Start by marking “J. Golden Kimball Stories: Mormonism's Colorful Cowboy” as Want to Read:
J. Golden Kimball Stories: Mormonism's Colorful Cowboy

J. Golden Kimball Stories: Mormonism's Colorful Cowboy

One of Mormonism's most beloved leaders, J. Golden Kimball was known as the Swearing Apostle. Raised as a cowboy, he peppered his sermons with frontier wit and wisdom. James Kimball has collected hundreds of his famous great-uncle's stories in these two warmly affection volumes.
Published March 1st 2001 by White Horse Books (first published October 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about J. Golden Kimball Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about J. Golden Kimball Stories

Nathalie S
Oct 13, 2015 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
J.Golden Kimball is famous (some would say infamous) and beloved throughout the LDS Church for his wit and colorful language. He went to the South on a mission just 18 years after the Civil war where "feelings still ran high against carpet-bagging Yankees, and Mormon missionaries were sometimes beaten, tarred, and feathered-or even killed" and the KKK ran rampant. Story is told of Golden and his companion running into Rev. Weatherbee in Memphis who preached against them. As Weatherbee recognized ...more
Greg
I have had James Kimball's second collection of J. Golden Kimball stories for years, but had never seen the first one until now. Like the other one, this is a humorous collection of what are probably mostly apocryphal stories. It would be better if there were at least some suggestion of truth to them, but as the publisher says in the introduction, "...James had a free hand when it came to verifying the stories...Did someone, somewhere claim Golden once said it? -- that's good enough for us."

So,
Todd Cannon
Dec 09, 2013 Todd Cannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a good laugh
I read this book several years ago but I guess I forgot to add it when I first joined Goodreads and tried to add all of the books I had read. I first heard of J. Golden Kimball when I was a Missionary out in Michigan. There was a tape that many of the Elders had of James Arrington telling J. Golden Kimball stories. As the intro to the last chapter of the book says, "He [J. Golden Kimball] is the shoot-from-the-lip gospel gunslinger that we all secretly wish we had the wit, courage, and spiritual ...more
Chanin
Jan 11, 2010 Chanin rated it liked it
I didn't know much about this man. Now I know too much. :) Actually, it made me realize that he must have had a strong testimony. Anyone that callused and foolmouthed, must have had a testimony to keep serving when he was so rough. He truly seems lovable and so much like my grandfather. Made me miss him.
LaSchelle
Dec 31, 2008 LaSchelle rated it really liked it
Recommended to LaSchelle by: Dad
J. Golden Kimball was a funny General Authority. He barely kept the word of wisdom and had a cowboy vocabulary that kept people wanting to hear more.

Fast read of small stories contributed to his Great Grand Nephew.
Brian
Mar 18, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing
A great quick read. He is very funny and quick on the joke! Can't believe some of the stories they are a bit out there, but most of them are very entertaining! I now understand why 'good' LDS members in Utah didn't much care for him and why 'cowboy/country' members loved him!
Keith
Apr 20, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone needing a laugh
Recommended to Keith by: It was on our headboard
Shelves: humor
I needed some light reading today, and this fit the bill perfectly. (I was down with a sore throat.)
Yvonne
Jan 28, 2008 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
This is hilarious. I laughed through out the book. What an amazing person.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I love J. Golden. So loud and feisty and I feel I can relate to him well.
Brandon Dean
Apr 19, 2009 Brandon Dean rated it liked it
A quirky little book about a quirky general authority.
Katie
This was just a fun-read.....though I don't know how much is really true. You know how stories *expand*. :)
Corri Johnson
Apr 13, 2009 Corri Johnson rated it it was amazing
I needed a good laugh and this was the ticket! Not all Mormon's are serious!!!!!!!
Amanda
Sep 08, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Loved this book
Bonnie
Aug 18, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially Mormons
I absolutely, positively love this book. Such funny stories and so entertaining. You have to read it.
Loretta Lepley
Aug 14, 2013 Loretta Lepley rated it it was amazing
I finished this book is less than a day. But it is so funny! The stories in this book will make you laugh and they will also warm the heart. A very good read to forget all the bad thing is life.
Kelcey Murdoch
Jun 06, 2013 Kelcey Murdoch rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2013
Loved this book. Quick read and super entertaining. :)
Tiffanie
Tiffanie rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2008
Mike Emett
Mike Emett rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2017
Jack Nieporte
Jack Nieporte rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2008
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2009
Holly Kartchner
Holly Kartchner rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
McKenzie
McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Sande
Sande rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Frelyn
Frelyn rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Heber Williams
Heber Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015