Start by marking “Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English” as Want to Read:
Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English

Origins: A Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English

This etymological dictionary gives the origins of some 20,000 items from the modern English vocabulary, discussing them in groups that make clear the connections between words derived by a variety of routes from originally common stock. As well as giving the answers to questions about the derivation of individual words, it's a fascinating book to browse thru, & include ...more
Published November 1st 1977 by MacMillan Publishing Company, Inc. (NY) (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Origins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origins

Chris
Feb 12, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
A librus mirabilis! This is the book I've been waiting for for decades, not knowing its been available for the past 6 decades, I found in a charity shop this week. If you want to really wallow in words and their histories, this is the book to wander in, endlessly it seems. Cannot imagine how Partridge wrote it solo, as he evidently did. It's a monster delight of around 1000 pages in two columns. Wow!
Jason
Feb 27, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
Sweet! I love words. Christmas present to myself thanks to generous gift certificates from family. When I can't sleep this is a fun book to ponder. The only thing I'm worried about is the cr*p binding on this Burton-sized tome. I'm sure it will be falling apart within a decade--why would you bind a reference book like this?!
Gabriel
Feb 05, 2008 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Endlessly fascinating and tremendously useful-- want to know why a word seems to have so many associations? Here it is, the map to our language.
Steven Burgauer
Oct 29, 2016 Steven Burgauer rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed every page of this study.
G.C. Neff
Jul 17, 2015 G.C. Neff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mother was very interested in the original meanings of words. After I got this book for her (the 1983 edition, which has the same ISBN as the 1988 volume, it seems), she and I both got into the etymology of many words. I soon bought a copy for myself, so that we could both use a copy in our discussions.

My only complaint is that this should have been a longer book, as this one was so fascinating to both of us. There are words we wished to look up, only to find that they weren't included. Still
sologdin
Mar 02, 2015 sologdin rated it it was ok
for the word nerds. will increase your deployment of the etymological fallacy. that said, if one can make some kind of slick derridean/bakhtinian argument about how the fullness of the etymology is incorporated into the signifier via its historical semiotic chain, the alleged fallacy becomes a feature rather than a bug.
Jeremy Cantor
Jeremy Cantor rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2010
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Joelle Steele
Joelle Steele rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Billy
Billy rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2009
Billycongo
Billycongo rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2010
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Gregg Miller
Gregg Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Vincent
Vincent rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Susie
Susie rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Robert Brokenmouth
Robert Brokenmouth rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2011
John Boettiger
John Boettiger rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Jordan Dallas
Jordan Dallas rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Grace Allison
Grace Allison rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
S.
S. rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2010
Shantiika
Shantiika rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012