Start by marking “David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr, #1)” as Want to Read:
David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr, #1)

David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,810 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Earth is on the brink of catastrophe. The vital foodstuffs supplied by its Martian colony are being poisoned. Working in secret, the ruling Council of Science sends David Starr, its youngest member, to the Martian farmlands to discover the truth behind the murders...

"Ingeniously combines mystery with science fiction."
- The New York Times Book Review

"A thrilling tale ...en
Paperback
Published December 1st 1971 by Signet (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about David Starr, Space Ranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Starr, Space Ranger

Kylie
Mar 01, 2014 Kylie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kylie by: My Dad
Shelves: favorite-books
David Starr, Space Ranger was the first of the Lucky Starr books I found in my Dad's collection -- I had already eaten through all the Robot/Foundation novels from Asimov by this stage, and the Lens Men by E.E.Doc Smith -- and I just kept looking through all the old battered books. My Dad's editions are actually the editions in which Asimov went under a pseudonym, though I later went out and bought other editions from second hand bookshops to add to my own collection.

I adored David Starr, I ado
Serena!
Io non capirò mai alcune scelte editoriali sulla traduzione dei titoli delle opere.. Da "David Starr, space ranger" passiamo a "Lucky Starr il vagabondo dello spazio". Ma dai!! Ma mica rende allo stesso modo! Inannzitutto non ho ben capito perché in italiano il povero David diventa fortunato.. Magari il mistero si rivolve nel secondo volume, chi lo sa!
Poi passare dal cazzutissimo "Space ranger" a "Vagabondo dello spazio".. Ce ne passa di acqua sotto i ponti! Prima di capire il senso di vagabondo
Rob
The world of Isaac Asimov's Lucky Starr is a young science geek's wildest dream come true. Imagine: a thousand years from now, the solar system's secret agents and protectors of the weak are...scientists! —Who don't mind showing off what they know!

Dr. Asimov often lamented the pernicious and ever-growing current of anti-intellectualism in American society. Was his series of young-adult Lucky Starr novels merely the public expression of an escapist fantasy universe, or did he intend to win young,
Kristen
A fun science fiction mystery. Asimov owes a lot to the classics of the mystery genre in terms of how he structures his stories, and this one is a great example. A quick read, too.
Timothy Darling
This story is truly a product of its times, and I suspect Asimov, though most authors would never admit this, was somewhat embarrassed by it. I've not seen why he used a pseudonym for this series, but I could guess. It, like Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Corbett behaves like a serial children's novel. It is part SF, part mystery, and part superhero story. Since the superhero element is so close to the crisis of the story, I won't reveal it, but suffice it to say that it is a gimmick that might ...more
Abraão
Admito que esperava uma maior complexidade, contudo a investigação do Conselho de Ciência - e sua própria existência como agentes de campo - foi bem descrita e adequada. Uma leitura rápida e interessante sobre o Patrulheiro do Espaço.
Barak
Quite enjoyable if somewhat naivete nowadays. And there is of course the added value of nostalgia (I have devoured the Lucky Starr series of books approximately 30 years ago, not recalling a thing from then except that it was very enjoyable). Unlike the TV series MacGyver, which was a total disappointment when trying to re-watch it at a later age, you can never get too wrong with Asimov.
Andrew
It was fun to see how Asimov predicted the future would be like way back when he wrote this (eg. there are force fields but people still use film for video), and overall the plot was pretty decent. At points the book felt a little... naive, in the same way that the old James Bond films aren't as gritty/realistic as the new ones, however there is charm in this, just like there is charm in the old Bond films.

There are a few points that detracted from the realism of the story a bit, like when Davi
Damon Alan
I'll be honest, this book probably is four stars instead of five. But this is the book, the very first, in a long line of Sci-Fi masterpieces I've read in my life. This book sat in my seven year old hands and inspired me enough to alter my wants for a lifetime. To be honest, without Asimov, I don't think I'd have ever wrote a book myself. This particular edition was published in the '80s, but this was originally from the '50s. A golden age of our expectations for the future of humanity in space. ...more
Andrew
Ok I will admit I came across these while reading the Asimov's world of fantasy series and I tried and tried but I could not resist opening one up and a seeing what it was like and well honest that is how it all started.
The books I have are from Lightening - A now defunct younger reader publisher. I was just getting through my first Asimov books (Pebble in the Sky and Earth Is Room Enough) and I saw these were in the process of being published yes in 1988 they were being reprinted. So I hungril
Remo
Tras mi reciente mudanza he sacado del trastero todos mis libros infantiles y juveniles (Hollister, tres investigadores, Elige tu propia aventura...), y descubrí dque de las novelas de Lucky Starr me faltaban dos, que procedí a encargar de urgencia y leer ávidamente. En esta primera novela de la serie el querido maestro Asimov nos presenta al Héroe, listo, guapo, atlético y en general un machomán ario de pura cepa. Están sucediéndose los envenenamientos en la Tierra y toda la comida repsponsable ...more
Christophe
DAVID STARR
Justicier de l'espace
Les poisons de Mars
Les pirates des astéroïdes
Les océans de Vénus
Les lunes de Jupiter
La fournaise de Mercure (inédit)
Les anneaux de Saturne (inédit)
Un cycle qui fleure bon la science-fiction des années cinquante. A l'époque, Asimov se détacha de la masse par ses qualités ordinaires de réalisme. Il ne fit pas de son héros David «Lucky» Starr un émule de James Bond ou de John Carter, comme l'enseigne Flandry de Poul Anderson, mais un esprit clair, mesuré,
Adrián Sánchez
Entretenido, se nota que está dirigido a una audiencia de lectores más jovenes que los usuales de la saga de robots o fundación aunque no deja de ser interesante, una aventura de ciencia ficción no tan enredada y fácil de digerir, hay elementos que me recuerdan un poco a la saga de Ender de Orson Scott Card aunque Lucky Starr por supuesto salió mucho antes. Me gustó.
Pere Sanmartí
Genial aventura espacial de la ma del gran mestre de la ciència ficció del segle XX que em fa recordar les aventures d'en Miles Vorkosigan. Hi ha aspectes que han envellit moltíssim (el coneixement de Mart als anys 50 era molt escàs i allunyat del que sabem ara!) però amb un petit esforç intel•lectual se superen facilment i de seguida t'embriagues d'una aventura i un personatge força interessant! Amb ganes de llegir la resta de llibres de la sèrie! ^^
Kharen
Isaac Asimov crea un superheroe... espacial

Todo muy lógico, científico y lleno de aventura, como nos acostumbro, pero sumele un superheroe, con su propio disfraz y métodos, haga de cuenta Conan.

Crímenes intergalacticos, violencia, extraterrestres, lo tiene todo
Edle Julve
Literalmente, historias de vaqueros en el espacio. No esta mal, pero es de sus primeros tiempos como escritor. En novelas posteriores su trabajo se enriquece mucho mas.
Son historias para pasar el rato.
B
If this is all you read about this book, know this: It's supposed to be Isaac Asimov's first published novel. So it has that interest.

On the whole, it's a little more clever than one would expect. This all feels like a big prelude. So it's not great as a standalone. But it shows a lot of foresight to try to set up this character.

That said, it's not fully clear how much there is. He's a sort of all-around super fellow who gets a very particular magic power from a sort of machina ex deus.

So if it
Maryam A
3.5 - 4 سری کتاب های لاکی استار سری جذابی برای نوجوونها می تونه باشه، اون موقع خیلی دوستشون داشتم . شاید هنوز هم دارم نمی دونم
Zuzana
YA sci-fi mystery. It's Asimov so it's not bad just a bit too juvenile for me.
Daniel
Perhaps a little more advanced than the typical YA book, and yet just a tad too simplistic for the average sci-fi reader, this book maybe has difficulty finding its audience.

I love the classic Tom Swift and Tom Corbett young-adult series', so this seemed like a natural progression to me. Unfortunately, when I found this, I was already too old for it and reading more advanced science fiction. I will give it another shot again someday, but I recommend it to the advanced young adult reader with a p
Paul
1952 sci-fi superhero cuteness.
Henry Uicab Canché
Corto y ameno como suele ser Asimov.
Ed
#1 in the Lucky Starr series, a youth oriented space opera. Penned by Isaac Asimov as Paul French.

Lucky Starr series - David is eating in a restaurant when one of the patrons dies. David is soon on his way to Mars to try and understand the source of the poisonings. David encounters John Bigman Jones but in spite of the help that he gives David, David's life is nearly ended more than once. Eventually David figures out how the poisoning was done, and who the poisoners are.
Remo
Con Lucky Starr nació mi amor por la cifi y la divulgación científica. Recuerdo haberme leído toda la serie (eran seis, creo) en un verano, justo después de Los Hollister. Asimov, además de escribir una saga de aventuras para niños, hace divulgación científica de la buena, metiendo en los libros muchos datos que en el momento de escribir los libros (años 50) eran punteros. Luego supimos que los océanos de Venus no eran tan agradables. Grande Asimov.
Steven
Steve
This is a quick, nice, enjoyable read. If one is looking for deep character development or a multifacited story arc this is not the book to read. Instead this book is like a tv episode: plot not character driven, easy to follow, and enough action to keep one interested. Written in the early 50's this book would probably be catagotrized as a teen novel today, but still was an enjoyable read.
Sydney More
While the character of David Starr is too perfect to be an interesting hero, this book was a fun read. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the second book in the Space Ranger series, with the hopes that Starr will be better developed. Overall, I enjoyed the concept, and the page-count was low enough that I didn't mind the weakly-developed protagonist.
Sarah Adamson
This series would now be labelled Young Adult and was the first science fiction I remember reading outside of Star Wars and Star Trek novels. This is an adventure book about a hero, David Starr, who is modest and yet very human with human faults.
I love this book and this series and will introduce them to my daughter as soon as she is old enough!
Jeff Cope
Overall, I enjoyed this first entry in the Lucky Starr series. However, I felt the overall plot was a bit mundane for a sci fi adventure. The story could easily be transplant to any large farm on earth in almost any era. Was hoping for a bit more starfaring adventure. We'll see what the rest of the series holds in store.
Amor
Novela juvenil en la que Asimov intentaba que los jóvenes de los años 50 se interesasen por la astronomía y el sistema solar.
Entretenida
  • Islands in the Sky
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Secret of the Lost Race
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • The Face (Demon Princes, #4)
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Time and Again
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • The Beast
  • Trader to the Stars
  • The Star Beast
  • Wolfbane
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

Lucky Starr (6 books)
  • Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury (Lucky Starr, #4)
  • Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter (Lucky Starr, #5)
  • Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn (Lucky Starr, #6)
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)