Start by marking “Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender” as Want to Read:
Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender

Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  7 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Hansen challenges both the long-standing myth of Chaucer as the tolerant, wise Father of English poetry and the recent arguments that Chaucer was a protofeminist, subversive of the misogyny of his day. Hansen argues that these mistaken interpretations inhibit readings of Chaucer that respond to feminist and other poststructuralist critiques of traditional literary scholars ...more
Hardcover
Published January 30th 1992 by University of California Press (first published January 10th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender

Nikki
Apr 26, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
Not terribly useful to me, in terms of what I was looking for, but an interesting perspective on gender in Chaucer's works. I wasn't too impressed by some of it -- you know the way everyone says English Lit students read too much into it? Well, sometimes they do, and I think this was one of those cases.
Michelle
Apr 02, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
The review above makes me laugh. As a professional medievalist, let me just say that this book is one of the definitive texts on Chaucer, and is used in graduate courses all the time. It is articulate and well researched, and provides an excellent counterbalance to the traditional white male perspective that dominated Chaucer studies for years.
Billie
Billie rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Sylwia
Sylwia rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Eunice
Eunice rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2014
Willsy
Willsy added it
Jan 15, 2014
Richard Prins
Richard Prins marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2013