Start by marking “The Teachings of Don B.: Satires, Parodies, Fables, Illustrated Stories, and Plays of Donald Barthelme” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A Batman episode slowed to soap-opera speed; a game of baseball played by T. S. Eliot and Willem de Kooning; an illustrated account of a scientific quest for God. These imaginative riffs on reality could only have been generated by the brilliant bad boy of American letters, Donald Barthelme. Here, 63 rare short works by Barthelme — satires and gables, plays for stage and r ...more
Published January 28th 2008 by Counterpoint (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Teachings of Don B., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teachings of Don B.

Aramys
Menudo descubriemiento Barthelme, me ha entusiasmado, el ritmo de sus relatos, lo absurdo de sus temas contado con tanta naturalidad, sus relatos son como pequeños golpes de aire fresco, geniales. Un imprescindible.
Eric Cartier
This is a curious, uneven, posthumous collection that includes Barthelme's signed and unsigned letters to The New Yorker, recipes, short-short stories, photo/illustration collage stories, variations of stories that appeared in Guilty Pleasures and Overnight to Many Distant Cities, and plays that were never produced. Barthelme newcomers ought to begin with either aforementioned book, because the works here run the gamut from treasures to dreck. What's worthy is wonderful, though, and this book wa ...more
wally
this collection is a delight. collage. good word for what barthelme has here.

cue the soundtrack: rescue me! doobie doobie doo! rescue me! pretend i'm a pony.

"the teachings of don b: a yankee way of knowledge"
--i think this is a story about how to get published. beware the michelin man.

"i wrote a letter..."
--to the president of the moon. a friend pointed out marilyn once to me. she's straight up and down in iowa, but up here, she tilts.

"challenge"
---ummmm
----the japanese-made book review----

"t
Miguel Alcázar
[...]

Quitando unos pocos cuentos algo flojos (y me refiero a «Calle 61 Oeste, nº 110», «Regreso», «Muchos han subrayado» y «Mi amada me dijo», narraciones en las que a un tardío Barthelme se le va la olla hasta caer en lo aburrido), el resto de los relatos recogidos en este volumen son tirando a cojonudos por estar escritos con nervio, ser extremadamente divertidos y, sobre todo, que aquí es donde destaca el tito Donald, por el esfuerzo de su autor en confeccionar piezas ficcionales de una orig
Jim Elkins
The consensus on Barthelme is that he launched the postmodern short-story form in the US. A very thoughtful review by James Wolcott ('Bookforum,' February / March 2008, pp. 9-10), sums it up very well:

'Today, I would hazard... the track marks of Barthelme's suave, subversive cunning are to be found less in postmod fiction -- although David Foster Wallace's dense foliage of footnotes suggests a Bathelmean undergrowth and George Saunders's arcade surrealism has a runaway-nephew quality -- than in
Shani Jayant
Barthelme is a master. Guaranteed laughs, pangs of heartache, and resignation come with his portrayal of the state of Western culture, politics, science, and love. One of my top 3 favorite authors. Mind you, a couple of his stories still fall flat or beg to be skimmed over, but that's a small price to pay for a man who takes risks in his writing.
Amanda
Don B.!!! The big standouts here for me were the recipes, weird jottings about the President, and other stuff that feels like it came directly from the author's Moleskine notebook with no edits whatsoever. One essay about the Ed Sullivan Show made me laugh aloud at every sentence, the way only Barthelme's prose can. Other things I enjoyed were the illustrated story "Brain Damage," the play version of a story called "The Conservatory," which is one of my faves in 60 Stories... and everything else ...more
Jeff Jackson
Despite what the wonderful introduction by Thomas Pynchon claims, this is not 'vintage Barthelismo.' There are some choice odds and sods - including dynamite recipes - for the delectation of fans, but the curious should start with '60 Stories.'
Mykle
This was a posthumous release, and while it's got some great stories in it, it somehow doesn't quite have the magic-lyrical quality that some of his other story collections do. Enjoyed and recommended nevertheless.
Matt
previously uncollected stuff. This may be OOP now. It's got a great, lengthy intro written by Pynchon, in his inimitable style.

The first, I believe eponymously-titled, story is a hoot, as are the 'recipes'.
Lee
A hodgepodge, but a fun one. Highlights include "Wasteland" the musical, a reimagining of an episode of Batman, and of course, every illustrated collage piece. Still, probably for diehard Barthelme fans only.
Ian Evans
Donald Bathelme was a strange and wonderful writer, and that's all reflected in this here book. A great gift for any friends about to go off the deep end into Carlos Casteneda-style New Age weirdness.
Robert
I hadn't read Barthelme in so many years that I think I'd forgotten what a great writer he was, funny in a "New Yorker" casual way, yet also inventive and wise.
Luke
The title story is pretty hilarious but a lot of this is half-funny detritus. I should read more Barthelme, I have a feeling that his other stuff is better.
Michael
Probably not the place to go to start reading Bartheleme, which is what I did. There were a few pieces I liked, but I never was able to finish it.
Anne Francia Chavez
One of the craziest books i have ever read. some parts made absolutely no sense, but some parts were absolutely hilarious.
Brian
i only read about 40 pages of this book then left it in a bar. seemed pretty good though.
Andrew
awesome writing style
Joey
weird and hilarious
Ryan Hurl
Ryan Hurl marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Drew Coyle
Drew Coyle marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • High Risk: An Anthology of Forbidden Writings
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • UFOs, JFK & Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • The Collected Writings Of Ambrose Bierce
  • The Complete Works of Isaac Babel
  • The Unseen Hand: An Introduction to the Conspiratoral View of History
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America #63)
  • Hitler Victorious: Eleven Stories of the German Victory in World War II
  • Selected Poetry of Lord Byron
  • It All Adds Up: From the Dim Past to the Uncertain Future
  • The David Icke Guide to the Global Conspiracy (and How to End It)
  • Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty
  • Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department
  • Gods of Eden
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • The End of Days: Fundamentalism and the Struggle for the Temple Mount
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
Donald Barthelme was born to two students at the University of Pennsylvania. The family moved to Texas two years later, where Barthelme's father would become a professor of architecture at the University of Houston, where Barthelme would later major in journalism. In 1951, still a student, he wrote his first articles for the Houston Post. Barthelme was drafted into the Korean War in 1953, arriving ...more
More about Donald Barthelme...
Sixty Stories Forty Stories (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) Snow White The Dead Father The King