Start by marking “Merlin und der Zauberspiegel (Merlin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Merlin und der Zauberspiegel (Merlin, #4)

Merlin und der Zauberspiegel (Merlin #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  7,626 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
WHAT THE MIRROR REFLECTS...

Strange wickedness is rising up on the magical Isle of Fincayra. To save his homeland, and his destiny, Merlin is forced to travel to frightening places - both on the land and within himself. Joined by Hallia, the deer-woman he has grown to love, and by his own mischievous shadow, Merlin discovers a magical mirror that can alter anyone's fate. Bu
Taschenbuch, 293 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by Dtv (first published September 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Merlin und der Zauberspiegel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merlin und der Zauberspiegel

Cathy Austin
Jul 08, 2016 Cathy Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories of Merlin are timeless and many. This one is book four of a series about the young Merlin. No matter that I have not read the previous three books, this one was terrific and I will read the next one, The Wings of Merlin. Meant for young adults, it is a very adult read, a fast paced adventure tale, and even better, a foreshadowing of what's to come in the older Merlin's life when the two meet each other in two different worlds, a delightful encounter near the end of the book. In this ...more
Lindsey
Probably my least favorite of the four I've read thus far, but still an enjoyable installment in the Merlin Saga. In a weird way, there's this part at the end that is simultaneously both my favorite and least favorite of the series - without giving too much away, young Merlin meets someone he very much did not expect to meet, but this someone is a person that most of us reading are going to be intimately familiar with through stories and films. The characterization of said person seemed to be wa ...more
Ea Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first three books of T.A. Barron's Lost Years series were kind of light on the Arthurian aspects, but that changes dramatically in "The Mirror of Fate." The story is somewhat less enchanting and swift than the previous Merlin tales (particularly with the ballymag), but it's still an intriguing time-spanning adventure.

Hostile marsh ghouls have started rising in the Haunted Marshes of Fincayra, and Merlin and Co. happen to have a mission there (to find Merlin's magical sword). There Merlin enc
Benjamin Thomas
The fourth book of the 5 book “Lost Years of Merlin” series is the first to really begin to get into the more traditional Arthurian lore. Previous volumes have confined themselves to more light-hearted adventure, sometimes with serious consequences, but never with a very far-ranging plot structure. This book begins the same way but thanks to the introduction of a mirror/portal, young Merlin is able to meet his wizened older self and learn much about his ultimate destiny. But only some of it. He ...more
Kami
Jun 03, 2009 Kami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
- The story wasn't very good in this one. Merlin kinda just traveled around. It got better about half way through.

- The Ballymag's dialogue is annoying. I had to slow down to read what he said.

- Merlin hasn't said chants to do magic before. Why does he need to now?

- Merlin is still very arrogant and ornery. Will he ever learn?

- I loved that they added Ector into the story!

- I think I'm getting burnt out on these books. I will probably take a break and read something else before tackling the last
Lindsical
Aug 22, 2012 Lindsical rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume was a lot of fun. I liked getting to know Hallia and her budding relationship with Merlin. Although I was quite disappointed there was no Rhia or Caipre - two of my favorite characters.
The author is really getting more into the Arthurian legends and lore now and it's exciting! I can't give away any spoilers but some very important characters have begun to show up and I love it. He's doing it in a pretty creative way.
Jf Li
May 23, 2017 Jf Li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant penultimate book with a great twist to it. This one is just as good as the final book, my favorite in the series.
Ashley
Dec 26, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Mirror of Merlin is the slowest of the series thus far. It wasn’t until about 150 pages into the book (only about a 250 page book) that things really began to happen. I just felt like this was a little slower than the plot should have moved. Maybe if something more important happened to Merlin at the beginning of the story it would have been more interesting. Basically, we just learn that he is trying to control his shadow, which he is having a hard time with and that his art of Leaping isn’ ...more
Elle
Dec 08, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first three books of T.A. Barron's Lost Years series were kind of light on the Arthurian aspects, but that changes dramatically in The Mirror of Merlin. The story is somewhat less enchanting and swift than the previous Merlin tales (particularly with the ballymag), but it's still an intriguing time-spanning adventure.

Tyler
Jul 25, 2011 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The Lost Years of Merlin series has always been hit and miss for me, and Mirror of Merlin remains that way with one true gem of redemption.

On the positive side, I love Barron's "foreshadowing" as Merlin thinks and has ideas about his future; being familiar with the myths and stories surrounding Merlin's life, it is delightful to read about his life as a teenager when he first has the desire to grow a beard, or live backward in time, or have a crystal cave for his home. I also love Barron's famil
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if you could go back in time to talk with your younger self and warn him/her about impending danger? Or what if you could look into a mirror as a teenager and see the person you will become? Well, that’s what the mysterious mirror in the middle of the Haunted Marsh allows Merlin to do. But first he must travel to the very centre of the swamp with the deer-woman he loves in order to retrieve the sword Nimue stole from him.

“Mirrors, I assure you, can cause more pain than broadswords, more ter
♥Xeni♥
Okay, this is where I really started to despise Merlin. First off, his love life: okay, great, you can turn yourself into a deer now (on a side note, why a deer? Don't you know that they get shot and eaten?? Mr. Barron you should have done it differently.) but Merlin, you don't have the courage to stay with the love of your life? It's fate that you're both to be together for only a short time and then you see your own death? Really?

Okay, you can probably tell by my sarcasm that I'm more than a
Alex
Oct 02, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series, and I am so happy I can read these again and still feel the magic. In this adventure Merlin is stillll plagued by self doubt and that weird voice in him that tells him not to listen to what his tasks are. I really love this writing and the continuation of this series though I have a complaint about the way Shim and that weird seal creature talk.

I get it, Lloyd Alexander had to have one, Tolkin, Lucas, and I thought Barron would be satisfied with just one, but no he ha
Jen
May 18, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mirror of Fate is book 4 of Barron's chronicles of the young years of Merlin. I quite enjoyed how this book played more with traditional Arthurian legend than the past books. Little hints that made me smile to things more overt. Merlin is still a bit prideful, show-offy, a little complainy/despairing, and sometimes acts before he thinks. But he is only 15, so it is all about him growing up and making mistakes - which we have all done. I see him starting to grow and learn more in this book and ma ...more
Emily
Sep 08, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outside-reading
This one was the odd one out of the series. It was much shorter, about half the size of the other books. For once, Merlin isn't rushing around as fast as he can to save all of Fincayra or something just as important. While it’s just as essential to the series as the others, it’s a nice break from the panic and immense weight of responsibility that’s in all the other books. Even so, Merlin goes through all the development that is a staple and really the whole point of the series.
Tori Cole
I'm rereading this series--one of my favorite from young adulthood--and although I love the attempt to dip more into Arthurian legend here (my one true love), I thought this book had far inferior pacing to the others in the series. Curious to see how Book 5 turns out.

Unlike others, though, I loved the ballymag and his silly dialect (better than Shim's). Just wish he had a more clear part to play in the story.
Beau
May 22, 2014 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't get cohesion between parts in this one. It's almost as if it's two story lines, meshed into one. Not that that's bad, just disorienting in comparison to the series.

For a reant on how things just "happen" that affect things go here

For me it was just a book to go through to get to the last one in the series, although I must emphasize, IT IS LARGELY THE RESULT OF MY OWN INEPTITUDE. :p
Karline05 Un brin de lecture
Un quatrième tome qui nous présente une vraie évolution dans le caractère assez exécrable de Merlin. A nouveau, on souffre de quelques longueurs en début de récit puis le rythme s'accélère. Quelques rencontres et révélations font de ce tome un tournant des aventures de la jeunesse de Merlin. C'est effectivement une saga très jeunesse mais assez captivante et addictive au final.

Corrine
Jul 23, 2015 Corrine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book series lumps many religious worldviews into one, so it seemed a spiritually potentially confusing read for a young audience. It was average as far as how well it was written, and I didn't think the character development of Merlin was very well done. But mostly I didn't care for the one-religion-from-all-religions presentation.
Denae Christine
I liked this book better than the first three. The pacing seemed more intense, the danger more real, the actions more believable. I still think the magic needs more definition, and I wish I understood exactly how the second sight was different from regular sight (sometimes Merlin sees less than Hallia, sometimes more).
The climax was a tad rushed and predictable, but otherwise decent.
Jessica Bingham
Feb 14, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf, fantasy
I can't believe this magical series is over!! I would gladly read more books about Merlin growing up if Barron would write them, especially after Merlin meets his older self....ahhhh!!! I want to know about the owls, and ice cream, and Halia!!! What happened to her? I have so many questions!!!
Mycoton32
Feb 04, 2014 Mycoton32 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
14/20
alors que j'avais aimé les tomes précédents, j'ai trouvé que le début de celui-ci trainait en longueur alors que la fin est davantage rythmée ! Mais encore une fois l'auteur arrive à nous donner envie de lire la suite !
Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group
Oct 01, 2008 Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who loves fantiseys
Recommended to Mr. Kenney's Happy Hippies Literature Group by: no one
Merlin a young 16 year old,has lost his sword in the swamp of horrors and has to find it cause it is part of his destney. when in the swamp he finds a hurt magpie and heals it. later he finds a key that can unlock any door or any spell. then he finds a mirror and goes in it and finds his older self. it is good
Monika Cho
Dec 15, 2016 Monika Cho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been more than a decade since I last read this book and I found it to be a little more drawn out than I remembered. Still, the charm of rereading old favourites is being able to spot the details and links that you weren't able to before. I'm thoroughly enjoying the series so far.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karolinde (Kari)
This isn't my favorite of the books, even though there is some really fun play on words. Basically, Merlin runs into his past and future nemisis Nimue. She uses her powers to return to the past in order to kill Merlin before he can become the powerful wizard of her future.
Carly Jacobs
I think its been at least three years since I read the previous book in this series, and I always meant to get back to it, but didn't. After finally ordering the this one, I'm ready for the sequel. A fun series that sets up the arthurian legends.
Céline FrenchAlps
I was going to put 2 stars till I arrived to the second part of the book, where Merlin finally finds the mirror. The first part was not really important to me, I think it took too much time compared to the few actions that take place.
Kevin L.
Nov 15, 2008 Kevin L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Penelope
Jan 02, 2015 Penelope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • I Am Mordred
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • The Arkadians
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Mammoth Book of King Arthur
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • Firegold
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • Mordred, Bastard Son
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. He is the winner of the de Grummond Medallion for “lifetime contribution to the field of children’s and young adult literature” and many other awards. T. A. Barron is the author of more than 30 highly acclaimed books, many of which are international bestsellers. They include The Lost Years of Merlin (now being d ...more
More about T.A. Barron...

Merlin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Lost Years (Merlin Saga, #1)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • A Wizard's Wings (Merlin Saga, #5)
  • The Dragon of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #6)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin Saga, #8)
  • The Great Tree of Avalon (Merlin Saga, #9)
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin Saga, #10)
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin Saga, #11)