Start by marking “Death of a Thousand Cuts” as Want to Read:
Death of a Thousand Cuts

Death of a Thousand Cuts

The first winner of the Mary Higgins Clark Award, Barbara D'Amato has been widely praised for her engrossing novels of crime and suspense. Now she opens the case file on a singularly savage murder, set in a uniquely disturbing setting.

The Hawthorne House School for the Treatment of Autistic Children was once known for its pioneering educational approach and remarkable succ
Published June 1st 2004 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Thousand Cuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Thousand Cuts

Sabrina (:
In Death of a Thousand Cuts by Barbara D’Amato, The Hawthorne House is open for a reunion fifteen years after it was closed down. The Hawthorne House for the Treatment of Autistic Children was known for its approach in treating children with autism. The staff and former patients have returned for the first ever reunion. Some had returned because they chose to and others returned because they were told it would help to be reminded. All is well until the next day the founder of Hawthorne House, D ...more
Linda Goldstein
Jul 18, 2014 Linda Goldstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my interest throughout. I could put it down, then pick it back up & get right back into it. I liked the different points of view. The problem posed of a detective trying to determine how to interpret statements made by the suspects, both autistic students and psychiatric professionals, was a nice twist for a police procedural.
Andrea
Jun 14, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
This crime novel was similar to Eye Contact in that the investigation has to involve autistic witnesses. The parts I enjoyed most about this book were how the author used the point-of-view of the autistic characters to point out the flaws we have in our societal expectations. We often try to teach others how to "behave" socially, but rarely follow those practices in the ways we wish others would.
Sara G
Jan 24, 2017 Sara G rated it liked it
3.5/5
the focus on autism was interesting but the mystery took too long to unravel. there were a lot of pointless sidebars.
LJ
DEATH OF A THOUSAND CUTS (Police Procedural) – VG
Barbara D’Amato – 19th Book
Forge, 2004 - Hardcover
During a reunion weekend, famed doctor and author, Dr. Jay Schermerhorn, if found brutally murdered in the basement of Hawthorne House, once a home and treatment center for autistic children. Chicago Detectives Emily Folkestone and Oliver Parks must quickly find the killer of this high-profile victim among the former staff, doctors, family and patients.
*** Marvelous descriptions of Chicago and Hawt
Jun 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
June 2009 COTC Book Club selection.

I actually really liked this and plan to add some more of D'Amato's books to my mental to read list. I was actually surprised to see that this is the first book featuring Emily and her partner - D'Amato wrote it such that I felt there had been previous installments and we were expected to know about the police detectives. I did see that she has a novel featuring Polly Kelly, the Chief of Detectives South, so maybe our main detecting protagonists are spin-off ch
Marsha
Feb 21, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing
A reunion at a former resident school for autistic children results in the murder of the school's founder, Dr. Jay Schermerhorn. the autistic children, now autistic adults, their parents and former staff are held for questioning. But how do the police evaluate the responses and behavior of the autistic adults? Can their answers be relied upon? And what will their parents to to protect them? These problems and more confound the police in their investigation of this high profile case.

I found the
Shirley J
May 04, 2009 Shirley J rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed the premise of the book and felt the characterization was well done.

I felt the story started to drag somewhat, mostly because the point of view of Detective Emily Folkestone seemed to veer into events or thoughts that I didn't feel were that relevant to the story (and I do hate to feel like my time is being wasted when reading a book). This is a minor fault of the book but I was annoyed enough to rate the rating a notch.

Ms. D'Amato does extensive background research for her b
Shannon Renee
May 28, 2011 Shannon Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd read for me. I grew up with autism (my older brother) and with my job as a speech therapist. So I am very hard to satisfy when reading anything with Autism. If you knew little to nothing of autism, this would be a good read.
Rainbow
Mar 30, 2008 Rainbow rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans, autistic people, anyone who hates Bruno Bettleheim
I enjoyed this book. I especially liked the portrayal of the autistic characters. There was no big "cure the defective autistic person" moment. The author must have done some research into the autistic spectrum.

It is a good mystery, with its share of red herrings and blind alleys.
krin
Jul 11, 2008 krin rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was a good police procedural with an emphasis on the wide spectrum of autism behaviors. I liked how the point of view switched from former patient Jeffery Clifford who has developed ways of coping with the world to detective Emily Folkestone who learns about how autistic people behave.
Brook
Jul 10, 2016 Brook rated it liked it
Knew what happened before it was revealed, but still pretty good. I thought the storyline was well written.
Beverlee  Couillard
Beverlee Couillard rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Richard Fifield
Richard Fifield rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Dennis Banahan
Dennis Banahan rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
CarrieBeth
CarrieBeth rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2011
KaylieM8947
KaylieM8947 rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Tera
Tera rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Bridgette Bonk
Bridgette Bonk rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Jac
Jac rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2007
Rachelle Heron
Rachelle Heron rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Laura Pollard
Laura Pollard rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Angela Myers
Angela Myers rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Aka Malacai Black

Barbara D'Amato has had a checkered career, working in the distant past as an assistant surgical orderly, carpenter for stage magic illusions, assistant tiger handler, stage manager, researcher for attorneys in criminal cases, and recently sometimes teaching mystery writing to Chicago police officers.

"Writing is the greatest job of all," D'Amato says. "I get to hang around with co
More about Barbara D'Amato...