Start by marking “Ghost Fox” as Want to Read:
Ghost Fox

Ghost Fox

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A novel that shares a time and place with The Last of the Mohicans, relating the experiences of a young woman caught in the fury of the French and Indian Wars. Seventeen-year-old Sarah Wells is taken from a New Hampshire farm by Abnaki Indians and renamed "Ghost Fox." Line drawings by the Author.
Published May 7th 1993 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1977)

Indian Captive by Lois LenskiFollow the River by James Alexander ThomThe Ransom of Mercy Carter by Caroline B. CooneyCalico Captive by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Beaded Moccasins by Lynda Durrant
American Indian Captivity Fiction
24th out of 83 books — 33 voters
Comanche Moon by Catherine AndersonDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellReclaim My Heart by Donna FasanoEyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellComanche Heart by Catherine Anderson
Best Native American Romance
185th out of 269 books — 330 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla
Hannah
Apr 25, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it

Confession time.

The book cover I'm reviewing under isn't the one I actually own. My copy was bought (and first read), back in 1981. OK, so not a big deal, but when you read and review a book with this cover:
Ghost Fox by James Archibald Houston

people are bound to expect it's just another one of those lurid 1970's/80's bodice rippers filled with heaving white girl breasts and turgid manly Indian members swelling to the beat of tribal war drums.

And this book is so NOT that. In fact, Ghost Fox could more easily be compared with anoth
Kerrie
What started as a fun-sister-buddy-read quickly devolved into a constant bitchfest until its merciful conclusion.

I had hopes for this book. Not high hopes, but it had everything that would make it good. Time period, location (my homestate region), and subject matter of indian abduction/captivity/assimilation and the drama of being caught between 2 worlds. In theory it could have been an engaging read. But the execution was lackluster and disjointed and about as bland as eating plain white flour.
Tammy Walton Grant
I read this as a kid in a reader's digest condensed book and have never forgotten it. Would love to get my hands on a copy and re-read it.
TJ
While not always an easy read, this book is a highly recommended one. Mr. Houston has taken his extensive research of the Native American struggle during the French and Indian Wars and developed an honest and realistic story of a young woman taken captive and forced to live as a slave to the Indians. Through her, we see life as it was during that sad and brutal time. We follow her struggles as well as her triumphs and are left both satisfied and well educated.
gabrielle
Aug 30, 2008 gabrielle rated it it was ok
This is a good *story*, but I really didn't like the writing style. There were sudden shifts between characters & plotlines that left me confused.
Erica
Aug 12, 2007 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: past-reads
A random book I pulled off my grandfather's bookshelf when I was around 10 years old. This is a love story, set in early America when white colonists and Indians were at war, and young pretty girls got captured and accepted into Indian tribes. Well, that's pretty much what happened in this book, at least. My mother freaked when she saw what I was reading - but not after I learned much more than I needed to know at that age from the sex scenes and violent battles. She let me finish (I really want ...more
Lucy Crowe
May 26, 2014 Lucy Crowe rated it it was amazing
I was in high school when I last read this book - and I'm not going to tell you how long ago that was! I was afraid that it might no longer seem as wonderful to me now, as it did then, but I wasn't disappointed. What a wonderful read! I'm always a sucker for historical fiction, but this author truly outdid himself, and I felt completely transported back in time whenever time I opened the pages. The plight of Sarah Wells, a seventeen year old who was stolen by Abnaki Indians during the French and ...more
Dawn Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing
Another RDC. I truly enjoyed this book. Its funny, I remember the book but not a lot of details. It was quite awhile ago that I read it. But what I remember about it was really good. A good book about perseverance in the face of adversity, and how we can adapt to anything if we need to.
Kylie James
Mar 11, 2014 Kylie James rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, needs to made into a movie
Karen  Boruff
Sep 10, 2014 Karen Boruff rated it liked it
Interesting book and well written. I enjoyed it for the most part. There were times I felt disturbed by the story..but it was still worth the read. It is not your usual romance novel...and more a realistic view of the times and Native American culture. If you are looking for a light read this is not it. If you want a serious book, then you'll like this.
Diane Wachter
James Houston, RDC-M #2, 1977, @ 1977, 10/79. A novel about a 17 year old girl who is taken from a New Hampshire farm by Abnaki Indians and renamed "Ghost Fox" during the French and Indian Wars. Good.
Judith
Aug 13, 2011 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was published in the early 1970s, I believe, and I'm pretty sure it is out of print. I have a good memory of reading it when I was a child in one of the Readers' Digest Condensed books that my father subscribed to. I tracked down a copy of it and bought it, and read it again. It's not great literature, that's for sure, but it is an interesting story: In colonial, pre-Revolutionary times in North America, a white teenage girl is taken by a band of Indians. After a year or so of living w ...more
This is one of my favorite historical fiction books ever. I have read it several times.
Linda
Jul 10, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2008
I had planned to give the book three stars. The author seemed to have done a good job researching the French and Indian War, and I actually found the descriptions of tribal customs and the area very well done. The diaglogue and actions of the characters seemed unbelievable, especially toward the end of the book.

I read this book mainly because I found it at the library, and my mother's name was on the library card dating back to 1978. From the looks of the names on the card it was a very popular
Tracy
May 16, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
Originally published in 1977, this book has a few racial and gender insensitivities that would not be published today, but otherwise it's still enjoyable. It's a nice combination of a love story with an (apparently) solid historical setting of the French and Indian Wars during the mid 1750's. You'll need to forgive a few plot holes and a few plot points which are glossed over. Not the greatest character development either . . . but somehow the author brings the time period to life in a totally e ...more
Heidi
Feb 03, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was a teenager and loved it. It was in Moms collection. So I thought I would read it again. Wow, my opinion can change in 20 years. I still liked it but there were things that disturbed me now that apparently didn't back then. Overall, I enjoyed the Indians point of view and their way of life. I would not have liked to live in that time period but learning about it was facinating(sp).
Nancy Chaisson
Sep 07, 2009 Nancy Chaisson rated it it was amazing
Wow, I really loved this book when I read it as a young girl. I may have been 13 or so, and, to me this story had everything; romance, stirring images of violence, vivid portrayals of what life must have been like in that time. I think it is because of this book that I have a fondness for historical novels.
Carole
Jan 17, 2016 Carole rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book as a teenager. I don't often re-read books because there are just so many out new stories out there. But it's not often you read a book that stays with you for more than 35 years. It was nice to see it was as good as I remember.
Katie
Oct 08, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I first read this in an old Reader's digest condensed book years back. I loved the story and the absolute reality of both the natives and the European settlers while still being true to the perspective of the times.
Sep 08, 2007 Sarah added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: myfavoritebooks
This book is the reason I was named Sarah, it's an amazing tale of an english girl who was kidnapped and became part of a tribe... I don't want to ruin the story but she was a brave survivor!
Annie
Jul 31, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago as a teenager. I liked it so much that I remembered it as an adult and decided to buy another copy.
Steuart Osha
Nov 04, 2012 Steuart Osha rated it liked it
70s novel about settler woman captured by Abnaki Indians, enjoyable, in a hardships kind of way
Chrisl
Sep 21, 2014 Chrisl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite about captive Euro-American women adapting to Native American life.
Jeanne
I read this over and over I loved it so much when I was younger.
Kim
Jul 28, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
I read this in junior high and remembered loving it.
Elda
May 23, 2009 Elda rated it really liked it
Love this book. Historical with a touch of romance.
Jill
Sep 16, 2011 Jill rated it liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Hannah
Dyanne
Dyanne marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Jemma
Jemma rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
  • Creek Mary's Blood
  • Ghost Warrior
  • Lily
  • Lily Cigar
  • Jed (Rock Creek Six, #4)
  • The Rainbow Promise (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #2)
  • Follow the Wind (Spanish Bit Saga, #3)
  • The Wedding Night
  • Leigh (Women of Ivy Manor, #3)
  • The Way of the Coyote (Texas Rangers, #3)
  • Savage Wilderness
  • Looking for Jane
  • Fall from Grace
  • The Blooding Of Jack Absolute (Jack Absolute, #2)
James Archibald Houston was a Canadian artist, designer, children's author and film-maker who played an important role in the recognition of Inuit art and introduced printmaking to the Inuit.

[Note: because there are several authors named 'James Houston', these books have been listed using Houston's middle name].

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ar...
More about James Archibald Houston...