Start by marking “Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage” as Want to Read:
Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage

Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Geophysicist M. King Hubbert predicted in 1956 that U.S. oil production would reach its highest level in the early 1970s. Though roundly criticized by oil experts and economists, Hubbert's prediction came true in 1970.

In this revised and updated edition reflecting the latest information on the world supply of oil, Kenneth Deffeyes uses Hubbert's methods to find that world
Published August 31st 2003 by Princeton University Press (first published September 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hubbert's Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hubbert's Peak

I was hoping for more of a discussion of the strong points and short-comings of Hubbert’s predictions, but that isn’t what is contained here. Oh well, there was still a lot of interesting information: nearly all oil fields lie between 7,500 and 15,000 feet in depth; tar sands are basically oil fields that have been exposed via erosion; there is really only one spot left on earth – the South China Sea – that may hold significant undiscovered oil deposits; whatever measures we institute now won’t ...more
Comprehensive and detailed, sometimes even down to industry anecdotes, it reviews oil and adjacent fossil fuel areas in historical and industry segment perspectives. With numerous illustrations, schemes and facts enlisted, author gives no single gap on one single message - peak oil has started and now we are on the way down. And then suddenly he pushes reader into hands of nuclear energy lobby like if nuclear *fuel* rods are not excavated from ground only once and arguments both laughable and sk ...more
R. Hill
A decent piece of work from a real life oil company geologist about the concept of Peak Oil and how it might affect us in the years to come. A lot of personal anecdotes and a lot of real geology made it a decent read. A little bit too much of the "look at the great things I have done in my great life" angles to give it a 5 star rating.
Fairly light read that makes a lot of concrete predictions. Drawing on ideas from 1970's and 1980's this book was published in 2001. Turns out they pinned down the point of global peak oil pretty precisely. (Spoiler alert) it happened in 2005. The world will never produce as much oil as it did 6 years ago. OPEC is at maximum production and will remain so forever.

It took the Earth and Sun over one hundred million years to produce 2 trillion barrels of oil. We burned half of it in 150 years. Ther
John Kaufmann
Get's into some of the technical evidence for peak oil. A good intro to the subject - I believe it's still valid, though fracking has temporarily put it on hold.
This is a very important book for everyone to read,although it can be a bit difficult for those without a Geology background. This book was written by a Geologist and it explains how our fossil fuel resources were created over millions of years and why they will run out in the not too distant future. He also makes a start at discussing some of the alternative fuel options we need to focus on today before we hit the "cliff". Interestingly enough, he used to work for an oil/gas company which makes ...more
This book is a must for a basic understanding of what Hubbert predicted long ago - that global oil production would peak around the turn of the 21st century, with dramatic results. Written off as an eccentric, his predictions of the US oil peak came true during his lifetime. Deffeyes does a good job of tying in the giant issue of peak oil to the predictions of Hubbert without ranting.
The content of this book was very interesting. I gave it 3 stars because most of the book was not about peak oil, but rather about how oil was created, where it is found and how it is extracted. This is all valuable information, but titling alone knocked it down a star from what this book should have received.
An interesting book and great that it is written by a geologist, but I found his writing style to be overly colloquial in a very forced way. Also, in light of recent developments some of his conclusions don't hold as much weight as they probably did when this was written 10 years ago.
Marc Brackett
The math behind Hubberts model is simple and this book explains the situation well. Was hard to find a shortcoming or flaw in the entire line of reasoning.
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: science
A must read for those that seek to understand the current crisis in energy
Jun 10, 2007 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: oil
the first book to really make peak oil explicit.
Good intro to petroleum geology for those of us who have no desire to be a petroleum geologist.
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Melinda Gibbs
Melinda Gibbs marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Joanne added it
Sep 21, 2015
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
  • Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil
  • Gusher of Lies: The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence"
  • Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
  • The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • Food Politics
  • Wallace Stegner and the American West
  • Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms
  • Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
  • Bankrupting Physics: How Today's Top Scientists are Gambling Away Their Credibility
  • Religion in the Making