Start by marking “Im Schatten der Lichtertore (Der Zauber von Avalon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Im Schatten der Lichtertore (Der Zauber von Avalon, #2)

Im Schatten der Lichtertore (The Great Tree of Avalon #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,020 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Continuing the Great Tree of Avalon epic, three companions embark on separate, far-reaching quests to solve the mystery of the vanishing stars-confronting the very powers of darkness along the way.
Published (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Im Schatten der Lichtertore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Im Schatten der Lichtertore

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Very good, just like the first one!
I'm so incredibly anxious to start the third, so I'll try and d...more Very good, just like the first one!
I'm so incredibly anxious to start the third, so I'll try and do something drastically out-of-the-ordinary and keep things brief!

What I really liked...
- Characters. I love the MC so very much! Tamwyn is an excellent main character because though he's imperfect, he's good *enough* and still likeable. His journey is one of self-discovery and realizing his
Jen
Dec 18, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was actually a 2.5 star book, but I didn't have the heart to round up. This picks up right where the first book of the trilogy leaves off, with the typical splitting of the original fellowship--er, group of companions--to pursue different helpful quests. The thing about this book especially is that Barron's world-building is fantastic. His creatures are delightfully interesting, his settings are incredibly vivid, and the connection of the various roots, trunk, and eventually branches of the G ...more
Kenzie Musgrave
Feb 27, 2016 Kenzie Musgrave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just as good a read as the first! a fantastic, fast read!
Aelvana
Oct 27, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I liked the first book better, this one wasn't quite as easy to predict. The main reason I'm griping is because this felt like some editor said gee, you'd better chop the rest of this into a third book. It built tension wonderfully, and then it was over. I can't really point to a climax. It felt like half a book. And the assassin character seemed really flat and disappointing. I hope he's not dead, or he died way too easily. There were many good things about the book, though. Descriptio ...more
Isabel Reitzes
Oct 11, 2010 Isabel Reitzes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book, although i enjoyed the 1st and 3rd books even more!!
Alina
I didn’t like this book as much as the first one. Yes, the characters are more or less still the same, so there are of course those that I still like, but the story overall felt way too stretched with not that much happening in over 500 pages. Plus, the ending was rather anti-climactic and could have been more like the ending of another part than of the whole book.

Still, the overall story is quite interesting and exciting and though I’m not much of a fan of this type pf nature-loving description
Airi
Nov 10, 2010 Airi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Apr 30, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jerome
Jun 28, 2012 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One-dimensional characters.

1) The evil antagonist Rhita Gawr is essentially undeveloped in this book. Unlike book 1, where you get some character development of Kulwich, enough to dislike him for his brutal enslavement of creatures to build the giant dam, Rhita Gawr gets hardly any character depth in this installment.

2) There was hardly any development of either Tamwyn's or Elli's magical powers, even though it might have helped the characters, and developed the plot.

3) The ending is abrupt and
Melody Raindo
I didn't read any other books in the series, first off, so that probably affects my review. I bought it because it looked interesting... and cheap ^.^

Anyway, about the book. It has a nice story plot, but quite confusing at times because there are around 3 groups of split-off adventures all on their own path. There are a lot of characters that you have to familiarise with, fast, because later it gets really confusing with everybody in different places. The author has a way with beautiful descript
Jenny T
Jul 29, 2011 Jenny T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "good guys" are a little too good; the "bad guys" are a little too cheesy-evil -- still, I've been completely sucked in by this trilogy. The author's world-building continues to impress, as we explore more of the world-tree of Avalon and its connection with (view spoiler). There's plenty of fantasy adventure (including water dragons!), romantic relationships both tender and... otherwise, a healthy dose of tragedy, and a hint of Celtic (and some Welsh!) mythology. ...more
Taylor
May 08, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good, but I honestly liked the first one better. The second book in the series started off having too much romance. For once I would like to read a book where the main characters don't fall for each other. Other than that though, I enjoyed this book and am on my way to the library hoping to get the third one.
Elizabeth Moore
Oct 04, 2014 Elizabeth Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever found in my middle school library and it happened to be on the first day of school as well. I was scared and excited and this book symbolized both as I began reading it and their quest to save the stars and ultimately Avalon. So thank you T.A. Barron for reducing the Shadows on the Stars for me.
Renee
Jul 22, 2008 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th-10th
Shelves: ya-fantasy
In the second book of this fantasy trilogy, the group of friends split into three groups to pursue different quests. Elli, a young priestess, and her companions voyage to the Shadowrealm to destroy a dark crystal that the evil Rhita Gawr has created; Scree travels to an Eagle folk clan to claim vengeance for a friend’s death and Tamwyn travels up the Great Tree of Avalon to try to relight a constellation. Secrets are revealed and mystery abounds in the vast world of Avalon. With dynamic characte ...more
Alex
Apr 11, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this a 3.5 if possible.

A very enjoyable follow up to book one but without any real resolve except to set up the contents of book three.

All the companions find themselves split apart on separate adventures as the evil Rhita gains power.
Jiselle Jones
Getting better. You have a better understanding of the darker characters like Rhita Gawr and Kulwych. The main protagonists don't seem quite as shallow. I like how the author weaves all the different stories and paths together.
Paul Lunger
Sep 20, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 10th Merlin novel, "Shadows on the Stars" continues the the story of Tamwyn, Elli & Scree as they learn of the real threat that Rhita Ghawr poses to both Avalon & Earth itself. The trio split up & across 3 distinctive parts of the story Barron continues to explore this world & adds to both the terror & realism of the fates of these characters & the realm we've gotten to know so very well over the years. We explore the mysteries of the stars, our giant friend Shim & ...more
Caryn
Oct 24, 2007 Caryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the second installment in this series, Shadows on the Stars ends rather abruptly, and without any closure whatsoever. But it was still worth reading, of course.

Barron is messing with my head, because I never thought I'd like any mythical place more than Fincayra (see The Lost Years of Merlin), but Avalon is becoming my new favorite. T. A. Barron's website indicates that he's writing a series to go in between The Lost Years of Merlin and The Great Tree of Avalon. I don't think I'll be able t
Cori
Oct 10, 2014 Cori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You read this giant tome and you end pretty much where you started. It was frustrating.
Kaitlynb
Great book filled with excellent characters, from the lady of the lake, the true heir of merlin, a slave turned priestes, an accidental murderer of his unkown child, a granddaughter of a famous elf, and a small man turned big turned small again. Great plot someone is looking for a way to the stars, while another is trying to steal a crystal with the power to destroy, and yet another is taking over a tribe of eagle people who were previously against their own kind. A book you won't want to put do ...more
Ethenielle
Mar 17, 2007 Ethenielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lost Years of Merlin Fans
This is a great sequal to the great tree of avalon. For those who loved the lost years of merlin series, this continues the story nicely without interferring in the loved original characters. I personally adored the character Shim in this book, who also appeared in the lost years of merlin. Though he is ancient and deaf, Shim the small giant is as loveable as ever.
Ivy
Oct 06, 2009 Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like T.A. Barron
Recommended to Ivy by: My sister
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really cute book, if you like fantasy.
It continues the adventures of Tamwyn, Scree, and Elli as they go there separate ways, Scree to avenge a murdered woman who cared for him, Elli to save the High Priestess of her order, Coerria, and Tamwyn to find a way to relight the stars.
After a while, this story got a little predictable and (dare I say it?) boring. But if you liked the first one, and you like this author, it's definitely worth reading.
Hayley
Aug 18, 2011 Hayley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This second installment of this fantastic journey was excellent... not as excellent as the first, but overall a good sequel. All my favorite characters were further developed - we learned more about them & they developed cognitvely and emotionally as well - and the plot revealed more about, and followed-up with Kulwych & the infamous god of war, Rhita Gawr and Tamwyn & Elli's attempts to foil their plan. On to book three, as soon as I can get to the library.
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in its series. The world of Avalon expands from the darkest roots to the bright branches that reach the stars. The three main characters embark on seperate journey's that will ultimately save their world if all turns out well.

As T.A. Barron's trademark, the world of Avalon is beautifully described and you are sucked in to a world just as mysterious and real as our own.

Jessica
This series continues to be just okay. I'm not really sure why I loved these books so much when I was younger. The writing is so choppy and stilted, the characters are awkward and unrealistic, and the story is slow. In this entire book, the characters don't really accomplish much of anything. I do continue to love the world, though, and maybe that's what captured my imagination as a child.
Music_lover3
I skimmed the beginning and then the end, because I wasn't really interested in reading it anymore and I couldn't really get invested in any of the characters, though the writing was really good. The first book was better, but I think both pale in comparison to the Merlin books written before this series. I don't think I'll be reading the third book in this series.
Heather
For being a fairly long book, not a lot happened. It's one of those "middle" books that I hate reading: necessary to drive the series, but not that fun to read. He's really dragging this series out, and unfortunately his writing has been a little flat. I'll read the last book, because I have to finish the series, but I'm tempted to just forget about it!
Leah
Jun 02, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it was a fun read, I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as I did the first one. Somehow, it failed to get me as interested, and I found myself caring less and less about the main characters. To me at least, they felt a little too generic.

Still, the plot line was interesting enough to make me want to read the third one.
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • Troll Mill (Troll, #2)
  • Grail Prince
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • Wise Woman's Telling (Morgan Le Fay, #1)
  • Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #4)
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • Trial By Fire (Avalon: Web of Magic #6)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • I Am Mordred
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

The Great Tree of Avalon (3 books)
  • Child of the Dark Prophecy (The Great Tree of Avalon, #1)
  • The Eternal Flame (The Great Tree of Avalon, #3)