Start by marking “To Kill a Mockingbird (The Screenplay): And Related Readings” as Want to Read:
To Kill a Mockingbird (The Screenplay): And Related Readings

To Kill a Mockingbird (The Screenplay): And Related Readings

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Published January 1st 1900 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)

To ask other readers questions about To Kill a Mockingbird (The Screenplay), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Kill a Mockingbird (The Screenplay)

Bonnie
Oct 06, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Since my daughter is in 8th grade and will be reading the novel in 9th, I thought she'd enjoy getting a "jump" by reading this screenplay. We then discussed the possibility of Truman Capote being the author and read his short story in this book, "The Thanksgiving Visitor" as well as Langston Hughes' poem, "Freedom"...all of which are EXCELLENT. Thumbs up on all the works in this book. Sidenote: My grandmother went to high school with Gregory Peck (Atticus in TKAMockingbird) and I have her yearbo ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Oct 28, 2013 Michelle Llewellyn rated it liked it
Found this at a thrift store and now that I've had a chance to revisit the book again before watching the movie, I can finally get around to reading this screenplay. All I can say is, if you don't have time to watch the movie, this book will suffice as a handy reference. It's all here. There are no deleted scenes or lines. I dare you to read Atticus' lines without hearing in your head the sexy baritone of Gregory Peck who was born to play this role.
The essays and song lyrics at the end are also
Kat O
Jul 15, 2015 Kat O rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-for-work, 2015
This was the first year I taught the screenplay vs. the novel. It worked really well for my special class students and I was impressed with how few classes it took, which was good since we were coming down to crunch time. I gave out parts and they really got into it. Wish we could have read in auditorium and been a little theatrical. Next year!
Stacey Wanko
Aug 07, 2014 Stacey Wanko rated it it was amazing
I actually read the book because for some crazy reason I had never read it. Wow, is all I can say. One of the best books I have ever read. So sad to finish.
Carol
May 23, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
While this play constantly seemed like it was in fast forward compared to the book, it was very enjoyable. Scout still came off as the cute, tomboy little girl, and Jem was still the young mature leader of the group. Even though some of the novel's significance is lost in this shortened version, the large messages still are effectively portrayed.

This has been a great literary tool in teaching lower level high school students who would struggle with Harper Lee's novel. I highly recommend it for a
Steven
Sep 07, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: seen-movies, american
Successful screenplay adaptation of a class novel
Soobeen Hyun
Sep 09, 2013 Soobeen Hyun rated it it was amazing
Some of my friends like this book, but some of them hated this book. I personally liked this book at first time, but when I second time I read, I was confused. The title, To Kill a Mockingbird, does not mean only certain people from the book. I think Mockingbird stands for all the victims around the world who were scarified their life as a human to corrupted society.
It would be a good book to try to find the message that this book contain.
Lauren
Oct 17, 2009 Lauren rated it did not like it
Recommended to Lauren by: My Teacher
I hated this book. I only read it becase i had to for english claSS IN 9TH GRADE. It was so boring to me i didnt get the point of reading it. Maybe i didnt like it because i didnt throughly read it like i should have. I understood the whole deal with the racism and the tree. I guess this book just want for me. I don't usually go for this type of book.
Mida Mardhiyyah
Sep 03, 2014 Mida Mardhiyyah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Terpana dan jatuh cinta sepenuh hati pada Atticus. Tidak ada keraguan dalam dirinya untuk menjadi seorang "pembela"... :)
Zoila
Aug 27, 2013 Zoila rated it really liked it
To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic. Don't deprive yourself of it.
Anna
Aug 30, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Bible as a Public Defender.
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Susan Crowley
Susan Crowley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jg Correa
Jg Correa rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
May 28, 2016
Kvion Harrold
Kvion Harrold rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Brittney Joy
Brittney Joy is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2016
Cek  virabey
Cek virabey marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Brigid
Brigid added it
Mar 25, 2016
michael jacob avery
michael jacob avery rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Lilly Mangel
Lilly Mangel marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Aden Morvice
Aden Morvice rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Breaking Misfits
Breaking Misfits marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Albert Horton Foote, Jr. was an American playwright and screenwriter, perhaps best known for his Academy Award-winning screenplays for the 1962 film To Kill a Mockingbird and the 1983 film Tender Mercies, and his notable live television dramas during the Golden Age of Television. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1995 for his play The Young Man From Atlanta.
More about Horton Foote...