Start by marking “Death of a Thousand Cuts” as Want to Read:
Death of a Thousand Cuts

Death of a Thousand Cuts

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The first winner of the Mary Higgins Clark Award, Barbara D'Amato has been widely praised for her engrossing novels of crime and suspense. Now she opens the case file on a singularly savage murder, set in a uniquely disturbing setting.

The Hawthorne House School for the Treatment of Autistic Children was once known for its pioneering educational approach and remarkable succ
Published June 1st 2004 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Thousand Cuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Thousand Cuts

Sabrina (:
In Death of a Thousand Cuts by Barbara D’Amato, The Hawthorne House is open for a reunion fifteen years after it was closed down. The Hawthorne House for the Treatment of Autistic Children was known for its approach in treating children with autism. The staff and former patients have returned for the first ever reunion. Some had returned because they chose to and others returned because they were told it would help to be reminded. All is well until the next day the founder of Hawthorne House, D ...more
Andrea
This crime novel was similar to Eye Contact in that the investigation has to involve autistic witnesses. The parts I enjoyed most about this book were how the author used the point-of-view of the autistic characters to point out the flaws we have in our societal expectations. We often try to teach others how to "behave" socially, but rarely follow those practices in the ways we wish others would.
Linda Goldstein
This book kept my interest throughout. I could put it down, then pick it back up & get right back into it. I liked the different points of view. The problem posed of a detective trying to determine how to interpret statements made by the suspects, both autistic students and psychiatric professionals, was a nice twist for a police procedural.
LJ
DEATH OF A THOUSAND CUTS (Police Procedural) – VG
Barbara D’Amato – 19th Book
Forge, 2004 - Hardcover
During a reunion weekend, famed doctor and author, Dr. Jay Schermerhorn, if found brutally murdered in the basement of Hawthorne House, once a home and treatment center for autistic children. Chicago Detectives Emily Folkestone and Oliver Parks must quickly find the killer of this high-profile victim among the former staff, doctors, family and patients.
*** Marvelous descriptions of Chicago and Hawt
June 2009 COTC Book Club selection.

I actually really liked this and plan to add some more of D'Amato's books to my mental to read list. I was actually surprised to see that this is the first book featuring Emily and her partner - D'Amato wrote it such that I felt there had been previous installments and we were expected to know about the police detectives. I did see that she has a novel featuring Polly Kelly, the Chief of Detectives South, so maybe our main detecting protagonists are spin-off ch
Marsha
A reunion at a former resident school for autistic children results in the murder of the school's founder, Dr. Jay Schermerhorn. the autistic children, now autistic adults, their parents and former staff are held for questioning. But how do the police evaluate the responses and behavior of the autistic adults? Can their answers be relied upon? And what will their parents to to protect them? These problems and more confound the police in their investigation of this high profile case.

I found the
Renata
Thoroughly enjoyed the premise of the book and felt the characterization was well done.

I felt the story started to drag somewhat, mostly because the point of view of Detective Emily Folkestone seemed to veer into events or thoughts that I didn't feel were that relevant to the story (and I do hate to feel like my time is being wasted when reading a book). This is a minor fault of the book but I was annoyed enough to rate the rating a notch.

Ms. D'Amato does extensive background research for her b
krin
This book was a good police procedural with an emphasis on the wide spectrum of autism behaviors. I liked how the point of view switched from former patient Jeffery Clifford who has developed ways of coping with the world to detective Emily Folkestone who learns about how autistic people behave.
Rainbow
Mar 30, 2008 Rainbow rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, autistic people, anyone who hates Bruno Bettleheim
I enjoyed this book. I especially liked the portrayal of the autistic characters. There was no big "cure the defective autistic person" moment. The author must have done some research into the autistic spectrum.

It is a good mystery, with its share of red herrings and blind alleys.
Shannon Renee
Odd read for me. I grew up with autism (my older brother) and with my job as a speech therapist. So I am very hard to satisfy when reading anything with Autism. If you knew little to nothing of autism, this would be a good read.
Shonna Froebel
Liked the autism aspect.
Very good characters, didn't guess who until late in the book.
Falseastronomy
Falseastronomy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
M3
M3 marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ann Trotter
Ann Trotter marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Odes Lee
Odes Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aka Malacai Black

Barbara D'Amato has had a checkered career, working in the distant past as an assistant surgical orderly, carpenter for stage magic illusions, assistant tiger handler, stage manager, researcher for attorneys in criminal cases, and recently sometimes teaching mystery writing to Chicago police officers.

"Writing is the greatest job of all," D'Amato says. "I get to hang around with co
More about Barbara D'Amato...
Hard Tack: A Cat Marsala Mystery Hard Christmas Other Eyes Hard Women: A Cat Marsala Mystery Killer.App