Start by marking “McDuff Comes Home” as Want to Read:
McDuff Comes Home

McDuff Comes Home (McDuff)

The terrier who found a home with Fred and Lucy in 'McDuff Moves In' gets lost again when he sees a rabbit in the neighbour's yard and chases him into Mrs Higgins' garden. Mrs Higgins puts him in the sidecar of her motorcycle and is driving him into town, when McDuff recognises the smells, the sounds and sight of home.
Published April 4th 2006 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about McDuff Comes Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McDuff Comes Home

Pam
Mar 27, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Wells knows little terriers all too well! What a fun story with a great ending.One of my all-time favorite children's book series. The artwork is fantastic and truly captures the expressions of small terriers perfectly. Rosemary Wells writes wonderful expressive stories. Perfectly captures the personality of West Highland White terriers.
Robert Beveridge
Sep 28, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Rosemary Wells, McDuff Comes Home (Hyperion, 1997)

The McDuff stories are big juju among my wife's family. (My wife explained it to me as “my mom always wanted a Scotty” at one point.) I'd never heard of them before the bean came along, but the first time Grandma took him to the library, they came home with a fistful, two of them from the library's ongoing used book sale, three taken out of the library. As far as I could tell, McDuff Comes Home was the second of them, chronologically. After the e
April
Oct 12, 2012 April rated it liked it
1. Rating: 3
2. A book review from School Library Journal said, "McDuff, an all-too-curious Yorkshire terrier, finds himself far from home when a rabbit in the next yard proves to be too much temptation and he takes off after it. The rabbit outwits him, though, and the small dog suddenly realizes that he's lost. Help comes in the form of a lively senior citizen who finds the wayward pup and takes him home (with directions from McDuff) on her motorcycle. Wells is a master at the delicate art of st
Laura Verret
Aug 23, 2013 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
McDuff loves to lay in his corner of the garden, under the window of the kitchen of the people that he loves. He can smell the yummy food cooking and hear their happy voices drifting by. He is falling asleep…

But what is that moving in the neighbour’s garden? A rabbit! It must be chased! The rabbit runs and leaps and dashes, and stout little McDuff runs and leaps and dashes after him, but he cannot catch that rabbit. When McDuff finds himself far away from home, he is scared. Will he ever find th
Eyehavenofilter
Nov 06, 2012 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Mc Duff is at it again, and in "His" garden is an interloper... a rabbit! so he chases the rabbit, who then leads him all over hill and dale, losing his collar and tags in the process, till he is so tired he collapses on foreign soil. Its really only Mrs. Higgins garden, but she finds him asleep, under a bush and is determined to bring him home. Secured in the cab of her motorcycle side car she drices him around untill he redognizes his house and is reunited with his family.
The illustrations of
Dolly
Sep 26, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love reading books by Rosemary Wells and we've read a couple of the books in the McDuff series and we really like the fluffy little guy. The story is simple and helps remind our girls that the world is very big and sometimes scary to a little pup like him. We've recently adopted a puppy and this was also a good reminder to keep our eye on her, especially if she goes exploring. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Karen
Mar 30, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
McDuff is adorable! I'm not normally a fan of Rosemary Wells, but McDuff is adorable!

As I was reading this book to my six-year-old son, he picked up his rabbit off of the floor and started acting out the story.

I loved the 1940-ish illustrations, too.
The Brothers
Feb 08, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chasing, dogs, lost, rabbits
McDuff spies a rabbit and chases it out of the comfortable confines of his own yard, loosing his collar in the process. He become lost, but with the help of a kindly woman, he finds his way home. One of Dex's (2 y.o.) favorite series.

Cute illustrations.
Erin
Apr 15, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We just adore McDuff. The boys like him because he is cute and gets into mischief. I love the artwork; the furniture, the ladies' clothes. Fun to read!
Stacy Tippens
Jul 27, 2009 Stacy Tippens rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A really cute story about a little dog who gets lost chasing a rabbit but finds his way home with the help of kind strangers.
Deb
Jan 27, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first story I've seen Emily read on her own with her own story line. It involved lots of "hello doggie" and "goodbye doggie". Love the Jeffers illustrations for this series.
Joshua's Mom
Aug 12, 2016 Joshua's Mom rated it liked it
Joshua's (4 years) favorite part: McDuff chasing the rabbit all over the park!

Maybe we would have liked this more if we were into the series...
Edna
Dec 07, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it
The illustrator Susan Jeffers did an excellent job with capturing how a Westie looks like and its mannerisms.
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Amanda Hamilton
Amanda Hamilton rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2008
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Dawn Perry
Dawn Perry rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Andréa
Andréa rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2008
Samantha Wray
Samantha Wray rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Dara
Dara rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
~katie~
~katie~ rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Elizabeth Hoffman
Elizabeth Hoffman rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Aqua
Aqua rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Mie
Mie rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Bethany Stevens
Bethany Stevens rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Shelley McNaughton
Shelley McNaughton rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Rasa
Rasa rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • Betty Doll
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Biggest, Strongest, Fastest
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • D Is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Carl's Masquerade
  • Fields of Fury
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Very Last First Time
  • Sugaring Time
  • The Popcorn Book
  • Moon Plane

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

McDuff (8 books)