Start by marking “The Riverside Milton” as Want to Read:
The Riverside Milton

The Riverside Milton

The first one-volume anthology of John Milton's complete poetry and selected prose to be published in over 30 years, The Riverside Milton reflects the highest quality and most current scholarship. As editor of The Milton Quarterly for 30 years, Roy Flannagan is uniquely qualified to survey Milton's work. Pedagogy includes a comprehensive index designed to help students fro ...more
Published March 9th 1998 by Cengage Learning (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Riverside Milton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riverside Milton

Lada Fleur
Sep 24, 2014 Lada Fleur rated it it was amazing
Paradise Lost. Le paradis perdu. First-class book. Milton is a born genius. He was a blind when he dictated his Paradise lost to his daughter. In this sense his blindness and his creativity goes in pair with that mythic one, that of Homer's. Written in blankverse. In the right British tradition. Moral, Christan, Puritan. Question of God. Milton was Cromwell's secretary. His Paradise lost is about the Authority in epic allegorical style. It is a human epic, there is no a super hero, a supernatura ...more
May 12, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the classics
John Milton was an amazing man - did you know that he read every single book in print at the time of his life? (Not many, granted, but still!) There's a lot of good stuff in here, but really you could skip it all if you just read Paradise Lost, Milton's epic poem about the Fall of Lucifer from Heaven and Adam and Eve from Eden. I read it as a part of a college class my sophomore year, and it totally ignited a enduring fascination with the Fall and its consequences. It is an epic poem, which mean ...more
Nathan
Oct 21, 2007 Nathan rated it really liked it
It took them long enough to put this together. The footnotes are a little bit eccentric, but its still nice to have all the puritan bastard's works in one place.
Sana
May 07, 2017 Sana rated it it was amazing
Love his work.
Mike
Feb 13, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
A vast, heavy, expensive, and cumbersome book but also the best overall survey of Milton's literary output ever brought together in one volume. Overall, Roy Flannagan did a masterful job on this book and it's clear it was very much a labor of love. Some of his footnotes seem overly lengthy but all the same, there are real gems in these notes that are absent from other scholarship I've encountered on Milton. There is a feeling of triumph in being able to approach Milton in one volume and know you ...more
Dylan
Aug 13, 2008 Dylan rated it it was amazing
For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book: who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were, in the eye.
And though all the winds of doctrine were let lo
Colin
Between January 1st 2006 and January 14th 2010 I undertook to read The Riverside Milton, beginning with "Paradise Lost" and then going back to read the rest of Milton's works in the order presented by Riverside. I am in awe. Milton may well be the Vergil of the English tongue; his philosophy and theology as important as his art. It gave great pleasure to read even juvenalia and correspondence of Milton's; the only time I did not find pure delight with him was in his dense theological treatises, ...more
ManuFactured Artists
May 07, 2011 ManuFactured Artists rated it really liked it
This is the edition from which I was introduced to Milton. It is edited by Roy C Flannagan.

The Riverside Milton contains the complete works of John Milton (poetry and prose) and is densely annotated, but many of Flannagan's notes--though he does appear to want to present opposing views to his own--state as fact several points (mainly concerning Milton's theodicy and his views on freewill and determinism) which are still up for grabs, for this reader.

This is a great introductory edition for rea
Candace
May 31, 2011 Candace rated it it was amazing
Yep, I'm a dork, but I'd give this one six stars if I could. (Except for the footnotes on Lycidas. No, Mr. Flannagan, I do NOT need to know that much about the composition history of the poem, I just need you to define strange words for me and unpack Milton's archaic references.)

Used this book for my first Milton-centric English class and fell even further in love with Milton in the process. Found myself even coming to like the editor, whose footnotes possess the occasional personal quirk when y
Buffy
Jun 23, 2008 Buffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've never picked up JM before, now is your chance to own the best collection you'll ever find complete with excellent footnotes and a hilarious cutting remark from Milton himself regarding his own portait that's featured at the front of this book. This is the volume we used to learn about Milton's works in our "Poetry of Milton" class with John Rumrich at UT-Austin. This was my absolute FAVORITE class during my five years at UT! Damn, graduation's a bitch.
Michael
Feb 21, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained. There were some parts that dragged, and it's a lot of work to read and understand it. Like Shakespeare, the more you read it, the easier it gets. The Adam and Eve characters are quite interesting and for that reason alone make these stories worth reading. Paradise Lost is a rather insightful work regarding The Fall and Adam and Eve.
Lindsay
I was not the best Milton student by any stretch of the imagination, but I survived total immersion fairly well. Oh, "Comus." Oh, Areopagitica. Really, Paradise Lost is what saves it all.
Jeremy
Read for Dr. Donnelly's Milton course at Baylor (Spring 2014). Paradise Lost, Areopagitica, Tenure of Kings and Magistrates, and Treatise of Civil Power were on my list for prelims.
Jess
Jan 31, 2009 Jess rated it it was ok
I thought that if I gave Milton another try, I'd finally like him. Maybe I'm still not mature enough to enjoy the density of his work. I appreciate Milton's contribution to literature and I think his rants against Catholicism are hilarious, but he bores me into deep sleeps time and time again.
Vpal23
Oct 23, 2010 Vpal23 rated it it was amazing
This should go right next to your copy of Riverside Shakespeare
Joy Barr
Feb 03, 2009 Joy Barr rated it liked it
Shelves: college
Oh yeah, baby.
James Bruce
Aug 30, 2015 James Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Milton is great, I don't care what Eliot says. :) (even if Eliot is my favorite poet)
Tom

Prose
more...
Ted
Aug 20, 2007 Ted rated it liked it
i took a star off, because this is the heaviest book I had to carry around in college.
Ernie
Jul 23, 2007 Ernie rated it it was amazing
My favorite edition of my favorite poet (although I prefer the Hughes version at times).
Dave
To be honest, I only read Samson Agonistes (and only for class). Maybe one day I'll go back and read Paradise Lost and Regained.
Anittah
Skimmed. Not my bag. Granted, I know jack about judeo xian anything so most references meant nothing to me. His thoughts on education ("an academy of 150 persons") were interesting.
Corey
Feb 26, 2014 Corey rated it it was ok
I hate Milton.
Matthew Palardy
Matthew Palardy rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Amanda Williams
Amanda Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Andrew Vranic
Andrew Vranic rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Isen
Isen rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
F.X. Altomare
F.X. Altomare rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Doktor Murkes gesammeltes Schweigen und andere Satiren
  • Collected Tales, Sketches, Speeches and Essays 2: 1891-1910
  • The Classical Tradition: Greek and Roman Influences on Western Literature
  • Too Far Afield
  • The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella
  • L'Allegro, Il Penseroso, Comus, and Lycidas
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • The Major Works