Start by marking “Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic, #1)

Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,834 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the latest in a long tradition of young women who've been trained to give their lives in the war against vampires. We've gotten glimpses of these other women over the years on TV, in comics, and in books. Now for the first time, the writers from the television series, including the show's creator, Joss Whedon, and one of its stars, Amber 'Tara' ...more
Published (first published July 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Slayers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Slayers

Meg
I love stories about non-Buffy slayers so much that this was pretty much a guarantee. But I totally have to knock down a star because I wanted so much more! I mean obviously it's the nature of the project, just a few pages for each slayer, but oh maaaaaaaaaan did I want to know more about every single one of them.

Overall Whedon's stories were the strongest, and when I realized Espenson's story was the pretty ladies at the ball story, it made me laugh because hello that's also her "Firefly" epis
Thomas Slyne
Tales of the Slayers consists of 8 individual stories that follow the encounters of the vampire slayers throughout history. Some slayers date all the way back to medieval times while others take place in the future. Not all of the stories have happy endings. One story ends with the vampire slayer being burned at the stake. One of the best things about this collection of comics is that each comic has a different writer and artist. Still, I felt like most of the stories were the same. A slayer hun ...more
Ishanie
I really like this graphic novel brought to the table by Joss Whedon. I read it in about 20 mins and I wish there were more. There's only one thing I'm confused about. If Fray is a slayer from the future, why is she the only one? It doesn't make sense, since Willow cast a spell years and years before Fray that would release all potential slayers into active slayers. Well, maybe this will get answered when I start reading the Fray series and delve deeper into the Buffy series. Great reading eithe ...more
Jordan
I like anthologies. It’s fun to pick up a collection of works by different people, see how different writers handle a common theme or idea. In a graphic novel, that also translates into lots of different art styles, which is also cool. Some you’ll enjoy better than others, but that’s fine because the next person to pick up the book will probably have a whole different set of favorites. In the case of a media tie-in, an anthology has the added benefit of freeing an author from the bounds of what ...more
Ken-ichi
Fun, some excellent artwork, but not worth $15. I feel like in the age of the Internet comics meme, a collection of 5-page stories should have more than ~10 of them. I would love to see the Nazi Germany story expanded. That was one the few that actually touched on some mundane evil.
Jim C
This book is a collection of short stories based on the lore of the slayer from the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It includes stories from the show's creator, writers, and from one actress.

I thought these stories were excellent. If you are a fan of the television show, you will recognize characters and references that are in this book. These stories are set in different eras ranging from the first slayer to the future slayer Fray who has her own graphic novel(which I strongly recomme
Jonathan Coulombe
I was quite disappointed with this one. From the get go, I am not a fan of one shots. I'd rather read a long continuous story arc. That said, really loving Buffy comics, I was thrilled at the chance of seeing a bit of its extended universe. What's in the book, however, is just a bunch of unequal, always too short, stories with more often than not (but not always) sub-par art.

The Fray story and the Navajo ones were clearly highlights. The first slayer and the medieval ones were cool, but in the f
Matthew Lloyd
Dec 07, 2014 Matthew Lloyd rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People watching Season 7 of Buffy
Tales of the Slayers is an odd one. I began to re-read it as my partner and I watched Buffy Season 7, because it was during the first time I watched Season 7 that I originally read it and it had a really good effect. I think, if I were to advise anyone to read this comic book, it would be to do so while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 7, preferably for the first time. In fact, at some point between the episodes "Potential" and "Touched" would be perfect.

The reason for this is because Ta
Amanda
In Tales of the Slayers, the writers from the writers from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show, including the show’s creator, Joss Whedon, and one of its stars, Amber “Tara” Benson, present the tales of past Slayers with the help of some of comics’ greatest artists. Tales of the Slayers is an graphic novel anthology of short stories focusing on different Slayers through time.

Here’s my break down of each story:

“Prologue”
Written by Joss Whedon Art by Leinil Francis Yu
Fans of the show already know
Desiree
This was a good group of short stories. I always love reading/seeing previous or future slayers.

Prologue - 3.5 stars. This was a good first comic in the collection but it wasn't my favorite. I did enjoy seeing a little more of the first slayer, it's always a treat.

Righteous - 5 stars. One of my favorites. I loved both the art and the story immensely.

The Innocent - 5 stars. Another favorite. (view spoiler)
Sharlene
Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) introduces the different Slayers over time. It begins with ‘Prologue’, which is set in ancient Africa and reveals the first Slayer. But my favourites have to be Righteous and Presumption. Righteous is set in a medieval town and Presumption begins in a Jane Austen-ish way, at a lovely ball, and has a wonderful twist that made me immediately reread it, and marvel at the storyline.

Joss Whedon (the creator of ‘Buffy’) wrote three out of eight of the st
Jemiah Jefferson
Excellent expansion of the Buffyverse from a diverse selection of writers and artists, from Tim Sale, Dexter Vines, Jane Espenson, P. Craig Russell, Steve Lieber, Gene Colan, Karl Moline, and even Amber "Tara" Benson, who is a fine writer in her own right. Essential for Buffy fans, even if sometimes the work is a bit slight - hey, they didn't know it would become a global force for good!
Julia
I've put off reading this one for quite some time. I'm generally not a fan of short stories, and a compilation of stories bound to end badly didn't appeal. Against those odds, however, I still enjoyed this book immensely.

Beautifully drawn and well paced, it was cool seeing slayers adapt to the pressures of their times. I particularly loved the Pride & Prejudice installment.
Greg
I often mock Jane Espenson simply for the commentary track on the Firefly episode Shindig because it seems that every good line in the episode, she admits, was actually written by Joss. My first thought on starting her story, then, was "what is with this woman and ball gowns?" My apologies, now, to Ms. Espenson. Everything about her entry in this graphic novella was phenomenal, down to the perfect title, Presumption. It goes without saying that her story MUST be read through twice. Overall, howe ...more
Catherine Siemann
I had forgotten about this one until my movers managed to drop it on the floor in the midst of a hasty packing. (When you have a library of over 1600 books and you're moving on a budget, you pay for cheap movers and you get what you pay for. I may never buy a book that's not for Kindle ever again . . . ) What a delightful surprise -- some of the stories came back to me as I read; the plus was that this collection was written by actual Buffy staffers. Standouts for me were the Jane Austen-era sla ...more
Megan
This is a must read for serious Buffy fans, as it fills in some tiny but awesomely interesting details in the canon of Buffy. The Whedon stories were my favorites and, I think, the best, but I liked David Fury's Navajo story alright and Jane Espenson's story set in Victorian times as well. The "Sonnenblume" was not so much to my liking, though the artwork was striking, if in a sort of grotesque way. Amber Benson's story was pretty good. There's artwork by Tim Sale as well as the amazing Gene Col ...more
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
I always enjoyed the mythos of Slayers throughout the ages in the television show and here we're shown glimpse into some of those girls' lives. While none of the stories are given enough pages to unfold what we do see is really good writing which makes sense because the pieces were penned by those associated with the show. The art however was hit or miss with the biggest hits being Yu, Sale, Colon, and Moline. Overall there isn't a lot to this and I wish there was, which I guess is a good sign t ...more
Lindsay
So hard to rate something made up of shorter stories, each one written by someone different, with separate artists.
Hands down, Joss Whedon is my favourite. His stories speak of experience. The other stories are written by various contributors of the Buffy TV show. Some of them are winners, while other fall short. Severe lack of dialogue was a little annoying at times, although I suppose they're trying to essentially narrate action sequences. Sometimes it would be better if the narrator took a b
Ange (MarmaladeLibby of Libby Blog) Schmelzer
This was an interesting one. Full of short stories written and drawn by different people depicting different slayers throughout history, a bit about them and how they survived or did not. I liked that it was based on the same world as Buffy's so I knew about most of it all ready. I especially like the original slayer who was a character we met on the show years ago. It did leave me wanting much more and didn't seem to be much at all as far as entertainment goes. So, interesting is the best descr ...more
Ryan Mishap
For those who can't get enough Buffy, there's tons of comics out there. Most are "one episode" tripe churned out for the consuming masses, but some are nifty little collections like this one, wherein Slayers throughout history have a little story told. I liked the western a lot. What would a Slayer, commiting to fighting the forces of darkness, decide to do as the Nazis come to power? Pretty good art, good stories, and worth your time if you are a slayer fan. Reign in Blood!
M
Tales of the Slayers does exactly what is says - presenting readers with looks at the past, present, and even future of the Slayer line. Stories include a deeper look at the first Slayer, a girl who saves her town - only to be condemned as a witch, a Slayer who is not quite what she appears to the Victorian public, NYC Slayer Nikki Wood out at the docks, Buffy's encounter with a demonic foe, and a look at Fray's future. A nice little collection of accepted-canon stories.
Lori
So, I have a thing for Whedon. And a bigger thing for Buffy.

And the friend who sent Sandman sent this, too.

Most of the stories are fun. They're tiny little Slayer nuggets -- just the hint of some of the stories that could've been told in this canon. Some are more surprising than others. Many touch on themes from the show. Only one is just bad -- the Slayer fights Nazis? After she'd been a good (or is it bad?) little German first? Ugh.
Meri
Great collection of Slayer stories, with unique art/writing for each one. I really enjoy the mythology of the Vampire Slayer series, so this was right up my alley. I think my favorite story was Presumption. Since I got this book for free in a swap, I don't know much about the series. I'll have to research to see if there are more issues. Good stuff for anyone who loves the Whedon-verse!
Zara
This is kind of cheating, because I read this as part of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales," which is a collection, and I am not done with it yet. But these stories really got me, especially "Righteous" and "Presumption." I continue to be amazed at how I am taking to comic books, especially when they are not about the Buffy characters that got me reading them in the first place.
Claire
Sep 10, 2011 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
As a Buffy fan, I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Each one told the tale of a different Slayer throughout time. I loved the varying art styles, which gave each story its own atmosphere and in some cases reflected the time period it was set in. My favorite was definitely "Righteous" which was set in medieval Europe and told through the eyes of a Watcher in poem format.
Stacey
This is a collection of one-shots about slayers before and after Buffy. Each story is a fantastic peek into a short life. I especially like "Tales" (Melaka Fray), "Presumption" (Elizabeth Weston), "The Glittering World" ('Monster Slayer'), and "Sonnenblume", Anni (Sonnenblume). My complaints are few: They don't say who wrote/contributed to each story, and there's not more of them.
Jeff Raymond
Hi, my name is Jeff and I can't escape the Buffyverse. I enjoyed the Tales of the Vampires collection, but this one did very little for me as a whole. This was surprising, given how much I enjoyed Fray, but go figure. Then again, one of my least favorite parts of Buffy in general was Slayer mythology, but, then again, I actually liked Spike and Anya, so what do I know?
Courtney
I'm not really sure how to rate this book, b/c it is the first graphic novel I've ever read. I told my husband that the story was interesting, but I'd much rather have it in a book. I'm just not there, yet. I'm going to read the one about the vampires, next. Then, on to season 8. I guess I love the story enough not to care about the medium.
Chris
Its more Buffy-verse, so it scratches that itch. One of stories is written by Whedon, which is why I bought this (as opposed to the other Buffy Comics, which I avoid), but it was very, very short. Comic shorts are always a bit iffy, and each one felt a bit rushed. Still, it kept me tided over while waiting for Season 8: The Comic.
Sunil
This was quite good. As its name implies, we get tales of various Slayers throughout history—including Nikki Wood. Some of the stories take darker turns and deepen the mythology by acknowledging the dangers and prejudices Slayers may have encountered. There isn't really a weak story in the bunch, which is impressive.
  • Spike: Asylum
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #3)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Death of Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #29 Buffy Season 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6 Buffy Season 1)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow & Tara (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #25 Buffy Seasons 5 & 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own (Season 9, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This, Part 1 (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Angel: Immortality For Dummies
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Haunted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #23 Buffy Season 5)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #4 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Viva Las Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #5 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: A Stake to the Heart (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #7 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Dust Waltz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic#8  Buffy Season 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Ring of Fire (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #9 Buffy Season 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Play With Fire and Other Stories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #10 Buffy Season 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Remaining Sunlight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #11 Buffy Season 3)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous