Start by marking “Autistic Planet” as Want to Read:
Autistic Planet

Autistic Planet

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  21 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Autistic Planet is a magical world where all trains run exactly to time, where people working in offices have rocking chairs, and where all kids dream of winning the chess World Cup. Join us on a journey to this alternative reality, where being different is ordinary, and being "typical" is unheard of!

Full of colour illustrations and written in child-friendly rhyme, this bo
Hardcover
Published May 15th 2007 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Autistic Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autistic Planet

Courtney
Jun 17, 2016 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: asd-adhd
The ending saved it from being a little offensive. It's not so much an 'autistic planet' so much as the speaker's own ideal world. As I was reading it I cringed knowing some kids with ASD who would not like this setting, but relaxed when it was just that one person's ideal place.
A mantra in my work place is 'if you've met one kid with autism, you've met one kid with autism.'
Kaitlin Garrison
Elder, J. (2007). Autistic planet. London, UK: Jessica Kingsley Publishers

Do you ever wonder what goes through the mind of an autistic child during what seems to be everyday situations? In Elder’s picture book, she poetically provides insight into the “why” of the persistency, accuracy and intelligence of those with autism. As she describes situations and reactions that most would find odd, the reader is able to get a glimpse into why those with autism find them to be normal. This book is excell
Megan
This was the e-book I chose to read.

Audience: Primary
Genre: Non-fiction, picture book
Fiction Twin Text: Rules by Cynthia Lord

Autistic World is a great book that would teach kids a lot about autism. This book won a Gold Medal in the Moonbeam Children's Book Award Non-fiction picture Book Category. The book is about a girl with autism who describes what it is like in her world. Even though she acts differently than most other people, the author does a great job describing how having autism doesn'
Nick Molinet
Apr 10, 2013 Nick Molinet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colorful, autism, respect
I love this book! this is such a great book to read to children about autism because it takes on the task of teaching children a complex and tricky issue like autism in a fun and relatable way. This is the story of a little boy who sees his autistic friend at school making her "planet" out of clay and she tells him all the things they do there. This book is so great because its not only good for children but for all ages because of the wonderful way it was written and illustrated.

LE: after the r
Adam Utehs
This book is about a autistic girl who makes a world out of clay and talks about her world and when our world becomes out of whack this is where her and her friend can come to. this book show kids that this world is not always perfect and things will happen in life that are not favorable to what they want. I like how this book was written in the eyes of an autistic girl because it shows that even is she has mental issues she can still she that the world isn't favorable. I would recommend this ...more
Elise Xuereb
Apr 04, 2015 Elise Xuereb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autism
This book is wonderful to help friends, family, and siblings understand the challenges that an autistic person faces. This book takes you to a place where different is normal and being "normal" is not an option. The text is written in a way that is a child-friendly rhyme. They, too, can learn, only they learn differently.

Genre: Children's Picture Book
Amber
Jan 12, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I would like to use to show my students that just because a person is Autistic it doesn't mean they cant do things they just do things different than us. It also shows how brillant an Autistic child can be. It also shows that sometimes we all belong to a different planet.
Victoria Dimmitt
This book gives a unique viewpoint on an autistic girls view of the world. I would read this book in a classroom so that other students could get a better handle how different people view the world in a different way.
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Patti
Patti rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Zahra--Avid Reader
Zahra--Avid Reader rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
William Neeld
William Neeld rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Rachel
Jun 24, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Unique take on autism. Really gets inside the girls head.
E R
E R rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Joseph Robertson
Joseph Robertson rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Deah
Deah rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2008
Sande
Sande rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Jason Allen
Jason Allen rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Yash Khatri
Yash Khatri rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2010
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2008
Aric
Aric added it
Mar 05, 2011
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2011
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2011
Priscilla Schelling
Priscilla Schelling marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Karen Carrollmeyer
Karen Carrollmeyer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lou
Lou marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Sherry Mccarty
Sherry Mccarty marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Xia Doyle
Xia Doyle marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016