Start by marking “I am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang!” as Want to Read:
I am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang!

I am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang!

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  4 reviews
I Am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang! is the amazing true story of one man's search for meaning, fall from grace, and eventual victory over injustice.In 1921, Robert E. Burns was a shell-shocked and penniless veteran who found himself at the mercy of Georgia's barbaric penal system when he fell in with a gang of petty thieves. Sentenced to six to ten years' hard labor ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by University of Georgia Press (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about I am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang!

Nancy
This was a very interesting account of a white Northern man's time on (and escaping from) Georgia chain gangs. The title, with its exclamation point, gives you a good idea of the flavor of the writing. The edition I read came with a long introduction detailing the role of the chain gang in the evolution of Georgia's post-Reconstruction economy.
Jenn Alton
This was a quick read. I really liked the conflict between staying and facing the "justice" system or escaping the injustice and reforming oneself with the constant fear of being caught.
David Carraturo
This was an excellent story on every level. Burns was a man who had truly been railroaded and to persevere not once but twice made it an incredible read. I recommend this highly.
Abby
Interesting book- good read.
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Annelisa
Annelisa marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jamie Marfurt
Jamie Marfurt marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Chris Baker
Chris Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
James Mahoney
James Mahoney marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Saimary Osorio
Saimary Osorio marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kenny Kruse
Kenny Kruse marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Franky
Franky marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Regina Canzeri
Regina Canzeri marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ava Frost
Ava Frost marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kt. Slayer
Kt. Slayer marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jhollett
Jhollett marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Elliott Burns was a World War I veteran who gained notoriety after escaping from a Georgia chain gang and writing his memoirs exposing the cruelty and injustice of the chain gang system.
More about Robert Elliott Burns...
The Shape & Form Of Puget Sound Being Catholic, Being American: The Notre Dame Story, 1842-1934 The Best Of U. S. Catholic Irish Parliamentary Politics in the Eighteenth Century The Wrath of Allah