosie’s Door was another book both written and illustrated by Maurice. The story is about Rosie, who dresses up as a “lady singer” to put on a show for everyone she knows. Things do not go quite how she would like though. She is interrupted by her friend Lenny. IN an effort to make the whole event about herself, her friend abandon her. The colors are very minimal. There is only black and white with red and blue accents here and there. The illustrations resemble what is happening in t ...more
Kathy England
Jan 02, 2016 Kathy England rated it liked it
We went to the used bookstore the other day to buy some new books for the grandchildren. Most of the books I read them are from when I was little or when my kids were little. We found several old books of Maurice Sendak's, one of my favorite illustrators, that I had never read before. This was one of them. And, much as I love Chicken Soup with Rice and Pierre: a Cautionary Tale, I wasn't totally impressed with this one. It reminded me of Tell Me a Mitzi by Lori Segal which my daughter adored whe ...more
Shannan Dahlka
Oct 14, 2015 Shannan Dahlka rated it it was amazing
This book brilliantly captures the wonder of being a child. When we grow up, we lose this sense of wonder mostly, which is sad. Being a kid, exploring and discovering the world is some of the best time's of life. Sendak does a marvelous job of making the reader, no matter what age, feel like a child, and want to be in this book! I see a lot of Max from Where the Wild Things are in the character of Rosie. Though it's a bit lighter than many other Sendak texts, it is still a great read that grabs ...more
Marcos Kopschitz
Livro de Maurice Sendak (1928-2012) que, na verdade, é de 1960, mas só em 2014 saiu no Brasil. Mesmo problema de seus outros livros, incluindo o famoso Onde Vivem os Monstros, o que ocorre com várias obras infantis.

Texto simples, leitura infantil, ou para ser lido, com ilustrações divertidas. São crianças vizinhas, que brincam juntas, inventam papeis, fantasiam, se relacionam com os pais, etc. Bom retrato de cotidiano dessa idade - mas dos anos 50 / 60. Mudou muita coisa, ou ainda somos os mesmo
Katie Fitzgerald
No one understands imagination like Maurice Sendak did. Rosie is a very real child, and her ability to draw others into her make believe worlds is so appealing. Have your kids read this before exposing them to Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Starring the Nutshell Kids.
sandhya
Jun 20, 2014 sandhya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Very lovely and completely non-Sendak like, yet has Maurice Sendak written all over it. A delight to read, my daughter and I found this gem at a bookstore today, and bought it after scanning quickly through it. Came home and read it. Quickly. We both had a smile on our faces throughout the reading - lovely, lovely, lovely!
Becca
Sep 20, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorites! It helps that I have fond memories of my grandmother reading it to me when I was a kid, and now I have a daughter who is a very close personality match with Rosie. I can't think of any other little kids books that are like this one. It's like Sendak just observes the daily childhood interactions and creativity of his characters. He doesn't try to impose a plot, or a moral, or a clever twist. It's just a little window into the daily social interactions of a c ...more
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maurice Sendak wrote and illustrated this cute little chapter book. The story is about Rosie and she entertains herself and her friends with her big imagination.
Cute story about enertaining oneself.
Jun 10, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a great story for beginning readers who claim to have "nothing to do" during the summer. Reading about Rosie and her ideas will give them a good place to start!
Marie Ariel
Aug 22, 2014 Marie Ariel rated it it was amazing
Written 3 years before Where the Wild Things which starred Max. Rosie has all of Max's spunk and energy plus a wonderful imagination.
Superkirsten Hudson
I love it. Arrow loves it. If you love it, be sure to get hold of Really Rosie (the movie or soundtrack).
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 14, 2016 Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
But a sampling of the wild, weird, and wonderful world of imaginative play.
Mark
Sep 23, 2007 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with children below 10 y.o.
i was waiting for a friend at aksara cilandak town square when i stumbled upon this book at children and young adult section. quite *strange* since i was holding rick moody's "garden state" and patrick suskind "perfume : the story of a murderer", planned to buy them since they were on discounted price.

this story about rosie is quite good, she being a little girl full of imagination and pretending to be alinda, a somewhat middle east or latin/gyspy descendant performer (i forgot, hee hee ... sorr
Cindy
Jan 19, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rosie's a very naughty girl.
Linda Lipko
Jun 19, 2013 Linda Lipko rated it liked it
This is one of the lighter books written and illustrated by Sendak. It harkens back to a simple time, a time when pretend was a daily game and neighborhood children who grew bored with summer and with each other, could create fantasies and play.

Rosie is quite a character -- stubborn, bossy and creative.

She insists that others listen when she dresses up and becomes the world famous singer Alinda.

Compared to the strong messages in other Sendak book, this one took me by surprise and was quite unins
Marisa Smith
cute
Justyn Rampa
Jan 17, 2010 Justyn Rampa rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The low rating likely stems from reading this right after Higglety Pigglety Pop because The Sign on Rosie's Door is really quite an ordinary book from Maurice Sendak. It revolves around a neighborhood of kids playing pretend across several days leading up the Fourth of July. The character of Rosie became the centerpiece in a musical using Sendak characters with music written by Carole King.
Candi
Aug 03, 2012 Candi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-hugh
On of my favs as a child and one of only a handful of books that I still have. Now reading to my little one and loving it all over again. Wonderful whimsical story from a small child's point of view and I can look at the illustrations all day. They perfectly capture the movements of small children at play.
Selena Hanet-Hutchins
Jul 13, 2010 Selena Hanet-Hutchins rated it really liked it
Amanda SF
Nov 02, 2015 Amanda SF rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There is a politically incorrect reference in the 1st chapter, but it was written quite a while ago. Outside of that, this is a great book which celebrates the simple imaginary play of children!
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I am surprised this one is not as well known as some of Sendak's other stories. Perhaps, I shouldn't be; it stars a bright, imaginative, little girl...
Emily
Mar 16, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Rose and I loved this book. Sendak's books are always very creative. This story was very stream of conscience from a child's mind.
Casey
Jun 11, 2012 Casey rated it it was amazing
This is a lost gem!!! Thanks to Dave Eggers and The Strand Bookstore for bringing it to my attention!!
Nicole
Apr 27, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-children
I miss the days when kids had time to use their imagination. This book reminds me of that time.
Karre
Mar 03, 2010 Karre rated it it was amazing
My 2 yr old LOVES this book. I'm not sure she understands it all but i love it too.
  • Brundibar
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Moon Man
  • The World is Round
  • I'll Be You and You Be Me
  • When Lightning Comes in a Jar
  • The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • Owly
  • Need A House? Call Ms. Mouse
  • And If the Moon Could Talk
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • Tillie and the Wall
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...