Blank-133x176
A broken family

Kitty Neale

A broken family

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published (first published December 1st 2012)

Ambia Khatun
I'm a huge fan of Kitty Neale, I've read nearly all of her books but I was a little disappointed with A Broken Family.

Neale's known for not exaggerating or using more description in her writing which suits me fine since its refreshing to read something simple once in a while. But this book felt too long and was dragging a little.

The fact that Jeremy was an important character, so much he was even mentioned in the blurb, didn't seem to matter as he was introduced so late into the book and the di...more
Christopher Winterburn
if you read the back cover, the book itself is not what is to be expected, it's so much more. A very involving book. I think I felt a part of it because I've known characters like what appear within these pages.

Very well written and set in a period where it seems men were men and the woman's place was in the kitchen and then when the man has a fully belly, she'd better be on the bed and willing or be taken by force. Was society in the late 50's really that barbaric?

Mostly based around one street...more
Hazel
Brilliant story, absolutely loved this book and the whole story in general. I was quite disappointed with the end though, thought it was rushed and just all of a sudden finished. Overall though I'd give it an 8.5/10 :)
Gillian
I like Kitty Neal and was not disappointed. A lovely story of three families are bought together by love and hate. Some good twists in the story and a decent ending not quite what you expect. An easy and enjoyable read.
Debbie Swift
Very very slow getting into the story.
What was wrote on the back didn't actually happen till near the end, so that isn't what the story is actually about.
To me it also seemed to have a rushed ending, just as the book actually got going, it ended!
Victoria
Quite enjoyed this book, regardless of the poor reviews on here. I was disappointed with the abrupt ending. It felt like the story finished in a hurry. Regardless of that it was quite gripping and a good read.
Karen
Very slow story,couldnt get into it at all, i like to get hooked on a story from the start. I tried for a while to get into this book but just couldnt i was so bored that i gave up half way through!
Alecia Emerson-thomas
Slow but once you've started you have to find out what happens, then it's all suddenly over & you may wish you hadn't bothered but the main Character is likeable.
Claire Rigby

So poorly written- my six year old writes stories with more complex and cleverer sentences. Cannot vouch for the second half of the book as I didn't finish it!
Melanie Thompson
An interesting read, looking at the complexity of family relationships, jelousy, obsession, letting go, death and truth are all covered in this book.
Debbie
Lots of contenders here for the Jeremy Kyle show ...... families at war, secrets, rape; unwanted pregnancies and a happy ever after or two
Louise
I was really enjoying the story when it ended suddenly. Was quite disappointed with the ending and would like to know more.
Elaine
Elaine is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Sally Wilkins
Sally Wilkins marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Bhagwant Kaur
Bhagwant Kaur is currently reading it
May 08, 2014