Start by marking “Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965” as Want to Read:
Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965

Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  450 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Eyes on the Prize traces the movement from the landmark Brown v. the Board of Education case in 1954 to the march on Selma and the passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965. This is a companion volume to the first part of the acclaimed PBS series.
Published February 2nd 1988 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes on the Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes on the Prize

Mephistia
Eyes on the Prize utilizes the tactic of revisionist history -- that is, telling historical events from perspectives not often considered. For instance, the master narrative or textbook version of the Civil Rights movement is generally focused on Martin Luther King and how he empowered a repressed people.

Eyes on the Prize approaches the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s with a different perspective. It starts by introducing the social elements and people between the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 an
Jim Blessing
Mar 18, 2014 Jim Blessing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I saw this film series several years ago and just now read the companion book. Both were excellent! The courage of the people in fighting the awful segregation policies was remarkable.
Ken Moten
Nov 29, 2013 Ken Moten rated it it was amazing
"The only thing that we did was wrong
Was staying' in the wilderness too long
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on, hold on
"

This book is the companion piece to THE definitive documentary on the American Civil Rights Movement of the same name. This book to a subject that I already knew a lot about and gave me even more comprehensive primary sourced information about it. I read the book to the point that the cover has been torn off. The language of the book is easy enough for any one to understand
Mia Mitns
Jan 06, 2015 Mia Mitns rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It simplifies learning about a part of American History that is not widely taught or discussed.
Liz D
Nov 21, 2014 Liz D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that this book focuses on depth rather than breadth is very much a point in its favor. It digs into eleven of the most significant years of the Civil Rights movement, blending fairly straightforward history writing (sometimes a bit dry) with photos and primary sources in an engaging way. It's interesting--and not a just a little bit discomfiting--to note some of the similarities in the attitudes and tactics of segregationists from half a century ago to some of what's going on today. [In ...more
Andrew
Mar 03, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Easily the most important book I've read lately, and possibly ever. A clear and concise history that I found fascinating, shocking, and enlightening. Should be required reading for every child of the 60's and 70's like me, whose prior knowledge of civil rights basically consisted of Rosa Parks and a bus.
Joseph
Jun 10, 2009 Joseph rated it it was amazing
i havent learned about teh civil rights movement entirely yet, but its totally awesome. its some what boring, but then also its also really interesting;.. what hapens is that it tells of the story of the civil rights movement, as well as giving little excerpts of slavery over the years. i learned more about mlk and even rosa parks. it was all about how activsts and leaders in teh civil rights movement did as much as they could for the movement... please read this in order to learn more about the ...more
Linda Lipko
Jun 19, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it liked it
Shelves: civil-rights
This is an indepth study of the major occurrences during the civil rights movement. It basically was a review of what I've learned from previous books.
Sykes
Jan 03, 2008 Sykes rated it it was amazing
My first dose of white guilt quickly turned to anger at a mis-education system that never showed me this period of our history. This book reveals the good, the bad, and the ugliness of the Civil Rights Movement. I use the PBS video companion to supplement my 6th graders' photohistory "The Day Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was Shot" selection. I highly recommend watching this if you are interested in reading the book to see interviews, news footage, and commentary.
Tom Huskerson
Mar 06, 2013 Tom Huskerson rated it it was amazing
An awesome historical account that truly reflects the struggle African -Americans endured. I enjoyed it very much. It not often that you such a compelling history book. I actually feel like I got to know a lot of the leadera of the Civil rights movement. Their feelings and determination was so powerfully described in this book. You could connect with movement through this book and whats more important you can connect with America and what society was experiencing.
David Jackson
Nov 01, 2009 David Jackson rated it really liked it
I have always been interested in the civil rights movement, even though I am too young to remember anything about when it was in full swing (I was in kindergarten when Martin Luther King was assassinated). This book brings those years to life and has helped me better understand what the whole movement was about and what fueled the movement. I have also watched the video series of the same name and can highly recommend those as well.
Kate
Feb 23, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: race-stuff, history
Should be in EVERYBODY'S library, for reference as to what the heck was going on during the civil rights movement. I go back to this book every time Martin Luther King's birthday rolls around, just to refresh my memory as to just how important the civil rights era of the 50's and 60's was, and just how far we have to go to create a just, equitable society in this country.
SJ Loria
Mar 21, 2013 SJ Loria rated it really liked it
Holy shit this book is awesome. Thank you Professor Melvin Ely, William and Mary. Perhaps the best professor I've had, our class used to rock out to this book. Amazing. I love the chaper on the Emmitt Till and the Freedom Ride.
Erin (NY)
Dec 26, 2009 Erin (NY) rated it it was amazing
I will start by saying that I generally don't enjoy history books, but this book is SO WELL written! It actually made the civil rights movement sound fascinating! I enjoyed learning so much about the history of that time period!
Joli Wake
Been pulled to learn more on the civil rights movement history for a long time now. Did a little looking around and found this. If anyone has any more recommendations for good sources, please share!
Jackie
Jul 29, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
This is a good book if you are looking to learn more about the Civil Rights movement. Which I was, since I must have slept through every history class in my entire life.
Mac
Sep 12, 2007 Mac rated it it was amazing
A very thorough history of one of the most interesting periods in American history.
Fran Landers
Oct 26, 2008 Fran Landers rated it really liked it
My personal biases and the conflicts within the black community.
caitlin
Apr 16, 2007 caitlin rated it it was amazing
everyone should know the story of the american civil rights movement.
Shelley
Jun 24, 2008 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, history fans
Recommended to Shelley by: school
a fairly thorough overview of the civil rights movement
Cathee Conner
Jul 16, 2008 Cathee Conner rated it it was amazing
The DVD companion set is incredible.
S Besore
S Besore rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Eric Wu
Eric Wu rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Michelle H
Michelle H marked it as to-read
C. R.
C. R. marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Rachel Hurst
Rachel Hurst marked it as to-read
Sheela Lal
Sheela Lal marked it as to-read
Dorian Spears
Dorian Spears is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
  • The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader: Documents, Speeches, and Firsthand Accounts from the Black Freedom Struggle
  • Streets of Hope: The Fall and Rise of an Urban Neighborhood
  • This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • My Soul Is Rested: Movement Days in the Deep South Remembered
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet
  • The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama