Start by marking “A Broken Family” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Broken Family

Kitty Neale

A Broken Family

Published (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Broken Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Broken Family

rose
Jan 15, 2017 rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ejoyable

Found this book amusing, and sad at times, once started to read it, I didn't want to put it down.
Ambia Khatun
Jun 26, 2013 Ambia Khatun rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Kitty Neale, I've read nearly all of her books but I was a little disappointed with A Broken Family.

Neale's known for not exaggerating or using more description in her writing which suits me fine since its refreshing to read something simple once in a while. But this book felt too long and was dragging a little.

The fact that Jeremy was an important character, so much he was even mentioned in the blurb, didn't seem to matter as he was introduced so late into the book and the di
Christopher Winterburn
if you read the back cover, the book itself is not what is to be expected, it's so much more. A very involving book. I think I felt a part of it because I've known characters like what appear within these pages.

Very well written and set in a period where it seems men were men and the woman's place was in the kitchen and then when the man has a fully belly, she'd better be on the bed and willing or be taken by force. Was society in the late 50's really that barbaric?

Mostly based around one street
Emma
Sep 09, 2014 Emma rated it it was ok
Atrocious. Spoiler alert, a bit, kind of: Very nearly gave up with about 60 pages TO GO, as didn't think I could cope with reading of any more unwanted sex, or all these exceptionally (un)lucky women getting pregnant after one go. I read to the end, hurray, and was even more cross with myself. Came away feeling deflated with womankind, and myself for wasting 2 evenings. I think my mother recommended this book. I will rack my brain to ensure I return the favour with an excellently sourced recomme ...more
Claire Moss
Sep 02, 2015 Claire Moss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow to begin with not seeing much of aplot forming for a good few chapters but it gives u a chance to get to know the characters. like every other kitty neale ive read once the plot thickens I cant put it down and it doesn't take me long to finish reading and then I want to read another. the story line is interesting and the characters are all very different with relatable but dysfunctional families and some tragedies thrown in too. highly recommended
Hazel
Jun 26, 2014 Hazel rated it really liked it
Brilliant story, absolutely loved this book and the whole story in general. I was quite disappointed with the end though, thought it was rushed and just all of a sudden finished. Overall though I'd give it an 8.5/10 :)
Victoria
Aug 01, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
Quite enjoyed this book, regardless of the poor reviews on here. I was disappointed with the abrupt ending. It felt like the story finished in a hurry. Regardless of that it was quite gripping and a good read.
Gillian
Feb 01, 2014 Gillian rated it really liked it
I like Kitty Neal and was not disappointed. A lovely story of three families are bought together by love and hate. Some good twists in the story and a decent ending not quite what you expect. An easy and enjoyable read.
Debbie Swift
Very very slow getting into the story.
What was wrote on the back didn't actually happen till near the end, so that isn't what the story is actually about.
To me it also seemed to have a rushed ending, just as the book actually got going, it ended!
Karen
Jan 23, 2013 Karen rated it did not like it
Very slow story,couldnt get into it at all, i like to get hooked on a story from the start. I tried for a while to get into this book but just couldnt i was so bored that i gave up half way through!
Alecia Emerson-thomas
Jan 28, 2013 Alecia Emerson-thomas rated it did not like it
Slow but once you've started you have to find out what happens, then it's all suddenly over & you may wish you hadn't bothered but the main Character is likeable.
Melanie Thompson
Jan 03, 2013 Melanie Thompson rated it really liked it
An interesting read, looking at the complexity of family relationships, jelousy, obsession, letting go, death and truth are all covered in this book.
Debbie
Jan 18, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of contenders here for the Jeremy Kyle show ...... families at war, secrets, rape; unwanted pregnancies and a happy ever after or two
Louise
Jan 04, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
I was really enjoying the story when it ended suddenly. Was quite disappointed with the ending and would like to know more.
Claire Rigby
Jan 08, 2013 Claire Rigby rated it did not like it

So poorly written- my six year old writes stories with more complex and cleverer sentences. Cannot vouch for the second half of the book as I didn't finish it!
Sue Smith
Jul 19, 2015 Sue Smith rated it liked it
An easy read.
Lots of similarities between this novel and others I have read but I find this comforting.
Hayleigh Round
Hayleigh Round rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2017
Cathy Doherty
Cathy Doherty rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Georgina Perfect
Georgina Perfect rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
barbara fewins
barbara fewins rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Veronica Dempster
Veronica Dempster rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
SHEILA CHADFIELD
SHEILA CHADFIELD rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Patricia Miller
Patricia Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Joanne Hardy
Joanne Hardy rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Gem
Gem rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Joanne Perry
Joanne Perry rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
ANNE  ENSER
ANNE ENSER rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
L
L rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2013
  • Hannah's Choice
  • The Cupboard Under the Stairs: A Boy Trapped in Hell...
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • The Valentine's Card
  • Before She Was Mine
  • Better Together
  • Against All Odds
  • When Fraser Met Billy: An Autistic Boy, a Rescue Cat, and the Transformative Power of Animal Connections
  • The Flamboya Tree: Memories of a Family's War Time Courage