Start by marking “A Letter for Maureen” as Want to Read:
A Letter for Maureen

A Letter for Maureen (Maureen #2)

When it's Maureen's turn to chair the local book group meeting, choosing a new outfit turns out to be the least of her worries. A secret confided in Maureen by a fellow reader impacts on her life greatly over the following year. Then comes a revelation which could change the way Maureen lives her life altogether.

The disaster-prone Maureen, recently recovered from her comic
Published December 15th 2012 by Jonathan Hill

To ask other readers questions about A Letter for Maureen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Letter for Maureen

Karen (Kew)
May 13, 2013 Karen (Kew) rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this bittersweet comedy. It had me laughing out loud several times. I have become fond of Maureen since reading about her in Maureen goes to Venice. This is written in a witty and funny manner, but there is also a surprise twist to this tale which adds depth to the story. Maureen is not just a comic character but one that I have come to feel a great deal of sympathy and affection for.
Ruth
Feb 26, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: gentle-reads
I liked this book - hence the 4 stars. I have to admit that this isn't my normal choice of reading material at all and I had only picked it because I wanted something light and fluffy to read before I start on a much heavier tome. It was certainly light and fluffy, it had me laughing out loud once or twice, and it also had pathos. I would hate to run into Maureen - she would be given a very wide bearth from me - but she is growing on me as a character and I can see her developing very nicely - ...more
David Haynes
Apr 18, 2013 David Haynes rated it it was amazing
Having read Maureen’s other two adventures it felt very much like catching up with an old friend again.
For me, Maureen has always been about comedy and there are certainly a plethora of comic moments within the story. The whole theatre experience, including the pre performance meal and its consequences were the highlight for me and gave me a good laugh. The author is very adept at adding little nuggets of comedy in just the right places to bring about a laugh. - “My eye!” are only two words but
Kath Middleton
Dec 17, 2012 Kath Middleton rated it really liked it
This is the third time we’ve met Jonathan Hill’s monstrous Maureen and the second time she has had a novella all to herself. With the best of intentions she leaves chaos in her wake. One or two of the incidents in this book were a little over the top – she needs to be eye-wateringly ridiculous without being unbelievable. For me, Maureen works best when you can really see it happening; she’s at her most cringeworthy when you wonder if it could happen to you!

This book starts off full to bursting
Jenny Worstall
Apr 12, 2013 Jenny Worstall rated it it was amazing

Another wonderful adventure about Maureen from Jonathan Hill!

I particularly enjoyed the account of the Library Book Club meeting, chaired by the indomitable Maureen. We meet Nigel the librarian, desperate to catch people breaking the rules, Winston the book club bore (don't they all have one?), and a suspiciously familiar young man with red hair who spends his time observing Maureen and taking copious notes. During the meeting Maureen tries to pass off shop mince pies as her own baking and the e
Snoozie Suzie
Jan 29, 2013 Snoozie Suzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, read-2013
Maureen, I did feel sorry for you and your bumbling ways in this short story based around some major parts of your life - friendship, marriage, trust, and love. Your heart is in the right place, bless you, and we have seen you at your most vulnerable here. Keep going Maureen, I want to hear more about your life. You make me laugh, smile, cringe, and unfortunately you remind me a little of me.

The story itself unfolds in a great way going back and forth over a period of 5 years - in my opinion th
Geoffrey Wakeling
Feb 18, 2013 Geoffrey Wakeling rated it it was amazing
It's a rare occasion that I'm sucked so into a book that I discard everything else that I'm reading - but A Letter for Maureen had this effect.

It was the first time is chanced upon Maureen; an extremely comical character who always manages to get herself into difficult situations. Her inner voice is wonderfully written, and any reader will almost have certainly come across a number of Maureen's in their time.

Several moments in this novelette had me laughing away, and I raced through the book to
Matthew
Feb 14, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
What can I say about A Letter for Maureen? After Maureen Goes to Venice, I was expecting a story full of calamity, just what Maureen does best. The author, however, does something very different here, he weaves the usual Maureen comedy with a much darker, caring tale.

We see into Maureen's past and how she copes with a very sad turn of events in her present. The first story in the series is a fantastic tale, but Jonathan has opened up more about his main lead with this story and given her some he
Louise Warman
Mar 08, 2013 Louise Warman rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-indies
Jonathan Hill in the form of Maureen does not fail to entertain. In this third encounter with the ever calamity prone Maureen, her softer, more human side comes through and once again we are laughing with her rather more than at her. The first scene in the nursing home is a gem.
The end is an interesting, sobering twist.
Enjoyable, fun, cringe worthy. Although I still hanker slightly for the less sensitive Maureen from the first encounter, I'll always happily read more of her adventures.
Michael Brookes
Feb 24, 2013 Michael Brookes rated it it was amazing
This was far from my usual type of read and I like it when I come across something excellent that I wouldn't normally read. Like most good comedies the story contains some bittersweet moments.

Maureen is a bumbling character, a comedic character to begin with, but by the end she had matured greatly. Funny and moving this is a great read.
David Wailing
Apr 14, 2013 David Wailing rated it really liked it
Maureen's back! Run away! Hide anything she might break! But this time, that might include your heart.

I'm already a big fan of the character Maureen thanks to her previous two stories, and A Letter for Maureen is of the same high standard. The difference is that alongside the expected comedy, there's some pathos as we get a glimpse of Maureen's past. Jonathan Hill's writing skills prove up to the challenge of combining two different styles without diluting either one. The genuine sadness and tra
Lisa
Feb 23, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
Maureen is a large and clumsy although well-meaning lady who literally blunders through life. In this story we see her unwitting mishaps in her local book club (with a few well-chosen digs at librarians and the effect of Kindles on them), a local nursing home and a West End theatre. Maureen later discovers a dreadful truth about someone close to her heart which in an odd way, brings closure to losing them and releases her for the future.

I liked this book as Maureen is an amusing character (if al
Isabelle
Mar 18, 2013 Isabelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: nouvelles-courts
Outre le plaisir de retrouver Maureen, cette nouvelle la révèle sous un nouveau jour et donne vraiment envie de la retrouver dans un plus long format. La narration est plus fluide et plus nuancée que dans la nouvelle précédente ("Maureen goes to Venice") tout en conservant la douce folie du personnage. Un vrai petit bonheur de lecture.
Lisa
Feb 22, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
I must admit that for about 75% of this book I thought 'what am I reading?' - forgive me but it was about a horrible woman and old people doing stupid things. But I carried on (it's very short!) and the ending moved me. I generally get annoyed at bungling japes (Mr Bean springs to mind and I hate that) but I can admit that I enjoyed this story...not sure I could read another one though?!?!
Jay-me (Janet)
Jay-me (Janet) rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Vivian Perkins
Vivian Perkins rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Renata Ruby
Renata Ruby rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2013
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Helen Brookes
Helen Brookes rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Philip (sarah) Willis
Philip (sarah) Willis rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Jud (Disney Diva)
Jud (Disney Diva) rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Julieanne Lowe
Julieanne Lowe rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
D Laskiewicz
D Laskiewicz rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Pauline C
Pauline C rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Hils
Hils rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Peter Clark
Peter Clark rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Joo
Joo rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Kimberly Martin
Kimberly Martin rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Jonathan Hill is an author from Manchester, UK. His most significant work to date, 'FAG', a hard-hitting novel set in an English boarding school in the 1930s, was named as the overall winner in the Self-Published and Small Press 2014 Book Awards. Covering a wide range of genres, he has penned the hit comedy series of Maureen books and the novellas 'Pride' and 'The Anniversary'. He has also ...more
More about Jonathan Hill...

Maureen (4 books)