Start by marking “Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965” as Want to Read:
Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965

Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Eyes on the Prize traces the movement from the landmark Brown v. the Board of Education case in 1954 to the march on Selma and the passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965. This is a companion volume to the first part of the acclaimed PBS series.
Published February 2nd 1988 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes on the Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes on the Prize

Mephistia
Eyes on the Prize utilizes the tactic of revisionist history -- that is, telling historical events from perspectives not often considered. For instance, the master narrative or textbook version of the Civil Rights movement is generally focused on Martin Luther King and how he empowered a repressed people.

Eyes on the Prize approaches the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s with a different perspective. It starts by introducing the social elements and people between the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 an
Jim Blessing
I saw this film series several years ago and just now read the companion book. Both were excellent! The courage of the people in fighting the awful segregation policies was remarkable.
Ken Moten
"The only thing that we did was wrong
Was staying' in the wilderness too long
Keep your eyes on the prize
Hold on, hold on
"

This book is the companion piece to THE definitive documentary on the American Civil Rights Movement of the same name. This book to a subject that I already knew a lot about and gave me even more comprehensive primary sourced information about it. I read the book to the point that the cover has been torn off. The language of the book is easy enough for any one to understand
Mia Mitns
This is a great book. It simplifies learning about a part of American History that is not widely taught or discussed.
Liz D
The fact that this book focuses on depth rather than breadth is very much a point in its favor. It digs into eleven of the most significant years of the Civil Rights movement, blending fairly straightforward history writing (sometimes a bit dry) with photos and primary sources in an engaging way. It's interesting--and not a just a little bit discomfiting--to note some of the similarities in the attitudes and tactics of segregationists from half a century ago to some of what's going on today. [In ...more
Andrew
Easily the most important book I've read lately, and possibly ever. A clear and concise history that I found fascinating, shocking, and enlightening. Should be required reading for every child of the 60's and 70's like me, whose prior knowledge of civil rights basically consisted of Rosa Parks and a bus.
Joseph
i havent learned about teh civil rights movement entirely yet, but its totally awesome. its some what boring, but then also its also really interesting;.. what hapens is that it tells of the story of the civil rights movement, as well as giving little excerpts of slavery over the years. i learned more about mlk and even rosa parks. it was all about how activsts and leaders in teh civil rights movement did as much as they could for the movement... please read this in order to learn more about the ...more
Sykes
My first dose of white guilt quickly turned to anger at a mis-education system that never showed me this period of our history. This book reveals the good, the bad, and the ugliness of the Civil Rights Movement. I use the PBS video companion to supplement my 6th graders' photohistory "The Day Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was Shot" selection. I highly recommend watching this if you are interested in reading the book to see interviews, news footage, and commentary.
Tom Huskerson
An awesome historical account that truly reflects the struggle African -Americans endured. I enjoyed it very much. It not often that you such a compelling history book. I actually feel like I got to know a lot of the leadera of the Civil rights movement. Their feelings and determination was so powerfully described in this book. You could connect with movement through this book and whats more important you can connect with America and what society was experiencing.
David Jackson
I have always been interested in the civil rights movement, even though I am too young to remember anything about when it was in full swing (I was in kindergarten when Martin Luther King was assassinated). This book brings those years to life and has helped me better understand what the whole movement was about and what fueled the movement. I have also watched the video series of the same name and can highly recommend those as well.
Kate
Should be in EVERYBODY'S library, for reference as to what the heck was going on during the civil rights movement. I go back to this book every time Martin Luther King's birthday rolls around, just to refresh my memory as to just how important the civil rights era of the 50's and 60's was, and just how far we have to go to create a just, equitable society in this country.
TeacherMrLoria
Holy shit this book is awesome. Thank you Professor Melvin Ely, William and Mary. Perhaps the best professor I've had, our class used to rock out to this book. Amazing. I love the chaper on the Emmitt Till and the Freedom Ride.
Erin (NY)
I will start by saying that I generally don't enjoy history books, but this book is SO WELL written! It actually made the civil rights movement sound fascinating! I enjoyed learning so much about the history of that time period!
Joli Wake
Been pulled to learn more on the civil rights movement history for a long time now. Did a little looking around and found this. If anyone has any more recommendations for good sources, please share!
Jackie
This is a good book if you are looking to learn more about the Civil Rights movement. Which I was, since I must have slept through every history class in my entire life.
Mac
A very thorough history of one of the most interesting periods in American history.
Fran Landers
My personal biases and the conflicts within the black community.
caitlin
everyone should know the story of the american civil rights movement.
Shelley
Jun 24, 2008 Shelley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, history fans
Recommended to Shelley by: school
a fairly thorough overview of the civil rights movement
Cathee Conner
The DVD companion set is incredible.
Kenneth Hunter
Kenneth Hunter marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Derrick Bernard
Derrick Bernard marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Ifetayo Bonner
Ifetayo Bonner marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jamee Bell
Jamee Bell is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sarabi Eventide
Sarabi Eventide marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
  • The Eyes on the Prize Civil Rights Reader: Documents, Speeches, and Firsthand Accounts from the Black Freedom Struggle
  • This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Streets of Hope: The Fall and Rise of an Urban Neighborhood
  • Black Power: The Politics of Liberation
  • Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
  • Been in the Storm So Long: The Aftermath of Slavery
  • My Soul Is Rested: Movement Days in the Deep South Remembered
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • The Antonio Gramsci Reader: Selected Writings 1916-1935
  • The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children
  • The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama
  • The Acharnians
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • Archeology of Violence
  • W.E.B. Du Bois: The Fight for Equality and the American Century, 1919-1963
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America--and What We Can Do About It Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate My Soul Looks Back in Wonder: Voices of the Civil Rights Experience This Far by Faith: Stories from the African American Religious Experience